From spark plugs to new truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian72

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I recently got 3 Mac 10-10s. Had some free time yesterday so I decided to grab some new plugs and some cleaner. On my way to the hardware store, I seen the local Ford dealer had 2 leftover 2016 F-250s. I decided to snoop and see how much they had them reduced and the rest is history! This is my first 3/4 ton and I really like it so far. Can't wait to put her to work.
6cdf766034d3c5b43d91f2aa1d020f0d.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Sweet ride!

I did basically the same thing couple of months ago. Had been looking at newer used trucks to replace my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4, which was still going strong but starting to cost me considerable money in repairs, and some "Dodge Rot" coming thru.

I absolutely loved the 2004, tons of power, nice looking truck, and did any and everything I ever asked of it. After test driving seven slightly used trucks with relatively low miles I saw an advertisement by a local dealer showing HUGE discounts on a new one. Went and took a look and ended up buying a Ram 2500HD with the 5.7 Hemi. The discounts were significant, but you have to be sitting down when you pay the tax on a new one...yikes!........Cliff

Sweet ride!

I did basically the same thing couple of months ago. Had been looking at newer used trucks to replace my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4, which was still going strong but starting to cost me considerable money in repairs, and some "Dodge Rot" coming thru.

I absolutely loved the 2004, tons of power, nice looking truck, and did any and everything I ever asked of it. After test driving seven slightly used trucks with relatively low miles I saw an advertisement by a local dealer showing HUGE discounts on a new one. Went and took a look and ended up buying a Ram 2500HD with the 5.7 Hemi. The discounts were significant, but you have to be sitting down when you pay the tax on a new one...yikes!........Cliff
They sure don't make them to last. I loved my '05 Sierra but the body was shot. The used truck market is crazy too.

The used truck market did't work for me this time around. Over the summer months I drove 7 trucks at 6 different places, from private party to small car lots to dealerships. Absolutely STUPID money everyone was wanting for them. It used to make a lot of sense to buy 2-3 years old and low miles and very good to excellent condition. However, I quickly found out that folks run the wheels off of these trucks these days, so finding super low miles is difficult. The prices are too close to a new truck when the factory puts heavy discounts on them. Financing is greater for used, and you don't get a full factory warranty. I decided to drop the hammer on a new one, which is very out of character for me, but I am very pleased with the purchase, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with yours as well.........Cliff

The used truck market did't work for me this time around. Over the summer months I drove 7 trucks at 6 different places, from private party to small car lots to dealerships. Absolutely STUPID money everyone was wanting for them. It used to make a lot of sense to buy 2-3 years old and low miles and very good to excellent condition. However, I quickly found out that folks run the wheels off of these trucks these days, so finding super low miles is difficult. The prices are too close to a new truck when the factory puts heavy discounts on them. Financing is greater for used, and you don't get a full factory warranty. I decided to drop the hammer on a new one, which is very out of character for me, but I am very pleased with the purchase, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with yours as well.........Cliff

Unfortunately this is the new truth in truck buying. I keep running into the same issue. My dad is the sales manager at a dodge dealership, and he keeps telling me that with all the incentives the manufacturers are throwing at new trucks, it doesn’t hardly make sense to buy a truck just a few years old. And I just can’t get myself to throw $20,000 at a 10 year old truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree. I've seen used trucks on the lot selling for more than new. I just couldn't pass up the price on this one. I think there's a lot of bargaining room for a savvy buyer.

Unfortunately this is the new truth in truck buying. I keep running into the same issue. My dad is the sales manager at a dodge dealership, and he keeps telling me that with all the incentives the manufacturers are throwing at new trucks, it doesn’t hardly make sense to buy a truck just a few years old. And I just can’t get myself to throw $20,000 at a 10 year old truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The market has been destroyed by the yuppie WiFi buyers and now it's coming back to bite them. Not that I don't like some of the new technology but it's gone way overboard.

The price of trucks is beyond nuts anymore.

60-70k for a 4wd diesel. That works to ~1500/month payment! Heck, that's a house payment!

I'm fine with a plain Jane model for a truck, but good luck finding one.
These days the trucks are more fancy than a Cadillac car.

Crank windows, heater, plastic floor and seats, no air bags, no radio, manual transmision, normal cab. Just needs decent hp and payload.
I have no use for a tiny sheetmetal bed either. A flatbed is much more versatile.

The price of trucks is beyond nuts anymore.

60-70k for a 4wd diesel. That works to ~1500/month payment! Heck, that's a house payment!
Weird thing is they sell them like crazy! I was browsing as paperwork was being done. Some of the 150s were 50k plus. Probably why mine was still there. It's nice but not loaded to the max. They also had a Shelby and a Black Ops truck. Both near $100,000. Constant flow of people calling and looking.

I quit buying diesel trucks when I sold my 24' box trailer and parked the race car in the garage. Owned 4 of them up till that time, two Dodge's, a Duramax, and a Ford F-350 with the intercooled 7.3 diesel. Good and bad with all of them, the bad was the excessive cost of the fuel and ****** manners in really cold weather when you forgot to plug one in. Weak and poor shifting auto tranny's are another negative with the diesel rigs, unless you got the Duramax.

The $10,000 additional cost doesn't work out if you're not towing a LOT with it. My last two trucks have been gas, and they've got them getting fuel economy on par with the diesels at this point, although they don't make the tremendous amounts of torque if you need that for heavy towing long distances.......Cliff

I know up on the slope they have gone to gas vehicles for alot of the light-medium duty stuff.
The diesels have gotten so complicated and expensive. The big issue is that DEF junk. The system fails nearly 100% of the time in the cold.

I have 5 vehicles, only 1 is gas. Newest is my car, a 2005 TDI Jetta.
My newest truck is a 97 F-Super Duty. I brought it to a body shop this summer to get a fender fixed (bought it damaged). The owner talked about the truck like it was 50 years old or something. "Don't think I can get parts for something that old"
Uh.. it's a 97, that's not old!

As for diesel vs gas. Diesel fuel is cheaper, better fuel mileage and the engines last much longer.

I quit buying diesel trucks when I sold my 24' box trailer and parked the race car in the garage. Owned 4 of them up till that time, two Dodge's, a Duramax, and a Ford F-350 with the intercooled 7.3 diesel. Good and bad with all of them, the bad was the excessive cost of the fuel and ****** manners in really cold weather when you forgot to plug one in. Weak and poor shifting auto tranny's are another negative with the diesel rigs, unless you got the Duramax.

The $10,000 additional cost doesn't work out if you're not towing a LOT with it. My last two trucks have been gas, and they've got them getting fuel economy on par with the diesels at this point, although they don't make the tremendous amounts of torque if you need that for heavy towing long distances.......Cliff
I work my trucks hard but certainly no need for diesel. As you said, I don't do enough towing to justify the extra cost.

Thanks Steve. Yes it's a gasser. I'm not much for diesel myself. Just can't justify the extra expense. Don't really need the 250 either but the price was tough to beat.

my wife has an 08 250 diesel that she bought new for her work.(read tax write off). kelly blue book on that truck is on about $6,000 less than what we paid . love the truck though. all i got was an F-150.:( but it's a great wood hauler.
20171212_122946.jpg

Latest posts

Back