Full Cord on an F-250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry, but I do have to laugh, you ford guys always give me a chuckle. Yes your truck drives like it is not loaded with the plow and some weight in the back, because it is not loaded. Dad's dirtymax is rated for over 7000lbs in just payload! So of course your not loaded at 4K on the whole truck. I am sorry but I do have to smile and chuckle yet again at your over 22k with trailer and dozer combined, like you have just climbed Mt Everest. I personally would not consider that a heavy load, rather the national average. As I stated our trucks don't move unless loaded. Here is my last scale ticket from dad's duramax and tandem axle dually trailer with a load of cement railroad ties. Oh and on mileage loaded like this I get 12-13mpg, unloaded 17-19 depending on wind ect.
attachment.php

So take your 22k add the weight of your truck with the plow and weights in back on that trailer and pull it around. Now you are only up to my load weight so add the 8k trailer to that equation. I had no problem getting to highway speeds as normal and no problem stopping. Actually with the Allison auto tranny I didn't even have to use the brakes on 6% grades. I just let off the pedal and let the engine braking do the work, kept it right at 65. Keep in mind this truck is just getting broke in though, just over 200K miles. Each person has their own idea of what truck is best, however I just use my trucks harder and longer than your average Joe. I am also willing to show why I choose GM over Ford, head to head, and have taken more than one persons lunch money.

Here is a pic of what I routinely haul with my bow-tie half ton's. I see guys on here with one ton Fords hauling less weight and wood and still squating more than I would care for. By the way this is over a full cord of wood just on the trailer, close to a cord and a half. I don't have any pics of just the truck with the stock rack loaded as of yet. I will try to remember to take one next time.
attachment.php

I have been around a while scooter, I have a class A CDL with hazmat,doubles and tanker endorsements. I have built quite a few oilfield trucks so I know a little bit about hauling. You keep bringing up your Dad? Are these his trucks or yours. I just finished up installing a pto and hydraulic system on a 12 D-MAX 1 ton. I see alot of all kinds of trucks and know what works and what does not. My customers rely on me giving the accurate info so they can make money. In the oilfield there is no brand loyalty, if it does not work it goes back to the scrap yard. Fords out number GM 2 to 1 here in Michigan. Heck Dodge is actually making a comeback and I would rather outfit a new Dodge than a GM anyday. CJ

"scooter". Had to laugh at that one, hadn't heard anyone called that in a while. White pickups are pretty common out here, don't show all the dings & scratches as much as the dark colors.

CR and EX, I'm just telling ya what the rules are. If you prefer to work in the gray areas, don't come crying to me when you meet a state trooper in a bad mood.

A full cord of STACKED wood will fit on/in an 8 foot bed. I have delivered a full cord of oak on my 1991 F-250. It was stacked tight and was up to the roof, but the truck didn't care. It has hauled 2 yards of river rock, around 8,000# if I remember right...... and still had another 3-4 inches before touching the bump stops.:hmm3grin2orange:

If he stacks his truck full (up to the roof), then it is a full cord, and the weight should not be a problem on a 250.

CR and EX, I'm just telling ya what the rules are. If you prefer to work in the gray areas, don't come crying to me when you meet a state trooper in a bad mood.

Steve I am in agreement with you on the fact that if you go over 26K you need to have a CDL according to law. However if just having a CDL would turn your personal not for hire pickup to a commercial status you would need more than just a CDL. Commercial you will need a DOT number on the side of your truck along with a company name, you will also have to get commercial insurance. There are many more things you have to do to be commercial these are just some that popped into my head right now. Look at the sides of every semi that passes you and you will see the company name, and DOT number. So over 26k needing CDL, yes. However does not turn it to a commercial status.

CJ1, or should I say gramps? I don't know about where you live but having a CDL is so common-place where I am at that not many people try to use it to say they know what they are doing hauling loads. Every tom, ####, and harry has a CDL around here. Hell any trained monkey can get a cdl in a day or two depending on health. I gave mine up a few years back because they wanted to charge too much for renewal, oh and just for the record it did have more endorsements than yours:biggrin:.I guess I am confused? You are saying scrap yards their sell new trucks, and if you don't like the truck they have a return policy? Interesting lol. Also your idea that just because a truck is more common place means its a better truck is sadly flawed. First off Dodge and Ford neither one produce any vehicles for the military anymore, GM does. Second look at nascar, monster trucks, drag cars, ect and the shear one sided number of GM engines will tell you they are by far the world over the go-to of anyone serious about performance on a professional scale. Heck even big-foot has found out, although it took a while, that GM is the way to go. Sadly I can lead a horse to water but I can't make him drink, or do you say can't teach an old dog new tricks.

P.S. how do you manage to keep your fords from spitting all their spark plugs out all the time?

Sure like everything else things differ from state to state, however I hold a Class E (exempt) Non-commercial veh. over 26,000lb, in New Mexico:D

Roy

Military buys trucks thru govt bids, cheapest bid wins. Guess chev & dodge have to keep sales numbers up somehow.

Really guys, does this need to turn into a Ford vs Chevy thread? Any make, any model will have its strong points and its weak points. Sales #'s don't prove anything other than who sold more trucks that year. Resale value is only who will pay what for something that is old. Even the stats on your door post are only manufactures specs, not what the truck will actually do. As a general rule a 3/4 ton truck rides on a Dana 44 front and a Dana 60 rear. Some difference in frames and springs aside you are still comparing apples to apples. Now if you want to throw an orange in the apple cart with "I added some leafs and upgraded to Rockwells" then you may have an argument. But don't tell me that a Chevy will haul more than a Ford because the Ford fouls the spark plug worse.

Really guys, does this need to turn into a Ford vs Chevy thread? Any make, any model will have its strong points and its weak points. Sales #'s don't prove anything other than who sold more trucks that year. Resale value is only who will pay what for something that is old. Even the stats on your door post are only manufactures specs, not what the truck will actually do. As a general rule a 3/4 ton truck rides on a Dana 44 front and a Dana 60 rear. Some difference in frames and springs aside you are still comparing apples to apples. Now if you want to throw an orange in the apple cart with "I added some leafs and upgraded to Rockwells" then you may have an argument. But don't tell me that a Chevy will haul more than a Ford because the Ford fouls the spark plug worse.

That wasn't my intention...but he has pulled the ford vs chevy gig on the plugs on another thread before. That is the only reason why I tossed that out there...and I'm not saying ford has sold more trucks only this year...they have sold more the last 35 years. When your talking about a stock or fairly stock truck, rockwells don't do anything for a guy. My buddy owns two monster trucks that are from the 80's that both have rockwells and rear wheel steer under them. Are they cool...ya, but they aren't practical for hauling wood or any other everyday work. He is also the guy with two deuce and a halfs....and the practicality of those for hauling wood or everyday work is minimal too imo.

bcorradi, seriously you need to understand what you say, do some research, and then try talking. Not trying to be rude, but do you honestly believe that ford has sold more trucks than GM? Here is the real story. Ford claims they have the best selling trucks for 35 years straight, however this is just a cleaver marketing ploy (also known as a bold faced lie). Sure F-series sells more trucks than ONLY the Silverado. True, however, now add the sierra to the Silverado's sales numbers. Ah, that's right, GM does not brand every truck they sell only Silverado. Now add the rest of the models of trucks that GM sells, say from 1/2 ton on up, as Ford does in its sales numbers. Just for the sake of informing you here are the numbers. Found these numbers from pickuptrucks.com. Now as you will notice when you add the Sierra and the Silverado together you get GM outselling Ford in 2007, 2008, 2009, and Ford outsells in 2010. Now, just to add, this does not include the Avalanche in the sales numbers, which is rated as 1/2 ton truck, or any other of GM's 1/2 ton trucks not listed.

2007 (690589 F-series) (618257 Silverado) (208243 Sierra) (826500 Silverado and Sierra) GM wins

2008 (515513 F-series) (465065 Silverado) (168544 Sierra) (633609 Silverado and Sierra) GM wins

2009 (413625 F-series) (316544 Silverado) (111842 Sierra) (428386 Silverado and Sierra) GM wins

2010 (528349 F-series) (370135 Silverado) (129794 Sierra) (499929 Silverado and Sierra) Ford wins

I don't know about you but I hate getting lied to. This is the real reason I don't like Fords very much. Do you remember the add they had saying how strong their bed mount bolts were? One Bolt Tells a Lot About a Truck - YouTube I personally have never seen a bed mount bolt break from regular usage (other than wrecking the truck), and to further say all the bed mount bolts will break is just plain fantasy. See misleading to people who are misinformed just like the truck sales thing. There are many more examples but I believe you will see what I am talking about, at least I hope so.

4seasons I am not saying a Chevrolet will haul more because its plugs don't foul as much as a Fords do. I am saying Fords spark plugs will literally rip right out of the block on all their gas engines (maybe they fixed this on the new eco-boost engine). Type in ford truck spark plug problem on youtube and enjoy. Either the plugs break off or they rip out, either of which will make it undrivable, and thousands to fix.

Big_Al sure the military does put out bids to build x vehicle, and while cost is part of the deal, it does not mean the cheapest wins. They will have a whole list of needed quality's in said vehicle that must be met. The vehicle that is best suited all around gets chosen. My point was made by you. Just because something sells more or less does not mean it is good or bad just based on sales or lack of sales. Compare things head on

Not trying to do a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge etc. I am just giving reasons why I would not trust 4000 lbs in back of a ford for delivering or hauling wood. Am I wrong about the facts? Do the research and you tell me, please. What I am offering up is proof of what my trucks go though every day, and simply asking for proof of a ford doing the same. So far to my knowledge all I have gotten is, oh yeah my truck will would do that, but no pics. No scale tickets. Why? My guess because it doesn't happen. JMHO Just trying to compare head to head, and explain my side of what I originally wrote, and why I wrote it.

I have owned over the years Fords , Chevys , Dodges , Toyota and Nissan pickups . About the only definitive things I can come up with are that they all had strong points and weak points and that I have the ability to break any of them . The original posters question was whether you can fit a cord of wood on a F-250 . Sure you can . Should you ? Probably not on a regular basis . I regularly heap my 78 F-150 with dry wood and drive by the guys with badges . They don't give me a second look . If I get in a accident doing that you can bet it is going to be a different story then . Myself I am not really that brand loyal it cuts down the amount of toys I can buy . So when the guy with a Toyota pickup asks how much wood he can haul on it, that is his question . So jumping all over him for having a smaller truck and telling him how much your 1 ton can haul doesn't really answer his question . Oh yeah , I have a Kubota tractor and if you drive anything else ,yours is junk . But if you want to give me any free trucks , saws , tractors or guns of any make or model I will happily accept them .

Last edited:
You are saying scrap yards their sell new trucks, and if you don't like the truck they have a return policy? Interesting lol. Also your idea that just because a truck is more common place means its a better truck is sadly flawed. First off Dodge and Ford neither one produce any vehicles for the military anymore, GM does.
P.S. how do you manage to keep your fords from spitting all their spark plugs out all the time?[/QUOTE]

You will have to explain that to me, as far as your scrap yard comment and english??? Around here if the truck won't cut it it gets shipped down the road. So by process of elimination the best one or least amount to operate money wise is the one that stays. All trucks have problems, the plug thing is no different than the injector problems the Dmax have or the transfercase issues the 3/4 and 1 ton GM's have. As you grow older hopefully you will realize that brand loyalty is a foolish thing young grasshopper. Oh and by the way no spark plug issues with my 7.3 but I have lost injectors with my Dmax, does that count. The throttle plates did gum up on my 7.3 once just before the muffler bearing fell out. CJ

Ex - You can twist the numbers all you want to get your desired result.

It appears the Bigfoot and Chevy marriage was short lived.

[video=youtube;NujJrgJD3tI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujJrgJD3tI[/video]

You can come up with a snippet about the plugs, the bed bolts, etc., but It really makes not difference to me and I could do the same for other brands. I truly don't think you were actually considering a ford until you seen the bed bolt issues. In the end you would never consider a ford and I would never consider a chevy. I haven't had any major issues with stihl or ford so I continue to stick with them and you can pick whatever works best for you.

Excalibur - I believe we were talking about trucks in this thread...not drag cars, nascar, etc.

Your plug spitting doesn't have seemed to hurt sales...making it 35 years in a row of being the top truck seller.

December 2011 Top 10 Pickup Truck Sales - PickupTrucks.com News

i may be a bit out of my element here but aren't ALL ford trucks f-series? so when comparing to chevy sales please remember that chevy makes (or made) the silverado, custom deluxe, cheyenne, etc. these sales figures i don't believe take this into account. just my opinion and yes i could be wrong...

Last edited:
Ex - You can twist the numbers all you want to get your desired result.

It appears the Bigfoot and Chevy marriage was short lived.

[video=youtube;NujJrgJD3tI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujJrgJD3tI[/video]

You can come up with a snippet about the plugs, the bed bolts, etc., but It really makes not difference to me and I could do the same for other brands. I truly don't think you were actually considering a ford until you seen the bed bolt issues. In the end you would never consider a ford and I would never consider a chevy. I haven't had any major issues with stihl or ford so I continue to stick with them and you can pick whatever works best for you.

i don't know what motor bigfoot is currently using but i didn't see anything in that vid that said it WASN'T a chevy motor.

From wikipedia
Wikipedia said:
In July 2010, it was announced GM would provide sponsorship to Bigfoot and that the vehicle would now be a Chevrolet Silverado. This was only for the MLB All-Star Game as a display vehicle. Bigfoot will continue to wear a Ford body during competition.

Latest posts

Back