four man hrs. per cord.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that's dirt cheap! Propane it around $3.50/gal here.
Its always interesting to hear of regional energy costs.

I commented on the price as while reading this thread it made me wonder what my cost was to produce my firewood.

My conclusion was 2 weeks a year were still worth the effort. But not by as much as I might have originally thought.

My estimate was based on the current l.p. price broke down to cost per btu. Then the hypothetical 24m but per cord of oak firewood.

I tend to ignore seasonal pricing of l.p. since as I mentioned I do prebuy. Usually try for August as prices seem to be at the lowest here at that time of year.

Wood Dr I do recall that and how many coops and private sellers wouldn't honor preseason deals.

My point has been from start to finish it takes longer than 4 hours period.

I agree with you...it takes longer than four hours per cord start to finish.

On the first page, (post no. 1), I spelled out what is included and what isn't, to keep the numbers fair and understandable.
Sorry for the misunderstanding and some harsh words being exchanged.
Just seeking info on what others experiences are.

Sandhill, no need to apologise for people not reading from the start. It's like a gameshow where the 1st one to hit the buzzer makes a wild guess even before the question is asked.
I now cut trees down in the bush, drag and stack at a landing and then later load and haul home, unload and stack again and then someday, put on my loader forks, cut them into rounds and push up into a pile, then awhile later I split the whole batch up the conveyor and into a pile again. Then awhile later I stack them into my firewood crates. Haul them to the barn and stack against the side again. Then as I need them I load them again and stack the crates at the owb. Then when the skid is empty it goes back to the field to fill again. I handle each log or piece a minimum of 8 times either by hand or tractor. It takes me a lot longer than 4 hours per cord for my way. Now I'm starting to think I'm crazy.

One thing I found out is that if I do not pack the pickup truck tight and instead throw it in loose, the customer wants an immediate $30 discount, even if the loose pile mounds above the sideboards. You cannot blame them for that because the packed truckload holds more firewood. When packed tight, I can get four rows of 16" to 18" splits in, and each row is close to 100 splits apiece as shown in my avatar. It takes at least an extra half hour to pack those four rows.

Stacked wood by definition is 128 cubic feet per cord, however when loose tossed the factor grows to 180-190 cubic feet per cord.

Guess I am a piker compared to you guys. My one man band of me, myself, and I take about 9 hours/cord. That is cutting free log cut offs from log landings, loading, hauling home, storing on pallets, then splitting and immediately restacking on the same pallets.

Guess I am a piker compared to you guys. My one man band of me, myself, and I take about 9 hours/cord. That is cutting free log cut offs from log landings, loading, hauling home, storing on pallets, then splitting and immediately restacking on the same pallets.
You are not a piker compared to me. I can split a cord in three hours tossed into a random pile, provided the rounds aren't too far away from the splitter. That's not even one-third of the time it takes to drive to the tree, drop the tree, deal with the branches, cut the rounds, load them onto the truck, carry them to the splitter, split the rounds, pack the truck with the splits, deliver the splits, stack the delivered splits, and then finally drive home. Believe me, this is a labor-intensive business, even for the guys with big equipment. that I don't have. Yep, I think 9 hours per cord might be an underestimate.

You are not a piker compare to me. I can split a cord in three hours tossed into a random pile, provided the rounds aren't too far away from the splitter. That's not even one-third of the time it takes to drive to the tree, drop the tree, deal with the branches, cut the rounds, load them onto the truck, carry them to the splitter, split the rounds, pack the truck with the splits, deliver the splits, stack the delivered splits, and then finally drive home. Believe me, this is a labor-intensive business, even for the guys with big equipment. that I don't have. Yep, I think 9 hours per cord might be an underestimate.

One thing I do that eliminates quite a bit of time is dealing with very large wood. Seldom is anything under 12" and I can drive up to within a few feet of it, buck and chuck in the truck/trailer. I cut a lot of dirt being cable skidded logs, but that is just part of the price of admission.

I cleaned every stick of hardwood out of these piles. (But my logger buddies logged again and there is more now, it just never ends.)

Only screwed up a few times hauling a chunk of softwood home. :innocent: I just cringe when I split that and wonder what fool cut that.:dumb2:

123pi5l.jpg

10dtg5k.jpg

Latest posts

Back