Found 056 and 048 for sale, need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been looking for a big saw to do some limited milling and quartering of large rounds. Won't get a lot of use. Local guy has a Stihl 056 (not sure if it's AV or Magnum) and an 048. The 056 apparently has a bad 'ignition module'. I have not contacted the seller directly yet, I got the info on both saws from a mutual friend of both me and the seller. What might be a reasonable asking price on either of these saws, assuming that they are both in average condition and the 056 does indeed need something with the ignition replaced? I want to be prepared to negotiate if necessary before I call the guy.

Look through the tradin post and completed auctions on ebay. You should be able to get a good feel for what is reasonable.

Sounds like the 56 has the Bosch ignition as they have a high failer rate. Replacement can get pricey. If it is a bosch the coil is no longer available unless you find a good used one. To convert to SEM you need the one piece flywheel (rare) and SEM coil. New SEM coil is $200 and flywheel no longer avail. again will need to find a used one
With this info go low ball em !!
good luck
gregz

Sounds like the 56 has the Bosch ignition as they have a high failer rate. Replacement can get pricey. If it is a bosch the coil is no longer available unless you find a good used one. To convert to SEM you need the one piece flywheel (rare) and SEM coil. New SEM coil is $200 and flywheel no longer avail. again will need to find a used one
With this info go low ball em !!
good luck
gregz
All true - but you left off the fact that used ignition modules are very common - it's the same part no as used on the TS350 and TS360 cut off saws (1108 400 0800)

Latest posts

Back