Found in an old log cabin being torn down in Missouri

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank Z

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We were cleaning out an old log cabin before it was being taken down, and wound up finding a full 6 pack of McCulloch oil. This oil has got to be pretty old (Vintage)
It is packed in cans that require an old opener that would cut a triangle in the top of a tin can. I have seen McCulloch oil in cans that have an aluminum pull cap but none like these. I still use McCulloch saws in some situations but am moving on at age 83 to lighter equipment. Anyway, anyone else seen oil like this? I would feel guilty opening any of these cans. It would just seem insensitive!Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 1.22.59 PM.pngIMG_1656.jpg

Dad bought a bunch of Suzuki branded engine oil around 1986 with the same style cans. He used that oil for every bit of 15 years before using it up, maybe longer. In hind sight I wish I would have saved a quart of it for display purposes.

Dang I feel old as all those types of cans sound "normal" to me. I could probably date myself even more as growing up all the mike the milkman delivered to our house had a couple inches of cream on the top.
Know what you mean... I have a couple of those can openers in my kitchen, they come in handy for popping the vacuum on hard to twist jars.
I always use one to open a can of evaporated milk and other canned juices.
1714780471204.png

Dang I feel old as all those types of cans sound "normal" to me. I could probably date myself even more as growing up all the mike the milkman delivered to our house had a couple inches of cream on the top.
We lived on a hill. I'll always remember the sound of the Divco Milk trucks reaching the top of the hill. You had to remove the foil cap carefully to replace it so Mom didn't know someone got the cream out.

My closest big town of 200ish total didnt have milkman, we went to dairy a half mile east of that town with 3 one gallon jars once a week.
this milk post got me to thinking, that little town when I was a kid had 3 gas stations, a grocery store, a hardware, a restaurant, Coop elevator, telephone office, mechanical repair shop, a blacksmith, 1st grade - HS, a general store, 2 furbuyers,and 2 logmills,2 churches a library and post office, now 50 years later it has a part time post office, and beer joint and is full of the dregs of society.

We were cleaning out an old log cabin before it was being taken down, and wound up finding a full 6 pack of McCulloch oil. This oil has got to be pretty old (Vintage)
It is packed in cans that require an old opener that would cut a triangle in the top of a tin can. I have seen McCulloch oil in cans that have an aluminum pull cap but none like these. I still use McCulloch saws in some situations but am moving on at age 83 to lighter equipment. Anyway, anyone else seen oil like this? I would feel guilty opening any of these cans. It would just seem insensitive!View attachment 1174019View attachment 1174020
Those cans are mid-late 70's roughly,before they went to those little plastic bottles like everyone else did around that time.The ones with the aluminum pull tab are actually a few years newer (early 70's with different logo & graphics) than these hard to believe.I have an intact 6 pack of them with cardboard sleeve carrier. They were sold in the standard 6 ounce size,plus I have a full unopened 16 ounce & empty 1 quart can as well.DSC03295.JPG

Nice find I have 1 of them in my collection.You dont see intact 6 packs of the 2 cycle mix that often.DSC02213.JPG

I am sending a map to give the placement of Sunrise Beach to Springfield!
At legal road speeds it is 94 minutes!

HankScreen Shot 2024-05-04 at 10.02.19 AM.png

And just to add, there were 3 log cabins built by one family from the days of building Bagnell Dam, by the then Union Electric company.
In the early 70's we bought one of the cabins that was in the best condition, and we used it for family gatherings and get togethers, into the early 80's.
All three of these cabins were on the waters edge of Lake of the Ozarks around the 36 mile marker. The name of our cove is Welcher cove. Our neighbors from KC owned the next door cabin and they eventually asked us if we wanted to buy it. We did, and that cabin, in very bad shape, is where the 6 pack of oil was recovered. All 3 of the cabins were built by one family, about 1929-30, from logs cut from the now Lake bottom area and hauled up the slope with, I venture, horses or mules! This Missouri area had been a log cutting area for many years and there is still to this day visibility of where logs were moved down a chute to the then Osage river for moving to the saw mill. The Chute is around the 38 mile marker, Just FYI! Not many left that review or know the history any more!

Hank

And just to add, there were 3 log cabins built by one family from the days of building Bagnell Dam, by the then Union Electric company.
In the early 70's we bought one of the cabins that was in the best condition, and we used it for family gatherings and get togethers, into the early 80's.
All three of these cabins were on the waters edge of Lake of the Ozarks around the 36 mile marker. The name of our cove is Welcher cove. Our neighbors from KC owned the next door cabin and they eventually asked us if we wanted to buy it. We did, and that cabin, in very bad shape, is where the 6 pack of oil was recovered. All 3 of the cabins were built by one family, about 1929-30, from logs cut from the now Lake bottom area and hauled up the slope with, I venture, horses or mules! This Missouri area had been a log cutting area for many years and there is still to this day visibility of where logs were moved down a chute to the then Osage river for moving to the saw mill. The Chute is around the 38 mile marker, Just FYI! Not many left that review or know the history any more!

Hank
Nice story! A friend bought a house in the country and planned to tear it down. When they did, they found it had been built around a log cabin built around 1817. I tried to salvage some logs, thinking they might be Chestnut, but were White Oak. I was able to make a couple mantles but that was it - too far rotted.

I found these in a recent barn clean-out. Oil cans I think are 1983. I don't know about the coffee can, but I like the marketing on it about not needing key to open it.

Attachments

• DSC02187.JPG
    DSC02187.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02186.JPG
    DSC02186.JPG
  • DSC02185.JPG
    DSC02185.JPG
Nice story! A friend bought a house in the country and planned to tear it down. When they did, they found it had been built around a log cabin built around 1817. I tried to salvage some logs, thinking they might be Chestnut, but were White Oak. I was able to make a couple mantles but that was it - too far rotted.

Your message got me remembering.... On our cabin teardown, there really was nothing salvageable, not even for firewood, due hidden nails, Concrete chink, and getting a chain saw involved was not in my plans. Cleaning up rotted pieces, there just was not much left! Anyway, here in our rural community, I took one summer with no winds and a water hose hook up and I sat and monitored burning all the wood! A neighbor about 2 city block came down and thought I was smoking meats as he smell hickory smoke! My smeller is kind of not working and all I smelled was ??? Anyway some of the logs in that old cabin were hickory and had enough left in them to put out an aroma of hickory!

It is packed in cans that require an old opener that would cut a triangle in the top of a tin can. I have seen McCulloch oil in cans that have an aluminum pull cap but none like these. I still use McCulloch saws in some situations but am moving on at age 83 to lighter equipment. Anyway, anyone else seen oil like this? I would feel guilty opening any of these cans. It would just seem insensitive!View attachment 1174019View attachment 1174020
Wow, man that is cool!

Buckin Billy Ray, Tin Man, and the Bellhopper would love this I am sure.
Please don't open them up! 😁

My closest big town of 200ish total didnt have milkman, we went to dairy a half mile east of that town with 3 one gallon jars once a week.
this milk post got me to thinking, that little town when I was a kid had 3 gas stations, a grocery store, a hardware, a restaurant, Coop elevator, telephone office, mechanical repair shop, a blacksmith, 1st grade - HS, a general store, 2 furbuyers,and 2 logmills,2 churches a library and post office, now 50 years later it has a part time post office, and beer joint and is full of the dregs of society.
And the people that grew up in towns like that put a man on the moon. Oh well, at least stocks are doing okay I guess...

Back