four man hrs. per cord.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neighbor paid $1.79 gl. for a 1000 gl propane yesterday. Ouch!

Glad to be on prebuy. But I will continue to suppliment burning wood as long as I can at that rate.

Roughly 3.6 cu/meter to a cord.
Derivation:
There are 4.74 cu yd per full cord (128 cu ft). There are 1.308 cu yd/cu meter. So, 4.74/1.308 = 3.62 cu meter/full cord.

Note to Sixonetonoffun: Obama forced the price of propane to $6 a gallon in the Midwest about five years ago when he shipped huge quantities of USA propane to China. Many in the Midlands would say that $1.79/gal for propane is dirt cheap compared to back then.

Derivation:
There are 4.74 cu yd per full cord (128 cu ft). There are 1.308 cu yd/cu meter. So, 4.74/1.308 = 3.62 cu meter/full cord.

Note to Sixonetonoffun: Obama forced the price of propane to $6 a gallon in the Midwest about five years ago when he shipped huge quantities of USA propane to China. Many in the Midlands would say that $1.79/gal for propane is dirt cheap compared to back then.

Same as here in Australia, they flog all of our gas off to China for 5 cents a litre and we pay 80 cents a litre for it at service stations, it’s the same as our uranium and just about everything really, I believe the economy would be so much better if we didn’t clog it all off to China

Years ago I made a four way wedge for splitting on my cradle splitter with a 60,000 lb capacity ( 6'' ram ) and 18 HP with 28 CFM. It did not work well at all. Knots would come up too often and cause the splitter to twist way too much. For those that have easy wood to split you have my blessings. I have never seen it work in California. I used to work with some one who had a guillotine to split large hardwood and he struggled with two 6'' rams a 60 HP Perkins so did not feel bad about my process. Four hours to process wood is totally impossible period and every body knows this. Some aspects could be done in four hours, but not all. Walk up to any tree 2' or 5' tree and drop it in 1/2 hour, limb it in 1 hour, cut it to rounds in 1 hour, load it on to a truck in 1/2 hour, process the wood to split with the best splitter in the world 1/2 hour, stack the wood onto a truck 1/2 hour if you are superman for the rest of the human world will take 1 hour, deliver the wood with a dump truck or dumping trailer 1 hour for the real world it take close to 2 1/2 hours. So in a fantasy world it is possible to process wood in 5 hours, but in real life after putting fuel in the splitter and saw then sharpen a saw it is possible for one guy to go though a cord in 6 or 7 hours. Several companies boasted that they go through 5 or 6 cords a day per person so I called them out on it. I volunteered my time so I could learn how to move faster. Never was any claim ever supported. The largest operation in the world as far as I can tell was one I worked at for several years. They had an unlimited budget for trucks equipment and manpower. The sawyer could cut 12 cords a day of Oak, the mechanic could sharpen about 60 chains a day, the service man could overhaul about 2 saws a day, the cook and assistant could prepare about 300 meals a day every one I knew ate 4 times a day, the loaders could scoop up about 30 cords a day, the dump truck drivers could haul about 30 cords a day, the splitters could process about 50 cords a day, then there were office people to order food and replacement stuff including tires and oil. 55 people in all. 50 cords a day for months. Thanks
Everyone's conditions are different. You make the assumption they are all the same. I don't go up to a tree and cut it down for the most part, mine is delivered in logs with no limbs. The original poster never mentioned anything about deliveries BUT in my case, I hardly ever drive more than 20 minutes on way. Most are 10-15 minutes away. I also don't stack on the truck, I throw in loose and can load a cord by myself in 20 minutes (no I'm not superman, I just work). The original poster does not come in here pounding his chest saying how great he is but for some reason you decide to call BS on him and fill us full of detail of the so called world's largest operation because why??

Hey J I do make any assumptions. Any assumption you have does not appear accurate. In many years have heard of claims and not yet have seen claims about how well some produce wood proved to be true. Your situation is different then some since you process wood and deliver it. As I stated you accomplish a certain aspect of your wood sales in record time which is great. You probably are superman. My point has been from start to finish it takes longer than 4 hours period. Some are better than others for sure, but still takes longer. As you mention you have logs available we do not. Many people will not accept wood that is not stacked and some places it is illegal, but you have a system to bypass that so you are blessed. In my area it takes several hours just to get the wood to a processing area, but then my guess is we have the highest prices. Thanks

Hey J I do make any assumptions. Any assumption you have does not appear accurate. In many years have heard of claims and not yet have seen claims about how well some produce wood proved to be true. Your situation is different then some since you process wood and deliver it. As I stated you accomplish a certain aspect of your wood sales in record time which is great. You probably are superman. My point has been from start to finish it takes longer than 4 hours period. Some are better than others for sure, but still takes longer. As you mention you have logs available we do not. Many people will not accept wood that is not stacked and some places it is illegal, but you have a system to bypass that so you are blessed. In my area it takes several hours just to get the wood to a processing area, but then my guess is we have the highest prices. Thanks
If I were superman, I would just cut the tree, buck it to fireplace length, split it, and deliver it with my laser vision eyes...oh man, that possibilities!

One thing I found out is that if I do not pack the pickup truck tight and instead throw it in loose, the customer wants an immediate $30 discount, even if the loose pile mounds above the sideboards. You cannot blame them for that because the packed truckload holds more firewood. When packed tight, I can get four rows of 16" to 18" splits in, and each row is close to 100 splits apiece as shown in my avatar. It takes at least an extra half hour to pack those four rows.

Same as here in Australia, they flog all of our gas off to China for 5 cents a litre and we pay 80 cents a litre for it at service stations, it’s the same as our uranium and just about everything really, I believe the economy would be so much better if we didn’t clog it all off to China

Here it's natural gas that's going to the Chinese.

There's a ~10,000 acre logging job in the works/runors, the Chinese bought and are going to ship the wood.

How the hell does that make sense?!

Most commercial firewood operations around here have 14 cord loads of processor quality logs delivered. A large processor can run 2-3 cords per hour with one guy loading and one guy running the processor. The split wood is conveyored to into large cones on a concrete pad and left to dry. Some places will turn the plies once in awhile with a loader. When it is time to deliver the wood is loaded loose onto a dump truck or trailer. Takes about 10 minutes with a decent loader. No one around here stacks wood in the customers driveway and customers don't expect it. I've done a few thousand deliveries this way with no issues. If it took four man hours nobody would make money.

Most commercial firewood operations around here have 14 cord loads of processor quality logs delivered. A large processor can run 2-3 cords per hour with one guy loading and one guy running the processor. The split wood is conveyored to into large cones on a concrete pad and left to dry. Some places will turn the plies once in awhile with a loader. When it is time to deliver the wood is loaded loose onto a dump truck or trailer. Takes about 10 minutes with a decent loader. No one around here stacks wood in the customers driveway and customers don't expect it. I've done a few thousand deliveries this way with no issues. If it took four man hours nobody would make money.
In Nebraska, if I dropped firewood in driveways, I would have been out of business five years ago. Half of my customers don't even own a wheelbarrow, so how are they going to move the pile of firewood from the street to their garage or back yard? Seems like most of their kids (and their parents) are operating cell phones and texting to their friends.

Wood Doctor in Ontario we plan for winter. I've never stacked wood at a customer either. Most are dumped in driveway for customer to pile in garage or dumped in sideyard to a basement window. I also live in a pretty rural area and have both a dump trailer and a dump truck so I just take whichever it easier to access where they want it dumped.

Here it's natural gas that's going to the Chinese.

There's a ~10,000 acre logging job in the works/runors, the Chinese bought and are going to ship the wood.

How the hell does that make sense?!

I don’t know how the government can just let good wood go straight out the door to China like that, same thing happens here where I live, the local sawmills put wood into shipping containers and ship the wood away as logs

What part? 10K acres is about 15 square miles, 4 miles by 4 miles. They bought it, they own it, they ship it where they want. I'm missing the question.

How it would make sense to ship logs from here to China.
Between the cost of the land, labor to harvest tge trees, trucking to the port, loading onto boats and shipping several thousand miles it'll make for expensive chopsticks. (Supposedly what they are going to be used for)

Latest posts

Back