Full skip or semi skip?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On bars 24" and up I personally love full skip. Why? Better chip flow, really aggressive when bucking and especially in softwoods. I know some may say more cutters means faster cutting, but it seems to bite really well. One big reason is faster sharpening times. A lot less teeth to hand file . Now on the flipside its not good for small stuff, limbing and bore cuts. It will very easily kick back. Although I do bore cut its a little tricky.That's just me though. I know many guys who like full comp right up to 36". Ive always liked full skip...

I must travel about an hour because the store in Morton closed a few years ago.

the place in longview and sedro woolly deliver up here daily i think ,i see their truck once a week or so when i get my morning coffee ,they deliver your way ?

Longview looks like it conflicts with my tacoma narrows bridge alergy

Then go to Chehalis where there are two great places.:D
There are two places in Longview also, one named after the local river here. They are almost next door to each other, but Chehalis is closer for me.

It's 85 miles but I can back door it. Still have to get on I 5 , Yuck.

some actually have to travel more than 20 min in Washington state to get chain ,say it isn,t so

I didnt say I wouldnt go, but I would rather go to Forks and deal with vampires than cross the bridge and get on I 5.

I must travel about an hour because the store in Morton closed a few years ago.

the place in longview and sedro woolly deliver up here daily i think ,i see their truck once a week or so when i get my morning coffee ,they deliver your way ?

You guys need return to the logging forum, we want to get back to talking about how to best polish our chainsaw plastic!:msp_biggrin:

Saw Chain is a TOOL not a magic wand !!!

Saw chain is very much like a hammer and it amazes me how many people that would not even blink about going to get the proper hammer out of their shop(ball peen,sledge,claw,framing,ect) will argue all day that one chain or the other is the best ! THERE is NO BEST it's the right tool for the job at hand and that can change at any time. Does this mean we need to carry a loop of each, No but just figure what work the best for your type of wood,size of saw,bar length,style of cutting and your convinence and likes. Each difference may or may not make a change or a compromise needed.Saw chain is a TOOL . Keep it sharp, chips not dust. KEN

In softwood, you should be fine with a full comp. But I personally would go no further than semi.

in the softwood fir around here the full comp actually plugs up the chain with chips ,the skip helps eject chips a little better ,i.m referring to 2 foot or bigger logs bucking ,helps chain speed on a smaller cc saw also ,the 044 with a 32 inch bar is common around here with full skip

You guys need return to the logging forum, we want to get back to talking about how to best polish our chainsaw plastic!:msp_biggrin:

Good heavens! Chastising us for a little side chat?

Now, back to chain suppliers, I have not heard of any deliveries. Now, they might run up a spool of line for yarders, but there aren't too many of those working in these parts. I do not hear the one that was behind my house anymore.

OK, I'll talk like we're supposed to. Watch out, them chainsaws can be dangerous when they run with that highly dangerous full skippy type chain!:msp_ohmy:

some actually have to travel more than 20 min in Washington state to get chain ,say it isn,t so

It's about 40 to 45 for me depends on Highway 9 traffic (between the shops in Trafton and Woolley) :jester:

Over 28" I prefer semi skip but I'll use full comp. I have very little full skip and don't really like it when limbing.

Over 28" I prefer semi skip but I'll use full comp. I have very little full skip and don't really like it when limbing.

Me either on limbing

That's were the smaller saws shine (full comp chain); just can't wait to sink this new (to me) saw in the bigger stuff (with full skip chain). I just might get one of those bigger bar you guys talk about all the time

Do I have to do everything for you?
6 Minutes for Safety

Ah....touche'. That's more formal than our approach to safety meetings...everybody just stands around the pickup with their morning coffee and their donettos and chants "Don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up"...finishes their coffee and donettos and goes to work. Takes about thirty seconds. We hate wasting time.

And, to at least try to get this thread back on topic...full skip unless I'm cutting small brushy stuff. Full comp for that.

So, like what if the crew is feeling sullen, and you can only get 5 minutes and 10 seconds worth of safety?

We girls run full skippy chains cuz that's what I got when I went in and said that I wanted what the chasers use. The saw shop guy, who is an hour from here--see the relevency, knew what to give me from that description.

Thread drift? I think not. It all came together.

Skip, skip skip to the loo...

Latest posts

Back