fuel and oil dye chemistry %

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel&coffee

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
ok

1 oz dye 1:20,000 - 1:40,000

How to get it down to where a drop or 2, 3 for every gallon of fuel or bar oil?

If take 1oz dye and put in a quart of say Motul.. then that becomes the dye bottle.. Then take X drops and put in whatever?? :buttkick:

Question is: what does the drops out of the bottle become in %?? You can control the drops if you use a 3 ml/cc syringe.. SO if you take "that" 1 ml or 2 ml drop and put it in a gallon or oil... what is the final ratio??

what is the % of the new dye quart of oil - for the drops! meaning how many mls to get out of the quart to come CLOSE to 1:20,000... BAr oil is no big deal - it's the fuel that needs to be "half way" right!

Need a chemistry person here?? I don't wish to mess up %%.. :popcorn:

Last edited:
1 fl. oz = 29.574 ml

29.574 mL x 20000 = 591.48 L
29.574 mL x 40000 = 1182.96 L

This is the range of volumes of all the fuel that your 1 oz of dye will treat. So if you put that 1 oz into 1 L of motul, you would end up with 1029.574 mL. If you put 1 mL of that into each L of fuel, you could treat 1029 L of fuel and come up just under the 1:40,000 range (actually at about 1:35,000)

If you prefer to use standard measurements, put your 1 oz into 1 qt and you will have 17 oz of dyed motul or 975.93 mL. Now put 4 mL of that into 1 gallon of fuel and it will dye a total of 243.98 gallons at a ratio of 1:31229. I'm talking about US gallons and quarts, not Imperial units.

I don't know if that exactly answered your question, but I hope it helps.

close enough!

Gary I have standup type jet ski and a dirt bike.. I always can't remember 2 or 3 weeks down the line if I mixed the gas setting in "ONE" of "SEVERAL" 5 gal. racing jugs! THe dye is to help me remember.. Trust me - now if someone else picks up one of my gas jugs - I can ask if it's purple, red, blue, yellow or whatever.. I have had NO OIL mix put in my ski before.. Rocks went flying..

This is the good dye stuff used in the petro / oil world.. In Eruope it is LAW to dye say prem. gas and diesel / etc...

Plus - just because. The new color for my gas and BAR oil is BLUE or PURPLE!

JUst picked up my gallon of Stihl bar oil for $9 + tax.. You use red dyed DUREX - why can't I have blue Stihl!

Last edited:
Interesting! :cheers:

I have about a half-gallon of old school Mobil Racing T oil, no dye in it, and I dump a lot of questionable (mix?) in 4-cycle tanks if I can't remember.

Where can you get the dye?

It would also be cool if they could formulate a mix ratio/dye ratio that went from say a blue - a purple - a bright red at say 50:1 - 401 - 32:1 ,We can bet Gary is working on it! :cheers:

based on how "colored" it looks I may go down to 1:20,000 after I talk to the folks at APEX.. As for the bar oil! It will be Blue is I can get it in reason!

???? this is not about diff cans for diff things... 50:1 or 45:1 is what it is.. It's about knowing I mixed for one!!

All things a side - because I want tooo...

???? this is not about diff cans for diff things... 50:1 or 45:1 is what it is.. It's about knowing I mixed for one!!

All things a side - because I want tooo...

I like the idea. Would be nice if it was a bright obnoxious color that you couldn't miss.

If it isn't fire engine red or hunter orange then it is straight gas.

I have a 2.5 gallon jug of herbicide dye I think its called blazon a few drops in a gallon of water and it will stain anything blue

Hmmm? I bet it would work in 2cycle oil:agree2:

It would help in batches of oil like klotz with no dye.

Interesting idear... but I'm just not sure how fuel jugs get "mixed up"...

I can honestly say, I have never poured straight gas into any 2 stoke engines gas tank.

Gary

easy - not having total control over them for one! Also - really if I go out sking I may have 2 or 3 - 5 gal race jugs of gas.. But usually mix one at a time.. but things do happen and sometimes 2 get mixed up - but NOT used... then the other times it did not get mixed and then a few weeks go by now you say :confused: ...

But back to the beginning - I just want to mess around using dye! :buttkick:

Last edited:
Interesting idea. But I'm colorblind. Could not tell the difference between blue and purple tints in the bright sunlight, let alone when it's dark or shady.

I use a durable tag (e.g. yellow Tyvek with wire ties) to mark cans of anything that is not a 'standard' mix. You can switch them between cans if you need to. Also lets you put dates on the tags if you want to remember how old the mix is.

Philbert

If someone wants to get rich....

come up with a dye that will undo the dye they put in off road fuel..So basically invent a bleach to get the red out.

"Bleached" red diesel (Jungle juice!) is very common over here and normally very acidic - manys a diesel pump has fallen prey to it.
And as said, they just put a sniffer to your tailpipe anyway which picks the stuff up!

They put tracers in it for that very reason - for those that try to filter the dye out!

Back