Fried my saw? But what's this yellow stuff?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on the edge of my seat thinking about this one all night. Excellent work boys! Is this the longest ANY type of chainsaw related problem has taken to be solved? A new AS record perhaps?

You know what I mean. I never did understand why anyone would leave their engine unprotected on any mechanized piece of equipment.

Yep, I didn't notice that the screen had fallen out when the muffler tried to go AWOL.

Guess I'll have to add "check for pollen in exhaust port" to my pre-flight check list before sawing! :cheers:

Yep, I didn't notice that the screen had fallen out when the muffler tried to go AWOL.

Guess I'll have to add "check for pollen in exhaust port" to my pre-flight check list before sawing! :cheers:

That is unusual, but I know I will never forget that picture you posted. You might have posted this but is the piston and cylinder ok? :cheers:

Thats also another reason to hate bugs. I can deal with spiders and snakes, but I HATE insects and bugs of most forms.

That is unusual, but I know I will never forget that picture you posted. You might have posted this but is the piston and cylinder ok? :cheers:

THAT I'm not sure about. Guess I have to pull it apart. It DID fail the drop test for compression, so all is not well. :(

I'm hoping that the pollen just buggered the rings. What someone said looks like rust on them just might be that, since the stuff in the back was a bit dampish.

So, maybe new rings only? Or do the pros recommend more, if the piston & jug are okay?

Where do I go from here?

Yeah, he'd like that, wouldn't he? :clap:

Well, if I have any real damage to my engine, there IS that tax return that's coming.... :D

Yup, I can hear the words flying out after you telling him you had pollen packed in the exhaust port.

Tom: "Well no ####, how did that mo#### ######### #### get in the exhaust?" "Step on over here a check out this new 361, you better like Elvis to ###### ######, he's on the radio."

:greenchainsaw:

THAT I'm not sure about. Guess I have to pull it apart. It DID fail the drop test for compression, so all is not well. :(

I'm hoping that the pollen just buggered the rings. What someone said looks like rust on them just might be that, since the stuff in the back was a bit dampish.

So, maybe new rings only? Or do the pros recommend more, if the piston & jug are okay?

Where do I go from here?

Mark, I would take the cylinder off and have a look at everything. Post some pics on here and let the feedback come. You might be ok and just need rings or a piston. Hard to tell until you get a better look at the piston and cylinder. Just my 2 cents.

hell, i'd scrape off the big chunks, then RUN IT!!!!!

my saw regualrly passes full blown sawdust chunks.

a little pollen ain't gonan hurt nothing.

what is gonna happen?????

Mark,

I'd clean it up good. Check the compression and give her a go. If the compression fails re-ring it and hone your cyl. You'll be as good as new. The saw never ran with the pollen in it, so it never had a chance to score it'self up badly. Just a few yanks trying to start it. I don't think she'll need much too be back to good. :cheers:

Mark,

I'd clean it up good. Check the compression and give her a go. If the compression fails re-ring it and hone your cyl. You'll be as good as new. The saw never ran with the pollen in it, so it never had a chance to score it'self up badly. Just a few yanks trying to start it. I don't think she'll need much too be back to good. :cheers:

That's what I'm thinking. I'll clean it up, see what I can see, and post back.

Howdy Again Mark,

Glad you sorted out what it was. I was thinking that if you put the saw back were it was and watch it a couple of times in the day you can find out what put it in there. Then you could follow it home and.....(if your the vengful type) get some satisfaction.

Hope you get her fixed Mark.

v/r

Mike

Well, I dunno, seems I wasn't the one with the pollen problem, it was my saw. So maybe something like this at, say, 40:1 would be better:

Or should that go in the bar oil? :confused:

:D

The Benadryl/Stihl Ultra wood be a rather potent cocktail for a person to drink.......:D I meant it for the saw.

That is just so strange..... Now I know of a type of bee that bores into wood to make its nest, and I think it is a rather solitary critter... maybe one of those was the culprit. I think they are called "wood bees," and maybe the saw smelled like wood but required no boring..... It wood bee one possible explanation.:)

Latest posts

Back