Fuel/Oil mix for larger Huskys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin Garrison said:
The reason that you would go against the factory recommendations is because that is so the saw will meet EPA regulations not necessarily the best for it.

But in this case, going against the factory recommendation would mix less oil and improve EPA standings.

KarlP said:
What manual are you looking at? I just checked the manual for my 2003 385xp and it clearly states 50:1 (2%) oil. I run all my saws at 43:1 because its easy to measure 3oz per gallon.

I pulled the manual off of the Husqvarna web site.

Guys, I'm no expert here but is anyone makeng the assertion that more oil = more emissions and therefore "NOT EPA" really sure of the facts? The EPA is concerned about a lot more then "visable smoke".

Anyone have any science to throw into the mix (no pun intended, but...)

Anyone have any science to throw into the mix (no pun intended, but...)
More oil in the mix will increase unburnt HC. The saw mfg have evolved toward higher ratio to limit visable smoke and then latter to help them with EPA phase requirments.
Todays oils of newer tech dont smoke any more at 32:1 than 50:1.Most engines that are not regulated by EPA standards still spec 32:1 or even greater ratios.

Sure, MORE OIL means MORE heat! I know for fact Husky and Sthil both have done extensive research on this. They were telling us to mix 50:1 before the EPA even existed,

LOL which one came first the EPA or sthil and husky , All my shop manuals for older saws that were to be older than the EPA stated 32:1 or 16:1 or 10:1.

I run all my saws on 32:1 and i know their going to last this crap of 50:1 and 100:1 stuff is just marketing to buy new saws because the engines blow up. Thats how they make money is selling the product, Years ago they gave tips to keep it for years now they tell ya only a 1/4th of what ya need so next year see ya when ya need a new one .

C&KLawncare said:
I run all my saws on 32:1 and i know their going to last this crap of 50:1 and 100:1 stuff is just marketing to buy new saws because the engines blow up. Thats how they make money is selling the product, Years ago they gave tips to keep it for years now they tell ya only a 1/4th of what ya need so next year see ya when ya need a new one .
I'll try to use small words so you'll understand. The only ones touting 100:1 oil do not manufacture saws. There goes your theory on that.

As far as your old manuals, the oils used then were different. Ever wonder why you don't feed your car oats and use a curry comb on it? :laugh:

To summarize the responses I've heard:

1) Some people do what the manufacturer says, other's make up their own rules

2) I haven't heard ANYONE who carries two jugs of gas, one for the big saws, and one for the small saws.

3) As with lots of other topics in this world, people will argue to the death over points that can't be substantiated.

C&KLawncare said:
LOL which one came first the EPA or sthil and husky , All my shop manuals for older saws that were to be older than the EPA stated 32:1 or 16:1 or 10:1.

Youngster, you were ????in' yella' when the EPA was formed. You had to have been there to know what your talkin' about. I've run thousands of hours on saws. Of course, LISTENING(you have two ears and one mouth) to what the folks that engineered them suggest to keep them running right helps! Why second guess the manufacturer? If you're not understanding this, talk with the people that build them.

C&KLawncare said:

Wowsers... :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Identical to the old 30 wt that was used?

Nope he ment identical to the 2stroke oils that have been around for ages and ages , The old Homelite bottles , McCaullugh bottles, Ect ect .

Oh bit of info about Husky and others calling for 50:1 before the EPA was around The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), formed in 1970 .

Ahh all the saws that was made back then was calling for 32:1 and 16:1 mixes

C&KLawncare said:
Oh bit of info about Husky and others calling for 50:1 before the EPA was around The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), formed in 1970 .

Ahh all the saws that was made back then was calling for 32:1 and 16:1 mixes

Ahh...you're wrong again. I'm looking at an old manual. 50:1. Also. It's a McCulloch. Oil's not the same as it was "back then". Additives are added now that weren't even thought of back then. I'd list the research but you probably wouldn't believe me. Look it up, it's common knowledge for an educated man.

Ahh...you're wrong again. I'm looking at an old manual. 50:1. Also

Ok but is that manual a owners manual or shop manual, You and me would both be out of fingers and toes counting the times a Owners manual and Shop Manual said 2 diffrent things about oil mixes, And if i was a betting man i bet it says 50:1 Oil if McCulloch Oil is used and 32: 1 for all other brands , Id stick with 32:1 myself

In a few localized areas there were alot of big end and crank bearing failures on certain Huskies, namely the 385. From what I have been told by a couple of dealers in those areas, they were advised to have their saw owners start using 32:1 and the problem went away.

JP, what is your interest in what ratio anyone runs, or is it simply the debate that you are enjoying?

I wholeheartedly agree that today`s oils are far superior to oils from as recently as ten years ago. This is the reason that I can run 32:1 with no fouling or coking.

Russ

I wholeheartedly agree that today`s oils are far superior to oils from as recently as ten years ago. This is the reason that I can run 32:1 with no fouling or coking.

Excatly , i know of many many saws that have went a early grave do to 50:1 Mixes , I am sure its almost a combination of carbs that are limted to much and you can only adjust them so far , hmmmmmm clears throat but if the cap falls off wow ya have a good running saw.. I have a 1999 poluan that has cut many many loads of wood , and it has run 32:1 since new . Im sure if i had went with 50:1 it would have been long gone , Still to this day it has great compression and cuts like a mad bandit .

Latest posts

Back