Free work , cutting foir wood and more

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtnman4ever

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I got Under bid big time and am at the point of really giving up I ma backing offalot and selling off soem of my used gear . on ebay .
Ihad bid on a job witha tree over hanging and had branches in wires next to the raod .
I bid a about 800 a very reasonbly price for the job Well a guy who hasa MS 460 and abeat up bl;ue Chevy pick up underbid me by get this $450 !

I wascruoic as to how hewas gong ot do theh job as he would need a cop for a few hours to driect raffric as i would have to havea lift o in the raod . most state requirea cop at that point . hewdid not He had the tree roped half way up with rop you can buy art any hard ware store. He was cutting the thing at it's base he had not limbed it or cleared the tree from the power lines .
Icalled the power company andasked if they were aware of any work being doen on that raod No thy qwere not . Well by the time Igot hoime our power was out i too a drivand guesswhere his tree went ? right onto the wires takng them down! .
Cops weraroundand the power comany was . I know hwe was charged with soemthing it was in the paper .

Is it illegal to bid so low no one can compeate he must be takin a lossto use his Pro MS 460 and feel like a tree serive operator .
Now I read craiglsit poole think some one is goingto take the tree thy had fdropped for free! wiaTi am cleaning up thier mess and itr is my timeandequipeknt . . Icannot operate "for the wood" Some how pole think it is payment .
YeahI have droped trees fro freinds and not chrgee kept the wood but they have done mea favor like working on my trucks or he like .
I see alot of trees fell in myyard come get themn all yours . OK I know it cosit to have work doen and some have little money . But Free , That just does not cut it .
One guy said hey I am givng yiu free wood ireplied I No i am cleaning up your yard with wquipment you do not ghave anbd know how to operate that is why I am asking to be paid !

I hae nothingwrong with a new guy bidding a bit lower on soem work but when they cannot do the job please work out something with soem one who can . .

you both might benfit and who knows .
It is howi got sub contracts for large trees . Iam getting out now though Icnnot compeate with some kid and a pick u[p willing ot do what i spent years learningto od and buying lots of expensive equipoment come in with hjis Big bad MS 460 and cut for nothing . Yeah the MS 45 60 uia good saw powerfuul and such . But owning one does not make you a pro
What do you do when ther ar hacks and inexperinced guys willingot work for "the wood" and sell it .
I am losing busisnes I lost a a job to this samw kid clearing soem trees fora hopusingsite . he left all the pne but took any hard wood .It tooo k hima while but he did it .

Now the pole who woan it want the white pine removed For fre :ca,mpfire wood you cut it ?
Am Ialone inb this or is it every where I checkeda few places on Craigslist where isee mostr of theaseadssbut it is a grwoing trend one guy ius whining noe onewill remove his oak yeah it is isa 10,000 job as most of it needa lift or bucket truck and thena small bobvcat to move it all of thetrees can hit a building . so the y need alot of work . but no he thinks that soem one will take his 30 oak ?
What do we do If it is in my area it isn yours . I do not minda new guy learning but this is too much . and hurting us making us look bad abnd eventually putting some out of work .
alongwith inflating insurance rates as they will think that it is even more dangerous a becuaseof thease hacks . When nough trees hithomes cars ect take out power lines
we suffer as out insurance will go up as they base rates on all timber injuriesand accident not jusit the very few done by a pro

WhaT TO DO ? :censored: :givebeer:

people have no idea of what a pro is

Mtnman: The problem as I see it is that most folks have NO IDEA of what a
professional is. They have little to no inkling of all the care and precision and headache that goes into doing a job right. I'm not in the tree business. I own a small painting business and I come across this all the time.
If the price is low enough most people will go for it. It's an uphill battle educating people on why you need to hire a guy with the proper insurance, training, and equipment to handle a job.

mark

We have our share of them here as well....I have learned that if all the customer wants is the cheapest bid,then you're best not to be working for them anyway...Then 99% of those same people will either try to get you to throw in extra work for the same price,or they'll insist that you included something in your price when you actually didn't

We have our share of them here as well....I have learned that if all the customer wants is the cheapest bid,then you're best not to be working for them anyway...Then 99% of those same people will either try to get you to throw in extra work for the same price,or they'll insist that you included something in your price when you actually didn't

same here. i'm a salesman, and after i walk in the front door one of the first questions i ask people is "are you shopping solely on price?".

if they say yes, i educate them as to why that is dangerous. if i can't turn them around to see the advantages of a quality product from a quality company at a fair price, then i leave. i will not waste my time.

if someone wants to buy solely on price, they get what they get...

True you do get what you pay for . I see it alot . I fixed or actaull finshed dropng a tree some guy could not ge my 20 inch bar is not biuig enoungh ? i need bull rope and a lift or bucket ? Wel if you want ot pay soem kid afew hundred expect a mess and crap left every where . But compeatingwith it is tough .
I understand anew guy wats work andshouidl try for jibs theycan do not bid on a 1,000 dollar job they obviolsly cannot do . and then call up a guy like meto finsh it . Yeah not it is much more that your proiceas i am gona chargeeven more for emrgency work and picking up some oneelses mess . i gues it will be my new Niche !
Hacl clean up .
I do get mad at some guy thnking I am gonn drop his treesfro wood ! yeah one guy hasa add for trees and youcan drop them on his drive way
UM No way O\I know damn well that tree is going to put a few dents in your drive way aNDyou will makew me responsible .
Ithink Ill do soem directo ional faling so they do not hit a drive way thats what you pay me for .
Then therare the cleints who isnsit they know better and try to tell you where the treeshould fall ! Iwant ot hand them the grear and say go to it .

I cleand up a mess earlier this week and stil am mad as i saw the guy out cuttinganoither big tree ! with his shiny new Sthil MS 460 ,What is it with that saw anbds hacks ? I know it isa damn goodsaw . but cost less than a MS 660 or Husky 575 3 or 385 . but it does not make you a pro .
I am not fixing his mess his time ill be" busy" .

let him call around and see what happens . . Or he can go out and get a big saw pay forsome instrcutin and insurance anbd help .
The hiome owenrs were reql up set i asked 1 k to fix the mess Isaid hey I had to risk my neck , leas out a small lift . I poay big buck for my ropes and ihad to usea 3120 to cut it . alongwitrh my time and being in a hazerdous situation .
Isaid you can n bill him or if he refuse to pay take him to court . heshould pay really as he messup and put the damn tree in that siituation
I do beloieve he is being sued . Igot paid reluctantly . and i rthink she wil get her money back plus any other fees ect lost time at work
I guess this is our best hope is when a hack mess up and a pro has to fix it charge a mint and let guy who ired the hack and the hack fight it out in court
. But Icannot compeat with em all wanting free wood to sell as fire wood it isa big comdity so every one thinks I settle for it not a chance .

I will write a bid to explain the process, not just "remove ash by road".

I also try to meet with the prospective customer. I can increase my closing rate if I do not just leave a bid in the door.

When people tell me they have a drasticly cheaper bid, I tell them to get a Cert. of Insurance from the broke/agent directly. If it is legit, then go for it. I need to make a living.

If there is an accident and the practitioner is uninsured the damamged party can go after the property owner who hired him, cheaper is not allwasy better.

What it comes down to is selling yourself. Especially with TD's, this is hard.

Myself, I would have called the PWR-Co. or PD and sat there as a witness, maybe even taken some pictures as he "works".

.....Then 99% of those same people will either try to get you to throw in extra work for the same price,or they'll insist that you included something in your price when you actually didn't

Yes my favorite is "hey while you have your saw out can you just ......."

Right now on the RI craigslist if I take my grinder out and remove 13 poplar stumps I will then be afforded the privilege of taking down 3 more poplars and I CAN KEEP THE WOOD!!!!!!! I may call on that one, my time has no value and gas is only three bucks a gallon. Oh, my head........

On a similar thread I mentioned a buddy/client of mine who was asked a price to drop a big sugar maple near a mound system. The homeowner had done a few others, but it was too close to the septic for his comfort.

My buddy looked at it and was pretty sure he could do it, but a little either way would cause damage. He aid he would do it for his deductible+$100 or $600. Drop and buck with his big saw.

"What, don't you mean $60!"

So you see that there is risk involved that you do not want to assume. Now you want me to assume that risk for a pittance? I cannot afford to move the truck for that.

One time we we cut down this big cottonwood for the utility, we were sitting in the boom truck havng lunch, quite an affluent nieghborhood. This woman comes from across the street, hops up on the running boards and starts telling my foreman that seeing as we are here we can cut down this other tree (not even on her property) that is blocking her view. He tells her "look ma'am we are just cutting down this one tree for Hydro and..." She butts in "you listen to me, I'm a taxpayer and you are going to do what I tell you....." My foreman turned away from her as he wound up his window and said to me "how about those Canucks, think they will take the cup this year?" This broad was just furiuos, I was laughing pretty hard, which made her madder. I have seen it all, but the good people outwiegh the mutts, thankfully.

During my little early retirement stint,I've become TH's official call taker.....Now I know why he doesn't like to answer his phone

During my little early retirement stint,I've become TH's official call taker.....Now I know why he doesn't like to answer his phone

i think that is the worst part of any job, answering the phone. you have to deal with all the questions and still be polite.

Latest posts

Back