Ford F-250HD or F-350 7.5L/460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently I was wrong. Just looked it up in a parts book, and it appears that the small blocks had throttle bodies, but not the big blocks. Go figure.

Apparently I was wrong. Just looked it up in a parts book, and it appears that the small blocks had throttle bodies, but not the big blocks. Go figure.

sort of correct,they have throttle bodys, but that doesn't make it TBI....they all had multi-port fuel injection in pickups.... TBI is a glorified carburetor, where as multi port has an injector for every cylinder...

sort of correct,they have throttle bodys, but that doesn't make it TBI....they all had multi-port fuel injection in pickups.... TBI is a glorified carburetor, where as multi port has an injector for every cylinder...

Yeah, I knew the difference in injectors. I always thought that truck had 2 injectors. But then, I never had it apart.

I've had a few 429/460's in numerous years truck but never a fuel injected one. I got 8-10 with my last one a 85 F250 w/ 3:54 gears. It was horrible I'll tell ya that!!! But your going to use it for wood and occasional use it would have all the balls you'd need.

The truck I had had enough power. I won a bet with a buddy one time. I put the thing in 5th gear on level ground, never hit the throttle, and slowly let off the clutch. It never died, just chugged along until it was doing about 20 miles per hour. Then, I put it in first and let it idle up a hill steep enough to need 4 wheel drive to get up. That was a nice truck.

I have an 85 with the 460. It's a standard cab, long bed, stick shift, long bed, 4 wheel drive. Just picked it up last week for $750. It's been getting between 6-8 mpg. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage, rather the towing power. This is my first 460, and I am pretty impressed.

I have an 85 with the 460. It's a standard cab, long bed, stick shift, long bed, 4 wheel drive. Just picked it up last week for $750. It's been getting between 6-8 mpg. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage, rather the towing power. This is my first 460, and I am pretty impressed.

I have some dove c heads and stealth aluminum intake harlin sharp roller rockers and high lift cam for early 460 I am going to build a monster again I may put it in this! Also the block is a d1ve a2b
early block thick walls easy stroker motor!

Last edited:
Is that what's been happening to the gas out of my patrol truck? :buttkick:

That will be a cool ride with a ton of power. I love that body style of Ford PU. My wife want's a 68,69 Ford PU. Her father and grandfather had one. She wants me to buy her one and restore it for her. I am looking forward to the project. Should be a lot of fun.

Fix that bad boy up a little and drive it for firewood. That's what I got this one for. Load it high, and heavy and putt down the road. The kids are already calling it my farmer truck. :cry: :greenchainsaw:

The only gasser I have owned since 1983 was a '95 F-350 4x4 w/ the 460. It was a great truck, not any problems, but only got around 10 mpg. I sold it to a buddy of mine at 140K on the clock, and he still owns it...still no problems.

I've had a few 429/460's in numerous years truck but never a fuel injected one. I got 8-10 with my last one a 85 F250 w/ 3:54 gears. It was horrible I'll tell ya that!!! But your going to use it for wood and occasional use it would have all the balls you'd need.

Sounds good. Looks like I'm going in the right direction.

Kevin

The only gasser I have owned since 1983 was a '95 F-350 4x4 w/ the 460. It was a great truck, not any problems, but only got around 10 mpg. I sold it to a buddy of mine at 140K on the clock, and he still owns it...still no problems.

That's what I'm wanting to hear.

Kevin

Sounds like a deal I'd like to find myself.

Kevin

Sounds good. Looks like I'm going in the right direction.

Kevin

You know you want one!!!

misc002.jpg

You know you want one!!!

misc002.jpg

Man, ya just gotta tease, that ain't right! :)

I've already told you in another thread that I like your truck...but realistically mine will have to be a big gasser...if/when I can sell my current truck.

Kevin

Whats your ceiling and are you willing to travel to get a PSD??

Right now I'm in scheme mode. Whatever I could sell my truck for is what I'd put into another truck. I already have a vehicle note...can't afford another. Blue book on my truck, for my zip, is $4905 for Good condition. It would be Excellent condition but for some small dents in the box, a slightly bent front bumper (I would have to point it out). Also there are some interior issues such as the knob for the power mirror adjustment is gone (still works); the shift indicator doesn't line up with the correct transmission position on the steering column (a broken clip to hold the cable needs to be replaced); I need to replace 1 or more light bulbs that light up the speedo and the passenger side power door lock actuator needs replacing (the warmer the weather, the better it works). Thus the Good condition I give it. I brought the truck down here from Canada when I moved...so the odometer is in km and the big numbers on the speedo are in km (small numbers in miles). This might turn away potential buyers. I haven't checked around locally on how much it would cost to get changed over. I'm sure I could find an U.S. instrument panel used somewhere, but not sure about changing the odometer.

And as for a PSD...there's the cost of working on one if I had to fix it. I have some mechanical skills, but not any when it comes to diesels.

And as far as how far I'd go...it would have to be a deal of a lifetime to go very far. Last June I did go to the Dallas area for my family wagon which is about 4 hrs. one way.

Kevin

Last edited:
I'll keep my eye's open for ya around here, diesel or gasser, being farm country and all there is always good deals on trucks, just last week they had a local 97 PSD crew cab with around 65,000 mi. for 5500.00. That sold fast

I'll keep my eye's open for ya around here, diesel or gasser, being farm country and all there is always good deals on trucks, just last week they had a local 97 PSD crew cab with around 65,000 mi. for 5500.00. That sold fast

Thanks. I'd like to fix the things I mentioned...dash lights, shift indicator (I might have to get the clip and cable as a unit from Ford...not cheap I'm sure), power mirror knob, and the power door lock actuator (if it's not to expensive) before I advertise it. Maybe make it more marketable.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back