Found Some Old Doud Fir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

820wards

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Found Some Old Doug Fir

I was talking to my neighbor a few weeks back about my mini-mill revision I had been working on, when he asked me if I would be interested in some Douglas Fir boards. So I'm thinking he's got a few 2x6's maybe 2x8's that he wanted to get rid of. Then he said they were slabs, now my ears perk up. He says, 'they are about 9' long, 28" or so wide and 2-1/4" thick. Now he has all of my attention. He says I can have them or he's going to cut them up for fire wood.

So we head to his house and in his backyard covered up is nine slabs of Doug Fir that he was given 30 years ago and has has stored in his backyard. The person he got the slabs from parents, had passed away and he wanted to get them out of the yard. The story goes, his Dad had them milled ten years prior to his death to use as a floor in a barn to park his tractor on and they were never used. So we are pretty sure the slabs are at least forty years old. I have lived next to this neighbor for 25 years and never knew he had this wood.

Another member here, Bluerider is in need of some Doug Fir for building doors for his 80+ year old house. We have made arrangements to swap this Doug Fir for some Black Walnut the member has in trade. I'm going to keep one slab to build a bench, so Bluerider will get the remainder of the slabs and my neighbor will be getting some Black Walnut for him to make gun stocks, pistol grips and knife handles.

I cannot believe how good this wood looks knowing it was milled 40 years ago. Here are some pictures.

jerry-

The long slab in this picture is 13'6" long and the short wide board is 9' long and 38" wide. The slabs were pressure washed to clean the dust/dirt. Dry now.

attachment.php

Slabs after pressure washing yesterday.

attachment.php

Closeup of the grain.

attachment.php

View of slabs laid out drying.

attachment.php

Look at that color.

attachment.php

You just never know what you'll find in your neighbors back yard...:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Nice find. Fir for Black Walnut nice trade.

Thats great! beautiful boards! Good grain no cracks and flat! Ya gotta love it. Help someone else out and a great trade to boot.

Billy

good score jerry. looks like nice tight growth rings on the doug fir too. that should be some stable wood. tell bluerider to post pics when he makes his door.
:pumpkin2:

Several years ago I torn down an old building on my farm. I salvaged some 2 x 8 boards, and my Dad said they were fir and that even though they were old, I could drive nails in them and they would not split. Later, when I remodeled my kitchen I wanted to widen the 2 x 4 exterior wall studs to 2 x 6 for added insulation. Remembering what Dad said about those fir boards, I ripped them into 2x2s and nailed them onto the 2x4s and it worked great. That never would have worked with most other woods without predrilling holes.
Would those old boards have been douglas fir? Being from Iowa I have no other experience with douglas fir.

my Dad said they were fir and that even though they were old, I could drive nails in them and they would not split.
Dry doug fir splits easily. It's particularly hard to toenail by hand without cracking and splintering.

On the other hand, it's a pleasure to frame with green doug fir. Easy to nail, and no splitting.

Dunno what your split resistant species would be.

Several years ago I torn down an old building on my farm. I salvaged some 2 x 8 boards, and my Dad said they were fir and that even though they were old, I could drive nails in them and they would not split. Later, when I remodeled my kitchen I wanted to widen the 2 x 4 exterior wall studs to 2 x 6 for added insulation. Remembering what Dad said about those fir boards, I ripped them into 2x2s and nailed them onto the 2x4s and it worked great. That never would have worked with most other woods without predrilling holes.
Would those old boards have been douglas fir? Being from Iowa I have no other experience with douglas fir.

They very well could have been Doug Fir. It is really stable wood. These slabs have no warp-edge to them at all. When ages it has a nice golden color.

jerry-

Dry doug fir splits easily. It's particularly hard to toenail by hand without cracking and splintering.

On the other hand, it's a pleasure to frame with green doug fir. Easy to nail, and no splitting.

Dunno what your split resistant species would be.

If you're talking framing lumber than it wood be spruce ... Englemann spruce around here and lodgepole pine as it all gets lumped into the same SPF sort. The only thing doug-fir is used for framing wise here is floor joists and even less so now with the engineered I-joists.

I've toe nailed a lot of spruce studs and they will not split - although most framing lumber is not green (14-20% MC) its not 30yr old bone dry timber either.

If you're talking framing lumber than it wood be spruce ... Englemann spruce around here and lodgepole pine as it all gets lumped into the same SPF sort. The only thing doug-fir is used for framing wise here is floor joists and even less so now with the engineered I-joists.

I've toe nailed a lot of spruce studs and they will not split - although most framing lumber is not green (14-20% MC) its not 30yr old bone dry timber either.

This wood will be used for making inside doors for a 80yr old house restoration project.

jerry-

This wood will be used for making inside doors for a 80yr old house restoration project.

jerry-

So joinery and no nails to worry about. I have some old (90yr) doug-fir flooring that I used for a project and had to pre-drill anything that was going to be nailed or screwed. It was quit brittle, esp. on the ends. Machined ok though!

Pictures of the finished project would be a must!

So joinery and no nails to worry about. I have some old (90yr) doug-fir flooring that I used for a project and had to pre-drill anything that was going to be nailed or screwed. It was quit brittle, esp. on the ends. Machined ok though!

No nails or screws, just joinery.

Pictures of the finished project would be a must!

I'll let bluerider know that we have to get pictures of those doors. He's coming Saturday to pick the wood up.

jerry-

Latest posts

Back