Frozen wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green Vs. Seasoned

Cut some wood Saturday. Had one green log that I cut down and the rest had been down 2+ years. I started on the green log and 5-6 rounds later I was just getting sawdust. I was disgusted because it was a freshly sharpened chain. I then switched to another log and started getting chips again. Went back to the green log because it was in the way of everything else and 2-3 rounds later blued the bottom edge of my bar. The difference in the amount of water in the log when they are frozen sure seems to make a difference. Split like a dream though. The green log was a Maple.

Frozen wood cuts a bit harder imo but mostly its the mud frozen to it if the log is already on the ground

I have some of that too... it was skidded up from the hillside, but tried to minimize mud by lifting one end a foot or two with the 3 point boom.

Ian

My friend had some frozen oak to cut up that was dirty, he took a wire brush to it where he would be cutting. A little extra work but saves on some sharpening, that frozen on dirt plus the frozen wood is like cutting in to wood with steel nails in it.

Was cutting some frozen, ice laden, snow covered, barkless red oak today, and the semi chisel was the only way to go, plenty of steam coming off the bar tip at the end of it all. The chain made it pretty well through 75 cuts of 16"dia wood before it was time to call it quits until sharpening again.

my experience this weekend was the opposite of what most of you had.. i was cutting a standing but pretty well decayed ancient hardwood for an old man,, im guessing maple but wont claim to be a pro in terms of identification. i had my 18" jonsered with a semi chisel (wanna say windsor) and the 385xp with a 28" full chisel skip chain. both saws were fully cleaned out, bars cleaned up, oilers full and set to their max, both with winter grade stihl oil, oil passages clear, both chains freshly sharpened on a square cut, 30 degree, blah blah.

cutting in the air on clean but icy wood, the jonsered burned up almost instantly and was cutting like poo. i was getting a lot more sparks than i wanted to see and put it down disgusted. the husky with full chisel ran like a top and still has an edge even after doing atleast a half cord sitting on the ground. i was in the snow, and probably into the dirt more than once. i was told its the full chisels that dull right off but like i said, it doesnt even need a touchup IMO.

?

Yesterday, of all things, while cutting up a bull pine...the RSC chain on the 036 crapped out quick. Tree for the most part was laying above ground, been dead 3 yrs. Whipped out the 290 with RM chain..cut like a dream...so the RSC chain is not the total solution I was looking for? My woodcutting is all over...green, standing dead, hard-as-nails quasi-petrified pine, etc.

RS= Rapid Super...less vibes, fast cut, bites hard
RM= Rapid Micro, more forgiving of dirt, etc.

Of course, nothing's good 'cept carbide if you wanna rock out!

:popcorn:

I was out yesterday in windy 10ºF weather cutting some firewood. "Brisk" it was on that hilltop. I've never cut in weather that cold before and my round chisel chain proceeded to last about 10 minutes in that frozen oak. I changed out to a loop of Semi- and it lasted a lot longer.

Is frozen wood that bad or did I get into a rock or something and not realize it?

Ian
Last year in January I cut up a healthy red oak tree that was threatening a power line, a lamp post, and a bulding. The trunk was 30" dia. I collected about three cords of wood, but it cost me four chain sharpenings. The wood at the stump actually had ice embedded within. Conclusion: frozen wood is tough as nails on chains. :chainsaw:

I found that adding a tablespoon of mixed gas to the chain oil each time I filled it really helped keep the bar lubed. Then I learned something else: Collect enough firewood in warmer months so that you don't have to cut any in the dead of winter.

Pssttt... The groundhog saw his shadow today, just about everywhere.

Back