Fuel/Oil mix for larger Huskys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedtree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The Husky manual for the 385 says to use 1:32 fuel/oil for saws over 80cc (1:50 for saws less than 80cc).

Do any of you actually do this? Do you carry two fuel cans for your small and large saws?

I'm going to agree with KF_tree on this one I just can not see the justice in carrying two different fuel brews with you

the worm can has been opened

jp hallman said:
I'd mix exactly what the manual says. They built the saw why second quess em'?

The reason that you would go against the factory recommendations is because that is so the saw will meet EPA regulations not necessarily the best for it.

Justin Garrison said:
The reason that you would go against the factory recommendations is because that is so the saw will meet EPA regulations not necessarily the best for it.

What?...sounds like you're jiving me.
Oil burns hotter than gasoline. Oil is necessary for proper lubrication. Dependant on load and RPM proper mix is critical. Latest saws are engineered to comply with EPA regs. Meaning. Here's the regs now, here's what they will be, design the saw that conforms now and in the future. If you want your investment to last, don't second guess the people that design and build em'.
Is it true you're unemployed or is your profile jive?

jp hallman said:
What?...sounds like you're jiving me.
Oil burns hotter than gasoline. Oil is necessary for proper lubrication. Dependant on load and RPM proper mix is critical. Latest saws are engineered to comply with EPA regs. Meaning. Here's the regs now, here's what they will be, design the saw that conforms now and in the future. If you want your investment to last, don't second guess the people that design and build em'.
Is it true you're unemployed or is your profile jive?

you are right oil is necessary for proper lubrication BUT the higher the ratio number the less oil the mix contains the lower the number the mix contains more oil this is why I prefer to run my stuff at 33:1 instead of 50:1 is because 33:1 has more oil and more protection on my saw screw going by manufacturers guidelines and running 50:1 especially when a decent saw costs over one thousand dollars and the saw you just bought is the saw that will pay your bills and put food on the table for the family I would want the most protection I can get. Infact I bought a brand spankin new dolmar not long ago(and recently resold) and the dealer went through and crossed out use 50:1 fuel mix and wrote in 33:1 this is a dealer doing this so what does that tell you, I understand that some people have no problems running at 50:1 and yet some saws are being damaged when run at the recommended ratio so as far as I am concerned take a match to the manual (minus the warranty card) and use whatever mix you want to use I am sure your saw will love you if you let it have more oil(but not too much that will have it pissing out smoke) in the gogo juice when you are hooking into that big hunk of hardwood

ross_scott said:
you are right oil is necessary for proper lubrication BUT the higher the ratio number the less oil the mix contains the lower the number the mix contains more oil this is why I prefer to run my stuff at 33:1 instead of 50:1 is because 33:1 has more oil and more protection on my saw screw going by manufacturers guidelines and running 50:1 especially when a decent saw costs over one thousand dollars and the saw you just bought is the saw that will pay your bills and put food on the table for the family I would want the most protection I can get. Infact I bought a brand spankin new dolmar not long ago(and recently resold) and the dealer went through and crossed out use 50:1 fuel mix and wrote in 33:1 this is a dealer doing this so what does that tell you, I understand that some people have no problems running at 50:1 and yet some saws are being damaged when run at the recommended ratio so as far as I am concerned take a match to the manual (minus the warranty card) and use whatever mix you want to use I am sure your saw will love you if you let it have more oil(but not too much that will have it pissing out smoke) in the gogo juice when you are hooking into that big hunk of hardwood

Sure, MORE OIL means MORE heat! I know for fact Husky and Sthil both have done extensive research on this. They were telling us to mix 50:1 before the EPA even existed, so it's not just an EPA thing. You mix what you want, I'll use the engineers knowledge. I have thousands of hours in professionally running timber saws and have never burned up a saw due to wrong sawgas mix.

Sure, MORE OIL means MORE heat!
I would challenge you to measure the increase in the from 32:1 to 50:1. The differnace in in oil amount is so low that it really doesnt make a differance.Not to mention the fact that I has never been totaly proven that oil does indeed release more heat when its burnt when compared against the amount of heat it leaches out of the engine when changing from a liquid to a vapor state(essential for combustion).
Are you aware that many kart engines run 16:1 and they do not have any over heating issues. Lean carb settings formt he factory and choked up mufflers cause higher temps, 32:1 oil ratios do not.

jp hallman said:
Sure, MORE OIL means MORE heat! I know for fact Husky and Sthil both have done extensive research on this. They were telling us to mix 50:1 before the EPA even existed, so it's not just an EPA thing. You mix what you want, I'll use the engineers knowledge. I have thousands of hours in professionally running timber saws and have never burned up a saw due to wrong sawgas mix.

yeah well I have alot of hours behind me too when it comes to running saws and I have always ran 33:1 and never had a problem. I run my stihl at 33:1 and that is recommended to run at 50:1 i refuse to run any leaner than what I use also I have seen enough pistons and cylinders that have been scoured due to lean mixes

Ten years ago I ran 115si Dolmars. The dealer said he would double the warranty if I would run 32:1. I did and never had any trouble. I run different brands today but still run 32:1.

twistedtree said:
The Husky manual for the 385 says to use 1:32 fuel/oil for saws over 80cc (1:50 for saws less than 80cc).

Do any of you actually do this? Do you carry two fuel cans for your small and large saws?

What manual are you looking at? I just checked the manual for my 2003 385xp and it clearly states 50:1 (2%) oil. I run all my saws at 43:1 because its easy to measure 3oz per gallon.

bwalker said:
I would challenge you to measure the increase in the from 32:1 to 50:1. The differnace in in oil amount is so low that it really doesnt make a differance.Not to mention the fact that I has never been totaly proven that oil does indeed release more heat when its burnt when compared against the amount of heat it leaches out of the engine when changing from a liquid to a vapor state(essential for combustion).
Are you aware that many kart engines run 16:1 and they do not have any over heating issues. Lean carb settings formt he factory and choked up mufflers cause higher temps, 32:1 oil ratios do not.

Sure it's been proven(oil and heat). And I don't play with karts.

KarlP said:
What manual are you looking at? I just checked the manual for my 2003 385xp and it clearly states 50:1 (2%) oil. I run all my saws at 43:1 because its easy to measure 3oz per gallon.
2004 owner's manual, pg. 26. Here's a link to the manual.

385 manual

Sorry JP if I offended you, I was just stating that If you mix your gas at 50:1 it will meet EPA regulations.If it is mixed at 32:1 it most likely will not. Smoke equals bad emmisions that is a FACT the richer you mix the more it will smoke and the less it will meet requirements. At the time I wrote my profile I was 15. That is not even old enough to legally have a job in my state.

spacemule said:
2004 owner's manual, pg. 26. Here's a link to the manual.

385 manual

Interesting. The cover of my manual says "(EPA)". The one you linked above says "(EPA II)". Does anyone know of any differences between the 2003 and 2004 saws?

Justin Garrison said:
Sorry JP if I offended you, I was just stating that If you mix your gas at 50:1 it will meet EPA regulations.If it is mixed at 32:1 it most likely will not. Smoke equals bad emmisions that is a FACT the richer you mix the more it will smoke and the less it will meet requirements. At the time I wrote my profile I was 15. That is not even old enough to legally have a job in my state.

Son, you didn't offend me, you're just not talking from experience. So you're 16 now? Still not old enough to "legally" keep a job running a chainsaw.
If you mix 50:1 or 32:1 you can still tweek a carb enough to stop smoking. You're just not doing the saw any good. Why argue the point? Why not just trust the folks that make the saw? EPA regs are more than saw mix anymore.

KarlP said:
Interesting. The cover of my manual says "(EPA)". The one you linked above says "(EPA II)". Does anyone know of any differences between the 2003 and 2004 saws?

Sure. In the newer 372's the EPA requires the limiters on the H/L jets. Moot point if you know carbs. Saws made since then all have the limiters on the jets. Then you get into the new breed of engine(575xp for example) that almost completely eliminate "scavenging". Fewer emissions, better gas mileage, and yes, plenty of stump power! I've done plenty of study both book and running the saws. It won't do me any good to make a statement here because I've discovered most folks won't believe a man in here anyway. You must all make your own choice. Saws like we used to run are a thing of the past. Some changes are for the better though.

Back