friction savers need input

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero323

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I work for asplundh and in my region false crotches arn't allowed however I don't see why they wouldn,t allow me to use a rope saver one of the leather ones but I wanted to know if the are good do they wear out fast stuff like thant thanks guys/girls any input is good!

They buy your ropes, right? Don't waste your time. I have several friction savers and maybe use them on 10% of my climbs.

Never use friction savers, but the leather rope savers are nice for keeping your rope clean while working those sticky ol' pines.

I worked for big orange for seven yrs three on an off road crew. Never had a propblem getting new ropes. All about production. Spike and shread. Dont get me wrong its a good thing but wont fly most places.

I only use the leather on in pine/ spruce you can't put it around something small or it won't stay. The false crutch I use only really for hooking up to the crane.

If you were to feel more comfortable and safer having a ring and ring friction saver, get the yellow ball retriever for it as well. I would get the longest one they have and use an adjustable eye and eye prusic ring for it so you can adjust the diameter for your liking! This will last a lifetime if you take care of it and use your throw line to retrieve it so not to smash it to the ground during retrieval. If asplundh doesnt buy it for you, I think it's still worth buying yourself and climb safer, easier with more smiles! Once you show them what youve used it for Im sure others will follow and your GF might see the benefits.

If you were to feel more comfortable and safer having a ring and ring friction saver, get the yellow ball retriever for it as well. I would get the longest one they have and use an adjustable eye and eye prusic ring for it so you can adjust the diameter for your liking! This will last a lifetime if you take care of it and use your throw line to retrieve it so not to smash it to the ground during retrieval. If asplundh doesnt buy it for you, I think it's still worth buying yourself and climb safer, easier with more smiles! Once you show them what youve used it for Im sure others will follow and your GF might see the benefits.

And as far as false crotches? are you meaning using the tree itself cut into it to rope the top part down? or using a sling and pulley to false crotch things down. If that is what it takes to do the job, why would it not be allowed. I would use a tenex sling and pulley to false crotch and then theres the port a wrap to make it all go smooth. good luck getting Asplundh to come up with the ching on that. but still, if I was a production climber in your situation and they dont provide it, I would provide it for YOUR WORK benefits everyone! and the equipment as far as Im concerned they need to catch up to the industries advances in tree care! Good luck.

i just got setup with one of them steel corrugated tube ones. they setup just like the leather ones but the rope runs through it a lot easier. easy to setup and will outlast my rope unless i crunch it under a heavy branch haha

I've used all but the leather ones -- the ones that look like conduit are handy but I still think nothing beats the ring savers. I've made my own pulley savers which are nice, but I like being able to install from the ground and go -- plus it only takes about $10 and 20 minutes for me to splice up a new one, and thats if I'm using all new rings and rope.

I use mine in pine trees. I make my own outta 1/2" 3 strand and get the alum rings from sherrill.

I splice mine with velocity, poison ivy, blue moon, rocket, ocean, or whatever we have laying around. I get the same rings for about $3 a ring, just regular rapelling rings is all they are -- as long as they are properly rated.

I've never spliced that kinda rope, but was just actually lookin at mayb trying it. I saw sherrill has that kit to get me started.

You dont need a kit to splice 16 strand. Just a coat hanger.

True statement, but it is easier having the tubular fid and pusher fid. I have the magic wand which is nice as well. I have fid sizes for all the accessory cordage, rigging ropes, friction cord, climb lines etc along with scissors, tape, and other miscellaneous tools in a nice tackle box -- but only because I do enough splicing that buying those tools has saved me money -- if you figure about $25 per splice is what you are saving, minus the time it takes you to do it -- my first one took 3 hours to figure out -- now I can do them in about 10 minutes easily. Dont try to learn on used rope either -- can be frustrating for a beginner.

I love the Caterpillar (the conduit one) Its super easy to install and easy to retrieve. Does not collapse and will not get caught in a tight crotch. I don't like the leather ones, they collapse and can get caught. The rings, I don't like the bend ratio, but they are way better than the leather. I don't use them all the time, but often enough. The Caterpillar is like climbing on a pulley, so on big climbs into space, it is a huge help, way less friction, so u don't get fatigued as fast.

Has anyone tried making one from 1" flexible electrical conduit or the flexible liquid tight conduit so that you can get a spliced eye thru it a little easier, it is very difficult with the 3/4?

Has anyone tried making one from 1" flexible electrical conduit or the flexible liquid tight conduit so that you can get a spliced eye thru it a little easier, it is very difficult with the 3/4?

was posted on a previous thread, although by the time you go to the hardware store, hunt down the parts, build it, and inspect it to make sure that there are no sharp edges that could cut your line -- you may as well but 2 or 3 of them from Tobe Sherill lol.

Back