French prussic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
Thanks to rbtree my split tail has been laying around so long that I don't remember where I left it. Once I started using it thats allI use. It doesn't get bound up like variations using a split tail and once you get used to it it all becomes second nature.

Personal Preferences......

jsirbasku,

I think what Mike is giggling about is that he has become so accustomed to climbing with the French Prusik that he can't understand why anyone would use anything else!

But what everyone has to keep in mind is that a climber's knot is moreless his lifeline........you know, the difference between hanging and falling! Therefore, climb with what YOU feel comfortable with. If you love the Blake's Hitch, keep using it. No one will ever tell you that your knot of choice is unworthy and therefore should never be used........ however, there will always be someone that will try to tell you that their knot is better!

Climbing safe and loving every second of it......
Shane Freeman

Hehehe...

If all you ever do is go down, then by all means use the Blakes Hitch. If you need to go up, that sucker locks off pretty good, at least compared to a well tied prussic. By well tied I mean one made of the right rope, the right length, and tied properly.

The Blakes is a modest improvement over the tautline hitch, while some variations of the French Prussic are just a whole different ball game, not even close to the lower performance of those single end dinosaurs.

If you want to comare the difference in peformance, tie and set a Blakes, now pull 120' of rope through it.
How did that feel? How long did it take?
Now try a prussic.
See?

Why thank you Terry big *alls!!!!

I occasionally use a Schwabisch/distal. They are certainly a big improvement over a Blake's, but not the Vt.

The Vt/Mt has two disadvantages, besides being finicky (sensitive to length, rope type, and slding possiblility after bunching up)

1: When using lifeline as second lanyard, the lie will slide to its end, so if you want a preset length to toss up, a stooper knot must be tied- a minor inconvenience.

2: You can't body thrust with it. No problem for short pitches, just hand over hand above the knot, then reach down and quickly feed slack out.

BUT Guess what, you can bodythrust with it, and here is how:

Use Mark Adams adjustable self advancing bridge (from recent Arborist News, I think), and use a Petzl Fixe as Vt pulley. get a mini pear snap~ 1 inch long, and a short length of throw line size line to prussic around the rope's bitter end. Clip around bridge of the fixe, set prussic just so, set life support prussic below it near bitter end at harness, adjust it so Vt is just out of reach, and thrust or footlock away.

Back to the so called attention needed to use a Vt, I know of no problems with all the folks I know using it.

Nothing could be finer, than to be in he* ******......

..in the mornin'........
.......uh oh........oops

We sang that when I was in the USMC.

There is this proclivity in the services to corrupt everything on can. I beleive it stems from the log periods of abject bordom and sever lackahnookie.

Guys,

Oh, how we love all the new friction hitches in Cali. I agree everyone should start and at least know how to tie a Tautline and Blakes. The only problem in some of these hitches is it takes time to try the many variations and with different line diameter/length. But once you find out what works for your body weight/ climbing style, your in there and will never go back! I'm working on better pics with all possible variations to be online soon. I even have a NEW variation of the Valdotain Tresse that will even self tail off the 'biner it's attached to, I still prefer the action of the micro pulley though!

Rigging it down,
X-man

Hey Xian, have you tried this?: A variation of mark adams'adjustable self advancing bridge, which he said wont work for the Vt. Tie the small twine prussic around the bitter end,attach it to the bridge of the petzl fixe with a small pear clip. adjust it just so, move the Vt just out of reach, and body thrust or footlock the tail to your heart's content. It has to be as fast as the Lock jack, which I tried,(the sport) and didnt like, too touchy. Dan K had two he is trying out. I only briefly tried it, not a fair test, but still see no reason to use it.

I tried the distal, it slipped, went back to the Schwabisch, which doesnt. Only advantage for those I can see, is that the line doesnt slide through to the end, like the Vt, aggravating when you want a tail to flip up or around. Have to tie a slip knot, a minor pain.

I use what I call a bridge extension! Does the same thing as Marks adjustable one without all the extras. Works best on 2/1 system. Add a Petzl Pantin(Single line footlock) for us lazy DRT footlockers! I used to just add a alpine butterfly knot on the eye spliced end of my climbing line and clip the friction hitch 'biner into the b'fly knot. Works in a pinch! I have to DRT footlock everychance I get to for practice, so I don't bodythrust for entry often. If I did, a False Crotch with pulley and extended bridge with Pantin is what I would use...

X-man

Latest posts

Back