freelance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higherup

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
thinking about freelance tree work, basically i have my own workers comp and supply my own climbing equipment and saws and charge $27.50 hr for me and $12.50 for helper, the tree companys give me the job and we go do and they cleanup or supply me with chipper and truck and we clean up, which ever they choose, i have 15 years experience and dont have to many mishaps and follow all the isa standards so they will be represented well. does anyone see any problems that im maybe not seeing or thinking about?

Yes I sure do, you are not charging nearly enough, should be more like $50 hr for you and $25 for your helper, at the minimun. I hope your helper has a set of climbing gear so he can rescue you if need be also. It is a tough job, many variables, tards, problems etc. The money you are talking about is just wages.

yeah he has his own gear i wouldnt climb unless someone down below can save me. if i charge that much no one will go for it, and i figure its better than working for a company cuz i can claim all my write offs and and make way better money than if i worked for a company.

For that price, come on down to KC and I'll keep ya busy. You say that includes your own WC and Liability? Does that $12.50 for a GM include his WC as well?

I used to get paid $21-25 an hour (Canadian, so about 20% less), I get $275 for a 61/2 hr day now, as an employee. If you are paying for your own equipment and comp. your rate is just not enough, can't see how, anyways good you have help if you get into trouble.

Hi Higherup,you mentioned workmans comp,what about liability Ins.?It can happen and it only take one instance to ruin someone financially thats not insured.At you rate you cant afford to maintain you equipment.I agree with Clearance.I believe after a short while you will realize that you are working too cheap.Good Luck and be safe!

The companies that your are working for are probably charging 3 times your hourly rate. Raise your prices and go out on your own. But if your happy with what you are doing than go for it.

I understand what you guys are saying about what i decided to charge, i had 9 men and 4 trucks running 6 days a week and each crew had to make $1500 a day to keep up with overhead. i got burned out filed chapter 7 and curently selling my last two trucks and fertilizer rig, and decide to go back to work for a repetible company like bartlett or madison tree service for $21 hr and i thought about how much i would miss my freedom to go golfing or fishing or lunch with my kids and decided what would i need to freelance, my wife works in a hosp so we have killer insurance all the equipment i need is my climbing gear and saws i have no bills other than my mortgage so life is pretty simple i just realized im happiest when im climbing trees and miserable when i do allthe other stuff like sales, employees etc etc etc.so if i make 2-3 hundred a day doing what i love and all i got to do is have my workers comp. which is only base on my payroll $150 a quarter for me and a helper and who ever i freelance for needs to have liability on there business not me, they r taking less risk with me (a seasoned climber whom hasnt had a mishap in yrs) then they r a climber they hire for $18 hr. I think they would be crazy not to entertain this, i know when i was rockin and needed good climbers i would of jump all over something like this, especially if the freelancer got it down quicker than most and made sure there was no problems and i didnt have to babysit them.

Dude-
That is way too cheap.
Double that price.
You may only get half the work that you get now...
But it's the same money for half the work !

Higher,

Ive got a guy here I have 'freelance' some things if you will call it that. I pay him $300/day. We talked about it before and Ive thought about it myself. Thing about charging that little, if you only work 3-4 hrs, is it really enough $? Id also think about a minimum hours worked.

Best of luck to ya.

In agreement with the others. I do freelance only. I charge by the day and make 300 for a full day of tree work(avg 6 hrs). 200 for a couple of hrs. and will not show up for less than 100. I price base on efficiency not hourly. You can go to some jobs and put four pines on the ground in 2 hrs. Is that worth $60? I have license and ins, bring my own gear, tools, ropes, saws, etc. I am able to book work two weeks out. You have to charge like a business because the have expenses like a business. Auto ins, fuel, maintenance, ropes, chain saws, etc. Hope this helps. Climb safe

I appreciate everyones imput, and made some changes to my flyers and im glad i did. Im asking for $35 hr for me and $15 hr for a helper if needed, and also explained when i would expect to be paid for production if the job allows it. well we will see what happens from here, i feel like its a good thing and should get alot of calls from the local companys becuz they know my skill level and so forth and know im not the typical drunken/drug addict climber that we all know is out there(didnt mean to offend anyone) and i have my cdl so i think they would be foolish not to entertain this. and another side of me thinks they will be the typical greedy company and say the hell with him and keep trying to hire a quality climber and realize like i have that they are far and few between, i had 9 guys working for me at one time and probably 25 climbers have come and gone in the last 5 yrs and many of them certified with 15-18 yrs exp and i have yet to take my hat of to any of them, they either do everything old school and slow or dont show up half the time or cant be trusted to be left alone, its rediculous how unacountable most climbers are. i worked for a local company 6 yrs ago who are pretty big have 3 buckets and 2 cranes etc, and i would have to walk thru 15 guys at the end of the day drinking and smoking pot and tell them to come out in the parking lot and back up there mouth becuz of the continue of annamosity cuz i would make 1500-2200 a day with 2 greenhorns and they would be lucky to bring in a 1000. and they all thought they were the ????. thats what we have here in cincinnati to chose from and i know all the companys have the same to chose from.

Back up has to count

I got a new hand saw made by samoride and a weevor sheeth.
Whats your opinion about those product?

Back