Ford F-250HD or F-350 7.5L/460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody own this truck in the year models 1994 to 1996, 4x4, 4.10 gears? What kind of gas mileage? Recommended truck?

Kevin

Guy at work has a 95 dually, 4 door, 460, 5 speed. GEts about 8-10mpg, pulling or not.

i have a 97 f350 with a 7.3 psd and 4:11's

mileage is pretty good, never checked it out, but when i plow, the truck is running anywhere from 10-14 plus hours and I will not have to switch tanks, i can run just the front tank, the larger of the 2.

with the 4:11" though, it pulls like a mother, but you won't get anywhere fast. highway speeds are about 70 taching at about 2300 rpm.

you lose traction with this truck, long before you run out of power

I have had two 85 f 350 460 gas'rs not efficient 7 to 9 mpg with 410 gears.
Fairly durable though just not a gas miser probably could do better with a
higher ratio gears and manual tranny!

I am guessing that yours are carbed, and not fuel injected?

Kevin

Had an '88 f350 with a throttle body injected 460. It always got between 9 and 12 pulling or empty. I did get 13 one time, but I think it was a fluke.

Had an '88 f350 with a throttle body injected 460. It always got between 9 and 12 pulling or empty. I did get 13 one time, but I think it was a fluke.

That confirms what Wikipedia says; that '88 was the first year for the fuel injected 460.

Kevin

Had one, it got about 10-11 now I have an 86 with 460 and 4:11s and 4 gear with 4 barrel, it gets 9. I would rather get 9 mpg. and be able to work on it.

i have a 97 f350 with a 7.3 psd and 4:11's

mileage is pretty good, never checked it out, but when i plow, the truck is running anywhere from 10-14 plus hours and I will not have to switch tanks, i can run just the front tank, the larger of the 2.

with the 4:11" though, it pulls like a mother, but you won't get anywhere fast. highway speeds are about 70 taching at about 2300 rpm.

you lose traction with this truck, long before you run out of power

I eventually would like a diesel truck, but realistically I would be closer to getting a big gas truck. On paper, for what the Blue Book value of my '97 F-150, 4.6L, auto, 4x4, supercab, shortbox, with approx 143K; I'm close to the value of a '96 F-250, 7.5L/460, auto or man, 4x4, supercab, longbox, with 200K. So I might be able to sell my current truck and turn around and put the money into the other truck. I know there's more to it as a 3/4 ton truck with that many miles might need some maintenance and other work. I've said it before in other threads...I get by with my current truck, but I do need a 3/4 or 1 ton for my wood hauling. I have another vehicle for the family, so the truck is only used for hunting, firewood and other 'truck' chores. So I'm trying to get gas mileage results and comments. Most threads/discussions are on diesels...which I have read.

Kevin

Had one, it got about 10-11 now I have an 86 with 460 and 4:11s and 4 gear with 4 barrel, it gets 9. I would rather get 9 mpg. and be able to work on it.

I've heard and read that diesels cost more to maintain and I don't know very much about diesels, so most of the work (outside of minor maintenance) would have to be done by a proper mechanic. And from Blue book, a diesel in the truck I mentioned in my other post would be about $2200 more than the gas version. I know a diesel will get better fuel mileage, but I don't know if the price of diesel fuel makes it worth it. Probably not much for most folks, but lots for me. For what I would need a stronger truck for, I'm sure a big gas engine would work for me.

Kevin

+1 thats why I like my old 1965 f 250 4+4 4 speed granny 390 fe block.It is a bad azz truck imo and it gets12-15 mpg on the highway with 410 gears. I am thinking of restoring it and then putting holley projection and scj heads on it. The fe block is legendary at saying bye bye bow tie:cheers:

I am also thinking of making a hydrogen cell as it is way easier getting mixture correct with carb vehicles! I am rebuilding the 351 m in the f 350 this summer those two trucks would probably last my life time and I may sell my new Ram!

Last edited:

ford put multi point injection on the 460 from the beginning, not TBI.... my friends 91 gets roughly the same mileage

Back