Ford F-250HD or F-350 7.5L/460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, what you need is a Chevy. LOL, just kidding man.

F250s

Here's a PSD for $6500
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1000286182.html

Another PSD for $5500
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/999256887.html

If I were looking for a wood hauler I would go with something like this for $450
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1000422433.html

Or this
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1000030368.html

F350s

A 96 CC for $2k
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/1001793172.html

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/999024549.html

95 SuperCab
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/988296540.html

93 w/ new Jasper engine
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/976020347.html

Come on up Kevin!

rb_in_va,

My bro-in-law is a big GM fan...I couldn't get one to satisfy him...I'd probably never hear the end of it...:). Actually if I found a crazy-to-pass-on kind of deal on a old Chevy with a 454 spec'd like I would like, then maybe. But for now, Ford first.

I had forgotten about craigslist...I don't know how since this morning I was going to list a sofa and loveseat on it...:dizzy:. I'll have to check locally on there.

Kevin

rb_in_va,

My bro-in-law is a big GM fan...I couldn't get one to satisfy him...I'd probably never hear the end of it...:). Actually if I found a crazy-to-pass-on kind of deal on a old Chevy with a 454 spec'd like I would like, then maybe. But for now, Ford first.

I had forgotten about craigslist...I don't know how since this morning I was going to list a sofa and loveseat on it...:dizzy:. I'll have to check locally on there.

Kevin

Yeah, I use CL daily.

Kevin, what you need is a Chevy. LOL, just kidding man.

93 w/ new Jasper engine
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ctd/976020347.html

QUOTE]

This truck you posted could be a great find.Its a 93,so its the 7.3 IDI engine,a much better engine than the PSD,although it doent have as much power it is a better engine,much cheaper to maintain,and keep up.Much more reliable as well. Depending on what he wants.I hope someone from here gets to look at this truck.

Not the ones I've been part of:)

A bunch of my friends own the PSD ,and they all have had more trouble with them than the older 6.9-7.3. The old IDI engines are simple,injection system is basic ,and cheap,very little to go wrong. The biggest issues with them is glow plugs,and controllers.Even with both of them AWOL,a shot of ether,and your on your way.

The PSDs are nice,a decent engine,but when they get older,they have issues with the injector harness,injectors,HPOP,and injector seal leaks.Then theres the cam sensors,and IDM modules going out on trucks run in the salt region.

A bunch of my friends own the PSD ,and they all have had more trouble with them than the older 6.9-7.3. The old IDI engines are simple,injection system is basic ,and cheap,very little to go wrong. The biggest issues with them is glow plugs,and controllers.Even with both of them AWOL,a shot of ether,and your on your way.

The PSDs are nice,a decent engine,but when they get older,they have issues with the injector harness,injectors,HPOP,and injector seal leaks.Then theres the cam sensors,and IDM modules going out on trucks run in the salt region.

Yes true they do have some nagging issues, I had 150,00 on mine before a had to replace an injector, but all together I have replaced 5 now @300.00 a pop. The injector O-rings have been upgraded since the first ones, less orings, They were a problem too but a realitve easy fix if you have any mechanical ability, cam sensors yup them little buggers will leave yo stranded 3 in the morning on christmas day on the interstate far from home, I always carry a spare n the glove box... never again:) Easy to change though (2) 10mm bolts on the timing cover.

The biggest complaint I have with the PSD is their horrible glow plug relays, same as the 7.3 idi but 1/4 the price (hint, hint, hint) Every 2 years I have to replace that thing. I have 1/4 million miles on mine and thats all I've done to it, so far I'm happy with it and it still don't use a bit or drip oil.

Last edited:
Anybody own this truck in the year models 1994 to 1996, 4x4, 4.10 gears? What kind of gas mileage? Recommended truck?

Kevin

I had a 1997 F-250HD, with the 5 speed, 460 4x4, i got right around 10-11 and that was pulliing or not, and yes i would recommend that truck over my current truck which is a 99 F-250SD with the V-10 the automatic tranny

Last edited:
F-250

A little late reading this ----- But I have a 1997 F250 HD Super Cab 460 auto 112K miles . I ues it to pull my 32' Mobil Scout 5th wheel. it gets 8-9.5 mpg pulling and I have seen 13.8mpg IF i keep my foot ouy of it! I would like to have a Diesel ,but with things they are now it is going to have to wait. I know it won't be a New Ford with all the trouble they are having with the new ones!!

I've got a 2001 CC 4X4 7.3l and I get 12.5mpg around town if I keep my foot out of it. On the interstate I can get 15.5mpg. I haven't towed enough to give you any idea.

Between an F250 and 350 I'd get the 350 for the dana 60 front axle. I am not a fan of the front suspension set up on the F250ies. Also I'd look for a manual, they're a far more durable tranny than the auto.

Between an F250 and 350 I'd get the 350 for the dana 60 front axle. I am not a fan of the front suspension set up on the F250ies. Also I'd look for a manual, they're a far more durable tranny than the auto.

I don't know about the tranny's. The manuals aren't really all they are supposed to be. The dual mass flywheels come apart and create all kinds of problems. And it was a common problem int he early years 94-97. You can get single mass flywheel's but they aren't cheap by the time you replace the setup you could have bought a new auto tranny form Fords. I have had to replace my auto at 200k and it cost 2K from Fords, a rebuilt in Dearborn, MI. That is the only problem I have had with my tranny. I really don't think either is really great but having a choice I'd rather have teh auto, and I like to shift:)

I don't know about the tranny's. The manuals aren't really all they are supposed to be. The dual mass flywheels come apart and create all kinds of problems. And it was a common problem int he early years 94-97. You can get single mass flywheel's but they aren't cheap by the time you replace the setup you could have bought a new auto tranny form Fords. I have had to replace my auto at 200k and it cost 2K from Fords, a rebuilt in Dearborn, MI. That is the only problem I have had with my tranny. I really don't think either is really great but having a choice I'd rather have teh auto, and I like to shift:)

I've seen several auto's go bad ranging from 60,000 to 200,000 mi and know of a couple manuals that went 400,000 plus with near constant trailering. (my FIL owns a roofing business) These were all mated to powerstrokes though, maybe the flywheels hold up better under lowr rpm's?

Last edited:
I've seen several auto's go bad ranging from 60,000 to 200,000 mi and know of a couple manuals that went 400,000 plus with near constant trailering. (my FIL owns a roofing business) These were all mated to powerstrokes though, maybe the flywheels hold up better under lowr rpm's?

Around 96-99 I used to travel alot to horse show's with my then GF. Back then everyone used Powerstrokes to haul their gooseneck and bumper pull horse trailers. There was a lot of people complaining about their manuals and the problems with the clutch and dual mass flywheels. 10 years ago I could have went into specifics of the problems but I just don't remember them anymore. I used to hang out at a local diesel shop and run parts now and then in college. There was a place in South Bend Indiana that special made single mass flywheels, pressure plates and clutchs for the PSD all together was around 3K for all the parts. But it was bullet prof from what the Diesel shop said.

If the auto tranny lasted me 200k before it died, though I have a chip and it increases line pressure and makes the shifts alot firmer along with a larger accumulator valve in the valve body. I guess it just depends on the way it is operated and maintained. I'm happy with the auto for being a Ford tranny, I do a decent amount of pulling with gooseneck and Bobcat. They are greatly improved from teh earlier ones.

7.3 PS way to go

I have a '95 crew cab F250HD with a utility body. It's the 7.3 powerstroke, 4 spd auto tranny, and 4.10 gears. I currently have 219K mi on it. Leaks a little oil, but not much, just a drip, but all diesels do that when they are 14 years old. I keep probably 1500 lb worth of tools including the welder and compressor in it and get between 12 and 16 mpg depending on how I drive. Lowest I have gotten is 11.5 pulling 10k lbs. I know the fuel is more $, but the mpg is better so I figure its a wash, never really calculated the actual costs to own one or the other. The maintenance can be $, but I do all my own work, and when I bought the truck all the major stuff (injectors, o rings, glow plug harness, etc) was already replaced. I picked up the truck for $4800 and put about $1000 into it for all new brakes/lines, balljoints all the way around, and some tlc to the utility body. Hope that helps you in your decision.

I have a '96 F-350 single axle, manual, regular cab 4X4 with the Powerstroke diesel. Gets 15 MPG highway, two-tracks, whatever never changes. It has been a decent truck most of the time. My biggest problem that I have had has been in the Michigan winters. If I don't have additive in the fuel and one cold snap leaves me stranded. There is also a relay on the top of the engine that runs the glow plugs. This has went bad three times now in 8 years. The way I usually find out they are bad is the first cold morning when I am running late for work. The truck will act normal, wait to start light comes on, goes off, you think it is ready to start, its not. If I didn't have cold weather I would love mine. It is 13 years old so it has had some problems, but it has impressive power when it comes to pulling. This is where some of my problems come from. The Powerstroke has more torque than the rest of the powertrain can handle, especially when it gets older. If it matters to you, the 350's have a solid front axle, which is a bonus. I can't remember if the 250's have this, but it maybe something to look into. I have had it loaded heavily with wood and it acts like it doesn't even had a load on. Out to the highway and up to 55MPH like it is unloaded. Very good trucks, costly to repair, but worth the money. If you keep the maintenance up on them, I believe you'd be satisfied.

Latest posts

Back