Four different wood ID for you guys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes honey locust....the thornless kind is what i cut up a few months ago and it look exactly like the wood in the picture...its pretty much all cut, split, stacked and dry now but ill look tomorrow for a chunk to take a picture of. As for the ends checking... well that happens in about a week after its cut. I dont recall cutting mulberry anytime in the recent past that im aware of... but looking at other pictures of mulberry bark its nothing like the honey locust here in pa...

Im in Pa prolly within an hour or two from the OP... I cut a tree that looked exactly like the one pictured...not a little bit but EXACTLY a few months ago. You can only offer a guess that the wood pictured is old and the color turned red from yellow... and a story from your childhood as a reason why you think its mulberry. I think Ill stick with honey locust...along with pretty much everyone else here.

Oh , you haven't cut a Mulberry tree before ? So you don't know what it looks like or how it seasons. That explains plenty. They do grow there in PA.

I'm basing my wood ID on experience of wood I have cut, split, seasoned and burned regularly. The fact that I spent a great deal of time in that old mulberry, before burning it, should only further my ability to identify the wood it or others like it produce. at a glance. I been to PA, last I knew Mulberry there looks the same as here. Same for other species of trees.

I made no guesses and didn't use the words "I think". If you are going to quote me , please do a better job of it. I never said his wood was old or that mulberry is red. I said fresh cut Mulberry is yellowish and quickly turns that color of orange from exposure.

It's Mulberry in 4/5. I don't know what you cut a month back, but having bean pods and no thorns doesn't make it Thornless Honey Locust.

Last edited:
Oh , you haven't cut a Mulberry tree before ? So you don't know what it looks like or how it seasons. That explains plenty. They do grow there in PA.

I'm basing my wood ID on experience of wood I have cut, split, seasoned and burned regularly. The fact that I spent a great deal of time in that old mulberry, before burning it, should only further my ability to identify the wood it or others like it produce. I been to PA, last I knew Mulberry there looks the same as here. Same for other species of trees.

I made no guesses and didn't use the words "I think". If you are going to quote me , please do a better job of it. I never said his wood was old. I said fresh cut Mulberry is yellowish and quickly turns that color of orange from exposure.

It's Mulberry in 4/5. I don't know what you cut a month back, but having bean pods and no thorns doesn't make it Thornless Honey Locust.

Youre right I havent cut a mulberry that I know of in quite some time....when was the last time you cut thornless honey locust? As far as not knowing what I cut a little while back... IT WAS A THORNLESS HONEY LOCUST!!!!! The beans, the wood, the leaves, everything....... honey locust. Can you tell me another tree with 8" beans... pinnate leaves... and pink to orange heartwood?

1 white pine
2 hemlock
3 sumac
4 poison ivy ( i think)
5 spruce
6 cedar

What do i win?

1 and 2 look like some variety of white oak
3 is some kind of maple
4 and 5 I have never seen any around here
6 is black gum.

Here are a few pics of some wood I just pick up. I'm new to wood identification so just looking for some help. Thanks guys.

Four different pieces of wood, not sure what they are but they are all heavy, my back is tired!

These two pics are from the same tree
302b9t5.jpg

wcn7e1.jpg

2ed41fk.jpg

2hs6t8g.jpg

2cfurk3.jpg

2b4hmv.jpg

Bump

4&5 as well as the other pics are,

Firewood.

there are many differences in color, bark etc. on the same species of tree. Amount of sun/shade, minerals in the soil, fertility, the list goes on and on. Trying to I.D. a tree from a pic of the grain or bark can be full of pitfalls.

I'm the one who posted this thread . . .
I'm sorry to disappoint the guy who thinks 4 and 5 are Mulberry. . .

4 and 5 are not Mulberry, I have 3 cords of Mulberry. I agree it looks like it but it never got sappy around the edges when I cut it. I cut a ton of Mulberry and this isn't it.

3 is Maple - from what a guy who works at a mill told me. I never saw maple look like that before, it def. threw me for a loop.

Not sure on 1 and 2 or 6. This is why I asked.

Great response though guys, thank you this def. helped me out.

I'm the one who posted this thread . . .
I'm sorry to disappoint the guy who thinks 4 and 5 are Mulberry. . .

4 and 5 are not Mulberry, I have 3 cords of Mulberry. I agree it looks like it but it never got sappy around the edges when I cut it. I cut a ton of Mulberry and this isn't it.

3 is Maple - from what a guy who works at a mill told me. I never saw maple look like that before, it def. threw me for a loop.

Not sure on 1 and 2 or 6. This is why I asked.

Great response though guys, thank you this def. helped me out.

1 and 2 look like black gum

Back