Found a nice 272xp today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What were the specs on the 272xp? 4.9 or 5.2hp?

It was a true 72cc I believe with 52mm
On a shorter stroke, 5.2 hp
Does have some interchangables with the
Old 61, 266 268 and 670 ,630... Jonny's

I Bought a new one in the early 90's but it had a buzz I couldn't tune out or figure out so at the end of the first day I tried to take it back and they disagreed and said "thats just the saw...thats how it feels"
I said "BS...Ive ran lots of them"and said I couldn't run that. Hes like..."I can't sell it now" So I took a $100 hit to walk.
I do use the pistons on my 372BBs
Flat top and dome.
I bought a 266 of Walkers in '94 with a 272 head on It. That was the most badazz
Saw I ever owned...FAST! I couldn't believe how much you could turn it up.
Lost it in a fire though.

That's a nice saw. I just finished a 61/272 conversion tonight. I can't get over 200 series saws.
Oh nice...thats the way to go.
Any porting or Mod muffler?
I Had a older stock 61 but never liked to run it until I slaped a muffler on it.
What a huge difference.
If was actually not a bad saw after that.

I couldn't wait to put her in the bed of my truck!
4ce7.jpg

A fair amount of 2xx series saws around here.....but I've not seen any as nice as the OP's. I picked up this pair last fall......both owned by the same guy since new. In fair condition for their use/age....both pulpwood saws. The 262XP is an early one.....like 90 or 91...and the 272 is a 94. Dirty as sin from use and softwood pitch and the 262 is sporting a 261 recoil. It runs but needs a complete going through.......the 272 is in better condition but has no fire.....both need a total overhaul/cleaning........but for $100.00 for the pair delivered to my shop I'll not complain.......someday I'll find time....

Nick's 359 and new XPs 009.JPG Nick's 359 and new XPs 010.JPG Nick's 359 and new XPs 011.JPG Nick's 359 and new XPs 012.JPG Nick's 359 and new XPs 013.JPG Nick's 359 and new XPs 015.JPG Nick's 359 and new XPs 016.JPG

What were the specs on the 272xp? 4.9 or 5.2hp?

Originally 3.8 kW/5.2 hp - but the current Brazilian made ones have a slightly lower rating (.2 kW/.3 hp less). I don't know the reason.
It may even be just a marketing thing, to make the power differense between the 372 and the 272 look a bit larger.....:D

My older cousin had a small tree company several years ago and had bought a new 272 and 394. He always swore by them. Always told my Grandpa his 272 would take his 044. Nothing ever came of it that I know of. I asked about the saw about a month ago and he told me he sold it when the 372's first came out and wished he still had both as he hates the x torq 372's.

The early 044s had lower HP ratings than the later 044s and 440, but generally run stronger.

IMO, in timbering (at least in the East), the 044/440 and 272/372 were generally the standard by which all other pro saws were judged. The combination of very respectable power and fairly light wt is, to this day, tough to beat.

Originally 3.8 kW/5.2 hp - but the current Brazilian made ones have a slightly lower rating (.2 kW/.3 hp less). I don't know the reason.
It may even be just a marketing thing, to make the power differense between the 372 and the 272 look a bit larger.....:D
Always good to see you posting Niko My Friend!!!! :drinking::givebeer:

Latest posts

Back