Free Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This offer for free trees has been opened and looked at over 4000 times and still no takers. Rekon its time to sweeten the deal and offer gas money and free beer :laugh:

I think I would have told him more than that....like where he could put his 'free trees'.

Anyways, why do I get the nagging feeling that Trish's trees are a mirror image of the above version of 'free'?

The rule of thumb is....if you see the words 'free trees', it's generally a hazardous or useless proposition (or both) because if it wasn't, then the homeowner would have dropped the trees himself or had a friend of a friend or relative do it for them. By the time it gets to being 'free trees' the only ones left willing to do it are the high priced professionals or the unlucky dupes. Trish knew what the professionals wanted for the job, so she was trolling for dupes.

I love these long threads. Let me tell you about the time I worked for the CIA. No, I didn't but any good agent will tell you the key to success is to follow mainly one rule: 'There can be no doubt, even a little is some and there can't be any.'
I guess that is why I go around asking " are you sure" all the time. I guess that is why I never became a CIA agent, I had to much doubt.

This offer for free trees has been opened and looked at over 4000 times and still no takers. Rekon its time to sweeten the deal and offer gas money and free beer :laugh:

Are you saying you can look at some counter and tell that? Well, I guess she has a better chance of starting her own tree service with them odds.
No offense, my lady, ( and I mean it), so how are you making out? We were just talking about people who we know got SCREWED from the wrong kind of mojo on craigslist. But I guess in your case no one wants it?

Are you saying you can look at some counter and tell that? ?

when you open forum look on the right side of page. As of right now this thread has been viewed 4307 times and had 172 replies. :popcorn:

#### for brains, treeco told me to do it AFTER I was getting no luck on the site. REALLY mind your own business.

I'm going to try to get pictures up. I don't have neighbors in the back. If you're really interested send me a pm I'll get the pics to you. I've got this a$$hole who likes to chime in all the time.

They're trees, what could I be hiding squirrels. You guys make yourselves look like idiots.

Man what a catch, her hubby must be proud!!! She'll put a truck driver to shame!!

It was obvious from the start when she would not give any info about the job. Olddirty you had it nailed from the start, you seem to always have it figured. Goblin I agree with ya as well. She never stated at the beginning that she would be paying for removal, only after she was seriously questioned.

Conn artist, is what I think.

when you open forum look on the right side of page. As of right now this thread has been viewed 4307 times and had 172 replies. :popcorn:

Yup, and about 168 of those are from paranoid guys that are worried someone would get a free tree (log) that they didn't get paid to cut down.

Rob

Yup, and about 168 of those are from paranoid guys that are worried someone would get a free tree (log) that they didn't get paid to cut down.

Rob

Yes, that'd be the 168 guys that Trish won't be handing a Summons to for putting ruts in her lawn, 'damaging' her house, her shed, her fence, her drive, her power/phone lines, and anything else that she can think of that would make her some $$$.

"Free". What a deal! LOL!

Its a given that you've never been to the 'big apple'.

Yes, that'd be the 168 guys that Trish won't be handing a Summons to for putting ruts in her lawn, 'damaging' her house, her shed, her fence, her drive, her power/phone lines, and anything else that she can think of that would make her some $$$.

"Free". What a deal! LOL!

Its a given that you've never been to the 'big apple'.

Ooooh yawn!

I've taken so darn many tree's down over the years for home owners just like Trish, it isn't even funny... I've yet to have a problem, but it sure got me some nice logs and nice lumber!! Includeing this stack of walnut i milled out of FREE logs!

standard.jpg

Rob

Ooooh yawn!

I've taken so darn many tree's down over the years for home owners just like Trish, it isn't even funny... I've yet to have a problem, but it sure got me some nice logs and nice lumber!! Includeing this stack of walnut i milled out of FREE logs!

standard.jpg

Rob

So when are you going to get this Oak, that is 5' from 3 phase power?? And withing very close striking distance of the house??

The thought that keeps crossing my mind in all this is that this entire conversation would never even EXIST where I live, and maybe that could be extended largely to Canada as a whole. We are not so paranoid and untrusting, and don't automatically assume that everyone else is out to pull one over on us or hurt us in some way. That seems to be a very American attitude, whether that originates from your gun "rights" and this seemingly inborn compulsion to protect one's own "stuff" by whatever means necessary, I don't know. Or, possibly more likely, it's more related to your insane legal system and mindset which has made it very easy for someone to win a fortune just by being an idiot and blaming it on someone else. If I was at someone's house and slipped on the ice or something and got hurt, it wouldn't even cross my mind to go after them for money, unless they pushed me maybe. I watch shows like Judge Judy and just laugh at the ridiculously minor things that people are willing to completely embarrass themselves or alienate others for.

I still have yet to see any active deception or ill will here. Deception is not the same as ignorance, which is the most I could ascribe to Trish here. To assume that being a lawyer means automatic ill-will is craziness too. Some of you have had some valid concerns and points IMHO, but this immediate hostility is really surprising to me. It's not like anything was worded: "Free trees to be removed at no expense to myself. Trees are in a very confined area, close to buildings and power/utility lines, and all responsibilities for damages lie with the remover(s). Job must be accepted sight unseen and no further information will be given." I understand that many of you may have been screwed over in the past under similar circumstances, but do yourselves a favor and relax a little, talk things out a bit more before getting so aggressive.

The thought that keeps crossing my mind in all this is that this entire conversation would never even EXIST where I live, and maybe that could be extended largely to Canada as a whole. We are not so paranoid and untrusting, and don't automatically assume that everyone else is out to pull one over on us or hurt us in some way. That seems to be a very American attitude, whether that originates from your gun "rights" and this seemingly inborn compulsion to protect one's own "stuff" by whatever means necessary, I don't know. Or, possibly more likely, it's more related to your insane legal system and mindset which has made it very easy for someone to win a fortune just by being an idiot and blaming it on someone else. If I was at someone's house and slipped on the ice or something and got hurt, it wouldn't even cross my mind to go after them for money, unless they pushed me maybe. I watch shows like Judge Judy and just laugh at the ridiculously minor things that people are willing to completely embarrass themselves or alienate others for.

I still have yet to see any active deception or ill will here. Deception is not the same as ignorance, which is the most I could ascribe to Trish here. To assume that being a lawyer means automatic ill-will is craziness too. Some of you have had some valid concerns and points IMHO, but this immediate hostility is really surprising to me. It's not like anything was worded: "Free trees to be removed at no expense to myself. Trees are in a very confined area, close to buildings and power/utility lines, and all responsibilities for damages lie with the remover(s). Job must be accepted sight unseen and no further information will be given." I understand that many of you may have been screwed over in the past under similar circumstances, but do yourselves a favor and relax a little, talk things out a bit more before getting so aggressive.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about this thread. Yes, there is a lot wrong with the value systems in this country.

Oh, and regarding New York City, having lived there for a short while. It is a crazy place and I didn't really like a lot of things about it, but to lump all New Yorkers into one narrow category is, in itself, ignorance.

Can't we let this rest in peace?

Andy

Again… for the record, as hard as it might be for some of you to put the words FREE and TREE in the same sentence, almost every bd ft of the several thousand I mill every year comes from FREE TREES. Most are already on the ground or blowdowns, but some are not and IF IT'S SAFE, I do have the skill and equipment to drop the tree and have dropped many. I used to do it for a living years ago although don't have the necessary insurance for that now, and thus simply don't do anything that even has the possibility of turning into a bad day. I play it pretty safe. That's why tree removal people get the kind of money they do, they are taking the risks and should be paid accordingly. If the homeowner is naïve and doesn’t have a clue that a tree near power lines or buildings is not something I can do… so be it. I tactfully tell them no thanks and why, and tell them to call me when a professional has dropped it. Many do that because the tree service charges them less if they don't have to haul away the tree. So a homeowner like Trish saves a few bucks, and woodworker like me gets some lumber or firewood. Other than my time, transportation and equipment, I'm not paying any money for that tree... thus to the homeowner giving it to me (Trish) and the guy milling it (me) it's a FREE TREE.

Last edited:
WOWThirty seven pages of replies for a couple of trees that are probaly only good for firewood.

We hear from both sides of the woodcutting spectrum and even get a socialilogical analysis thrown in for good measure

Thanks for the Sunday morning entertainment.

Larry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back