Forester bar discovery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well sharp is not the issue I very good at sharpening so that's not it. I have not put it in any wood since yesterday's "oil screw turned off discovery" I did however go to a Husky shop in Central Maine today with a cousin of mine so he could buy 2 new chains for his saw. While in the shop " they are an old logging family and sell saws and logging acc." I asked the owner about his supply of Forester bars and was he having good luck with them. He told me he had been selling them for 5 years and the are hearing good things and they out sell his Husky , Oregon and Windsor bars at least 2 to 1.
I asked him about my issue and he said well it could be a bent crank like Troll said earlier. This saw came from a guy I work with he bought it new I also bought a S-65 as well at the time. Both saws were in great physical condition but REALLY dirty a real lack of being well maintained .Did the guy yank on the saw while the chain was stuck in a tree? Who knows but I should take the cover off and see if I can see any wobble in the clutch from the crank.
I did come home though and start the saw and blip it 8 or 10 times and the chain does not seem to be moving hard at any point that I can see. I don't have a dial indicator so I really don't know if there is a way to see if the crank is moving out of round. Cousin suggested that I try a known good running b/c to see if it still bothers.

I just went out to the shop and clamped up a jig to hold a small square at the top flat surface of the clutch. I turned it over many times and cannot see any change in the distance from the clutch drum to the square at all. I think form what I can see the crank is fine. The tip of the bar clamped to the bench top does have about 1mm of in /out movement of the sprocket teeth tips. If you use pliers and pull on the sprocket teeth you can move them into and out of the casing but like I said very very little. The drive sprocket seems fine and no signs of unusual wear I can see.

Try changing the rim sprocket I have had some Jack max rim sprockets be out of round doing the same thing you have discribed.

Since it's only happening on the one saw this may not be the problem, but every time I have a friend with a bar that started tight and went loose it is. When you loosen the bar nuts the tip will drop down. If you tighten up the chain and then tighten the bar with it in the dropped position, as you cut and put pressure on the bar it will push up and get loose. When ever I tighten a bar I put a block of wood under the tip to hold it up, and then tighten the bar nuts. It sounds like you know what you are doing and this won't be the case for you. But, for newbies, it often is, Joe.

Since it's only happening on the one saw this may not be the problem, but every time I have a friend with a bar that started tight and went loose it is. When you loosen the bar nuts the tip will drop down. If you tighten up the chain and then tighten the bar with it in the dropped position, as you cut and put pressure on the bar it will push up and get loose. When ever I tighten a bar I put a block of wood under the tip to hold it up, and then tighten the bar nuts. It sounds like you know what you are doing and this won't be the case for you. But, for newbies, it often is, Joe.

yea,.. I guess that may be common for some, but I've been doing what you describe all my life just second nature to me. Thanks anyway Jeff

Try changing the rim sprocket I have had some Jack max rim sprockets be out of round doing the same thing you have discribed.

yes if what I have done already doesn't solve the issue I will change the sprocket. I ought to buy 4-5 of em anyway just to have on hand I guess. It is the only thing left to try. But I have not run the saw yet and most likely wont for awhile. Next time I need a saw I will grab it. The next project I have is setting poles for my new pole barn tomorrow so I will be busy on that for awhile.

Even if you put another rim on it and it still does it. Could be the cranks out a bit. Have seen this on other makes of saws too. Put chain on and watch them get loose and tighten back up going around by hand turning. ;)

What size oil hole do you guys consider to be the best for a 20" or 18" bar?

Back