FS 130 info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Any FS 130 owners with any new updates or cautionary tales?

That is the dealer's recommendation for my new blade spinning hill mower.

Have not made up my mind between bike or loop yet nor the split shaft versus gear head accessories.

Anyone using the pruning saw attachment? How do you like it?

i have the fs 85 and i love the bicycle handlebars it just feels right. i need to get a shoulder strap. if your not doing a lot of edgeing get the wide splatter gard

Hi Just saws, I have an FS 130 that I use with the tri-blade/brush knife and standard string trimmer head. It has excellent power with the brush knife and will cut 3/4-1 inch saplings or limbs very well. For me throttle response from idle is sometimes sluggish with the trimmer head or blade and I have tried adjusting the carb with no success. I havent heard many bad opinions of the 4 mix trimmers though, so maybe its just me. It does start on the first pull and has plenty of power, so I am happy for the most part. Hope this helps.

Mark

No edging just tall thick grass, weed, small diameter MFR and black berry clearing. Maintaining paths, hillsides and easements.

Hi Just saws, I have an FS 130 that I use with the tri-blade/brush knife and standard string trimmer head. It has excellent power with the brush knife and will cut 3/4-1 inch saplings or limbs very well. For me throttle response from idle is sometimes sluggish with the trimmer head or blade and I have tried adjusting the carb with no success. I havent heard many bad opinions of the 4 mix trimmers though, so maybe its just me. It does start on the first pull and has plenty of power, so I am happy for the most part. Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks. I have been told by others that the throttle response is part of the package. Seemed a bit odd to me but once it is on it is on WOT for my use.

If you are thinking of getting attachments for the trimmer, I suggest the loop handle with barrier bar (which is standard). It will be hard to handle with the bike type handles running the pole saw or hedgetrimmer. The only down side to the massive power of the 130 series motor is that when running the metal blade, the engine stays in the rev limiter. When running the unit under load, it can do the work.

JustSaws, I have a couple of FS130R trimmers that are monsters. The newer units are responsive through the acceleration, not sluggish. I also have a KM130 which I use with the pole saw attachment and blade attachment. Does the job just fine. I dont like bike handle units personally so I just use a trimmer and put on a blade when I need it.

Thanks for the replies. Heading back out to check on a few more things but the 130 seems to be the choice setup in my $ range.

If you don't do edging or anything that require to frequently turn sideway to trim, get the bike handle. It is so comfortable. Just make sure you don't regret later because it can only do one thing really well........level trimming. You can go for hours until you need to pee!!!

I have the FS90 (bike handle) trimmer and it has plenty of power for cleaning brush, sapplings and thick grass. The 3 prong brush blade is great.

pole pruner saw

The pole saw attachment works great.I got one for my FS 90 and it will also swap to my FC 85 stick edger. It will go thru 2 tanks of bar oil before you have to refuel the machine so just keep an eye on your oil level.

Any of the Kombi attachments will attach to the straight solid shaft trimmers--you just have to take off the stupid half shaft. Only takes a second. It will take you longer to find your torx t handle.

Picked up the FS130 today. Sounds like it is pounding against the rev limiter at full throttle, stumbles, looses power after it warms up.

:bang:

Put it down and will deal with it on Sat.

Picked up the FS130 today. Sounds like it is pounding against the rev limiter at full throttle, stumbles, looses power after it warms up.

Is is new with warranty? My FS90 starts first pull and performs flawlessly. Dealer said to break it in by varying the throttle on first few tanks and not operate at full throttle for long duration.

I bought one a couple years ago for clearing alongside my 1/4 mile driveway. For sure, the acceleration is nothing to cheer about, but the power is very good. After a few tanks, the compression hopped way the hell up and it became a different timmer. Night and day difference.

Chris B.

I have an old 130r. I think it was from the first year they were introduced. Straight shaft. Best starting stihl I have ever owned. Will start first or second pull every time. Mine accelerates very quickly with enough torque to twist in your hands. Its two main faults are its lack of throttle control and its tiny fuel tank. For the throttle, it is either at max or idle. It is very difficult to get it to run anywhere in between. Since I was taught to use a trimmer with just enough spin to cut what I am aiming at, I really dislike the unit for trimming.

As a brush cutter, I have beaten the snot out of it and it has never given me one wiff of trouble. I have the articulating hedge trimmer for it and it has made me a lot of money. I have also heard good things about the scythe attachment. Chainsaw head attachment will not work well on the solid shaft as it would have no reach without the intermediate shaft. I have an ht131 for that type of work but it starts hard. For less money than the chainsaw attachment, you can get a quality pole saw that will have greater reach and versatility.

While a decent unit, the 130 is no match for the fs250. The 250 is a far superior trimmer, dynamite brush cutter and no stupid flippy caps. A true hallmark from the days when stihl made a real tool. Only problem with the 250 is that you cannot use the other attachments. It would probably eat them.

Look at it quickly today, did not want to run it very long in its current condition. Runs very rough, hard to start, vibrates A LOT.
It will be going back to the dealer Monday.
Ryobi trimmers run much much smoother with more power than this thing.
Will have to wait and see what they say, so far I am very disappointed.

Thanks for the replies.

Took it back to the dealer around noon today.

They replaced the coil(under warranty) and I picked it back up this afternoon. Runs much much smoother, power is decent. Will put some time on it Tuesday.

Back