fundamentals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there a correlation between stump shot and eliminating butt log fiber pull? Any other advantages, other than the anti-kickback effect?

As you know stump shot is just one factor in the entire hinge equation. For me it is the least important factor. I think a taller hinge leads to more fiber pull but that is not a well educated opinion.

There's a few ways of eliminating butt log fiber pull, but I've never seen the advantage to that effect via compensating for stump shot. I personally don't worry about stump shot with the Humboldt unless I'm throwing wood straight up a steep slope. You can leave a gap at the back of your face (some guys call this the "Farmer" cut) or you can do block out.

Out here, the one species that's most maddening for fiber pull is Ponderosa. P/Pine grows fast in most areas here because of abundant rainfall and will have wider growth rings than in most other areas. So any P/Pine over 24" I usually throw in some sort of gap or block out thing. In the really big stuff I'll bore the heart out, or snip the ends of the hinge wood off if it's mushy in the middle.

Fiber Pull

I've seen some Amish fallers cut where they have no stump shot whatsoever. They'll make their notch, then bore into the face, severing the heart fibers and leave about 3" of holding wood at each end, then they continue the cut back around to complete the back cut, cutting off the holding wood on one side. Looks dangerous to me because all that is remaining for a hinge is about 3" on the far end of the face. Makes me nervous working in the same woods with them. More than once, I've seen trees fall where they weren't intended to.

I've seen some Amish fallers cut where they have no stump shot whatsoever. They'll make their notch, then bore into the face, severing the heart fibers and leave about 3" of holding wood at each end, then they continue the cut back around to complete the back cut, cutting off the holding wood on one side. Looks dangerous to me because all that is remaining for a hinge is about 3" on the far end of the face. Makes me nervous working in the same woods with them. More than once, I've seen trees fall where they weren't intended to.

There is nothing wrong with cutting compression wood, you just have to make sure that it is actually compression wood. . . .

Back