Practically brand new CS 2238 no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmith717

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a practically brand new CS-2238 for $50 on marketplace. The guy said that it might’ve had fuel in it for about two years sitting around so when I got home I emptied it put some fresh in there the fuel didn’t even smell that bad, but still. I pulle and pulled and pulled, nothing. Took the spark plug out, held it to the cylinder there’s no spark I mean everything on the inside of the saw looks brand new so unless there’s something I’m missing or something I don’t know about them I’m pretty stumped. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5663.jpeg
    IMG_5663.jpeg
    869.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5664.jpeg
    IMG_5664.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5665.jpeg
    IMG_5665.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5666.jpeg
    IMG_5666.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5667.jpeg
    IMG_5667.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5668.jpeg
    IMG_5668.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5669.jpeg
    IMG_5669.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I would start with making sure the ( off switch/wiring ) , is not grounding out at all times, make sure spark plug is good , test with known good piece, coil gap is good , I use a business card/fridge magnet, if all that checks out you may have a failed coil , an ohm meter will help with that ....

I would start with making sure the ( off switch/wiring ) , is not grounding out at all times, make sure spark plug is good , test with known good piece, coil gap is good , I use a business card/fridge magnet, if all that checks out you may have a failed coil , an ohm meter will help with that ....

Thank you R.

I disconnected the kill switch positive wire and tested again with a known good plug. Also I noticed the flywheel saws Dong Feng and Made in China on it. These are not Husqvarna oe parts. The coil I cannot tell. Everything I see in line that says it’s origins equipment and the eBay stuff they all have similar numbers and no significant identification markings.

Did you check the coil air gap?

I have heard on some newer saws, it is super-hard to see the spark. Would not hurt to pour a 1/2 teaspoon of mix down the plug hole and see if it will pop.

Roy

Did you check the coil air gap?

I have heard on some newer saws, it is super-hard to see the spark. Would not hurt to pour a 1/2 teaspoon of mix down the plug hole and see if it will pop.

Roy
I turned all of the lights off in my work area and am able to turn the flywheel over with my drill and there was for certain no spark at all.

I’m starting to get kind of PO’d here. Got another OEM coil and I can’t get that one to fire on the saw or using my impact ratchet get it to even produce a spark. Readings on the multimeter, resistance, etc. are the same as the one that it came with.

Could this possibly be two bad coils??? This would seems extremely illogical and since there’s not a lot of info on this little saw or users here that seem to have one, but I’m honestly stumped here I don’t know what to do.

I emailed Husqvarna to see if I could somehow get the resistance or can’t factory electrical data.

Maybe I’ll rig another coil on it or who knows.

Attachments

• IMG_7692.jpeg
    IMG_7692.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Gosh. That's no good.

I tell you what I do, when I hit a brick wall...I put the saw on a shelf and forget about it for six months. When I come back to it, I start by starting over and re-doing everything that costs < 5 bucks.

Look at piston, measure compression/vacuum/pressure, check flywheel key, set air gap, new plug (that's the $5), pour mix down the plug hole.

Of course, I do not need any particular saw to work at any particular time. And, I value my saw-repair hours at something less than zero.

Working frustrated, working in a hurry, and buying parts...all things I would rather avoid.

Good luck!

Roy

That is some sound advice for sure. I really don’t get upset about anything but the most pressing issues.

Like yourself, I do not rely on my saws for anything other than my own enjoyment I have about eight or nine chainsaws and I don’t believe I’ve cut down a tree in over 10 years lol. I just like these things I don’t know why, but I like working on them and I like to mess with them. With this one looking like it’s not even broken in yet it’s just that much more aggrevating.

I’m gonna take a video of it. It looks brand new I’ll run the compression today see what happens I’m off and it’s about 0° in St. Louis so I don’t got much to do.

Is there any chance that John Suarez or Husqvarna need more than your typical or less than your typical business card for air gap between the coil and the flywheel??

Put a oem flywheel on it, it should not say dong feng
This was the next thing to get to the bottom of.

I mean I bought the saw off of marketplace for 50 bucks. The bar is brand new and again the plastics are pretty mint. There’s no soot or any discoloration on the muffler. This guy I bought it from was like some kind of seedy metal scraper guy and I don’t know he was just, not my type of dude I’ll put it that way.

After I got home and tried messing with it for a minute I messaged him back on messenger and I said, where’d you get this saw from and he left me on read so who knows what he did or whatever the whole saw maybe garbage, but it sure does look nice! 😂

Also, there’s no Husqvarna H with the dashes around it on the jug so it’s a Dong Feng special I’m sure as well.

Not that I’m that worried about it again I don’t use them very much but I guess I’ll just dig into it and see what I can find.

I’ve actually purchased a couple of carburetors off of eBay for like $12 shipped or whatever with the whole little rebuild kit and I actually don’t have any complaints about them. I don’t use my saws very much and when you compare that $12 carb with adjustment screws on it to the Stihl factory on one that was 120 bucks with NO jet adjustment screws on it. I couldn’t say no.

Also, there’s no Husqvarna H with the dashes around it on the jug so it’s a Dong Feng special I’m sure as well.

Not that I’m that worried about it again I don’t use them very much but I guess I’ll just dig into it and see what I can find.

I’ve actually purchased a couple of carburetors off of eBay for like $12 shipped or whatever with the whole little rebuild kit and I actually don’t have any complaints about them. I don’t use my saws very much and when you compare that $12 carb with adjustment screws on it to the Stihl factory on one that was 120 bucks with NO jet adjustment screws on it. I couldn’t say no.
you might consider the fact it may have more than one issue with the ignition system that someone threw a chinese flywheel at for a failing coil. I know i've seen some dandy repairs where folks got it right but they threw bad cheap parts at it trying to save some money.

you might consider the fact it may have more than one issue with the ignition system that someone threw a chinese flywheel at for a failing coil. I know i've seen some dandy repairs where folks got it right but they threw bad cheap parts at it trying to save some money.
I’m not 100% convinced the coil is bad. The resistance readings and all other metrics my multi meter can provide have the one that was on it when I got it performing the same as the OE coil I just got.

It would really push my wig back if someone would spend the money and time to do what is seeming like has been done with either wrong crap (maybe the flywheel here) or to have had the ability to put an aftermarket jug on it but not the ignition system or perhaps something else.

I think I’m hoping to completely disassemble the saw and catalog what I’ve got and see how that compares with what I should have. At least I’ll have a better grasp on the situation and if things need to be fixed I’ll be able to do them properly

I’m starting to get kind of PO’d here. Got another OEM coil and I can’t get that one to fire on the saw or using my impact ratchet get it to even produce a spark. Readings on the multimeter, resistance, etc. are the same as the one that it came with.

Could this possibly be two bad coils??? This would seems extremely illogical and since there’s not a lot of info on this little saw or users here that seem to have one, but I’m honestly stumped here I don’t know what to do.

I emailed Husqvarna to see if I could somehow get the resistance or can’t factory electrical data.

Maybe I’ll rig another coil on it or who knows.
From the looks of your photos, I can almost guarantee you that the coil gap is too wide. Make sure you place a credit card between the coil and the magnet on the flywheel while holding slight pressure. Tighten the lock screws down fairly snug. Do not over tighten as they may break. See if you then have spark. jmho :cool: OT

From the looks of your photos, I can almost guarantee you that the coil gap is too wide. Make sure you place a credit card between the coil and the magnet on the flywheel while holding slight pressure. Tighten the lock screws down fairly snug. Do not over tighten as they may break. See if you then have spark. jmho :cool:

I used a business card and that has never let me down prior. Plus I’m not sure how I could get much closer. If anything, I’m thinking it could be TOO close. 🤓

Attachments

• IMG_7791.jpeg
    IMG_7791.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7789.jpeg
    IMG_7789.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7790.jpeg
    IMG_7790.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I have contacted Husqvarna and they say they are locating one…

Welp nvm, just got this email.
A business card won't let it get too close. It is important to have it between the coil and the magnet on the flywheel though. If you have done that and still no spark I would suspect the flywheel as you stated earlier it wasn't OEM.
Let everyone know what you find. :cool: OT

I turned all of the lights off in my work area and am able to turn the flywheel over with my drill and there was for certain no spark at all.
A lot of drills won't turn fast enough to produce spark. Electronic coils need more velocity.

The coil with the 545-xxx part number is probably OEM.

Dong Feng is obviously Chinese but might possibly be OEM as well. Go to Ebay and look at used Johnny/Husky flywheels and see if you see any Dong Feng in the mix.

About the only legitimate test of an electronic coils is from the plug wire to ground. Should probably be in the range of 3-10K Ohms. Open circuit is a problem.

Back