From Fireplace to Woodstove Insert?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secureland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

2 people that I know have fireplaces that they are considering installing a woodstove in front of (or slightly into).
Could experienced folks please give me some advice for stove types? I'd like to help them to start using firewood.

Thanks for any replys!

Last edited:
Hello,
If your hearth in front of your fireplace opening is deep enough, get yourself a Regency Hearthstove. It will set completely out of the fireplace for better heat distribution. Seal off the fireplace opening with a black metal plate. You could just open your fireplace damper and run a short piece of pipe from the stove through the black metal plate that seals the opening, but you DON"t want to do it that way. The smoke swirls around in the fireplace and it gets coated and makes a smelly mess. You're want to make a metal plate that you can seal off the damper area. Then cut a hole in it and installed a pipe thimble. Run a pipe out the back of your stove, hook on a 90 degree angle pipe and then connect that with another piece of pipe to the pipe thimble on the damper plate. That way the smoke goes right up the chimney and is never in the fireplace opening !!! Do it that way and you will have a first class job !!!!

Basso

Back