For you Woos Pro's, Name this wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's not an oak. The tree produces berries, but not mulberries.

It's a smooth skinned tree that started as a sapling that a renter planted. The lawn guys just let it grow and it has really taken off. Deciduous trees are hard to grow in Wyoming, let alone thrive.

Would like to plant some more since this is doing so well.

If ya' look at the base of the leaves they do NOT resemble the video points made regarding how the curve of the base of the leaves first goes down-stem and then re-directs UP-stem. These leaves all go upwards parallel to the stem. Details. I cannot offer a suggestion as to what it is though.

Possible oakleaf mountain ash, need berry pictures.

I think this is it. The leaf looks right, the flower in spring looks right, the bark looks right. Good Job, I would have never thought of that.

It appears it's a hybrid tree. What ever it is, it's hearty. Even in the unhospitable state for leafing trees, Wyoming. I think I'm going to get more of these.

Thanks

Thanks Guys,My bud is totally convinced its a yellow Birch- and yes, In Southern wi- I Think he's a Dem, because even with hard facts and actual proven statistics he just wont budge , Yellow Birch- it must be- Because he said so- and I'm wrong- just because- maybe send to a Trained Forester or a Horticulturist for exact science.

If I had a better phone I could get better Pics of the leaves, I did see small purplish round Berry,s on them, 1/4 " around if that helps, and small serrated edges-

Thanks Guys,My bud is totally convinced its a yellow Birch- and yes, In Southern wi- I Think he's a Dem, because even with hard facts and actual proven statistics he just wont budge , Yellow Birch- it must be- Because he said so- and I'm wrong- just because- maybe send to a Trained Forester or a Horticulturist for exact science.

If I had a better phone I could get better Pics of the leaves, I did see small purplish round Berry,s on them, 1/4 " around if that helps, and small serrated edges-
If your friend is certain that is a yellow birch and wants to argue facts, he is indeed a dem or a woman. But seriously, that is a hackberry. They can get up to 4 ft diameter here and are a sturdy tree . Yellow and black birch have bark that are more horizontal like a tame cherry tree. If you can crush some leaves or small twigs ,show him that it does not smell like wintergreen.

Ya it's getting pretty hard out there now days, but we do the best we can, even if it's tolerating the uninformed and miss guided- This all started with one of my neighbors telling me he had some wood cut down that was hanging over a house- , knowing I'm kind of a wood hore, he said I could have it- I said I'll burn it- so I went over to take a look at it and couldn't really figure out what it was-

So here we are- trying not to hurt to many feelings , Man I miss the old days where things weren't so sensitive- I'll look up Hackberry for the fireplace burning heat value- Stay strong my friends, It's going to be a Bumpy ride from here on out-

Latest posts

Back