Frostbite chain VS farm impliment LOL !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
The bad chain day started off with a rock sticking up into the wood pile covered with dead leaves and and got the first saw..
next load of wood was cutting some big stuff and cutting partner didnt get all the limbs , now a 84cc saw aint a limber but it was in the way so i took a whack at it,just a little one inch limb,looked back and it was still there,whacked at it a couple more times,then i saw the sparks :(
bummer,,thats why i bring multiple saws..finished bucking the log with it but i could tell it had lost a bit..
back in the shop inspecting the chain i was surprised at how little damaged it had..the handle had a piece of pipe over it and i had cut rite thought it three times !
It needed the grinder for sure and i wanted to see just how tough this chain was so i gave it no mercy with the wheel. i could pull down on the handle as fast as i wanted,even stopped the wheel and could not turn the tooth blue !
A couple of weeks ago a cutter told me he didnt like these chains because they were to hard to sharpen with a file,now i know just how hard they are.. I dont have any problem with the diamond bits sharpening these tho.
i took a pic of the worst tooth but it didnt come out..
heres a pic of the implement tho :)

attachment.php

Last edited:
That's pretty cool how it grew around it.

Very Un-cool that you tested a chain this way by accident.

I don't have a grinder so I might just stay away fom the frostbite.

Good to know it's that hard though.

farmers...

I hit another nail in a tree on the weekend. Trees are not posts.

There is a tree behind work that has grown through a chain link fence like that. Pretty strange

forgive the thread jack but where do you guys find the frost bite bars and chains? there's very little on the bay, and the place that makes them doesn't seem interested in advertising them.

This past Sunday I was cutting vines off of an oak trunk I want to mill, and ran through a 3/8" braided steel cable. Cut clean through that cable with little more than a tug...I didn't even notice the cable until later. I cussed loudly, but the saw was still throwing chips, so I kept cutting.

Sharpened when the tank ran out, and couldn't find any visible damage.

Just a regular old Oregon chain.

This past Sunday I was cutting vines off of an oak trunk I want to mill, and ran through a 3/8" braided steel cable. Cut clean through that cable with little more than a tug...I didn't even notice the cable until later. I cussed loudly, but the saw was still throwing chips, so I kept cutting.

Sharpened when the tank ran out, and couldn't find any visible damage.

Just a regular old Oregon chain.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back