Tree felling jacks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermio

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Lately I have been seeing ads for these. Supposedly they work better than wedges and may eliminate the need for pulleys or winches to make a tree fall in a direction other thana its natural lean. But some reviews I have seen say the TimberTuff models are built flimsy. Anyone use such jacks by any manufacturer? Do they work? Do they break?

Lately I have been seeing ads for these. Supposedly they work better than wedges and may eliminate the need for pulleys or winches to make a tree fall in a direction other thana its natural lean. But some reviews I have seen say the TimberTuff models are built flimsy. Anyone use such jacks by any manufacturer? Do they work? Do they break?
I've used hardware store jacks, 20ton or better (mine are 25 ton) with an additional plate on the ram end so they don't just sink into the wood.
tough to say they work better then wedges, they are less work overall when you have a massive tree you need to lift, and its easier to pump the handle rather then swing an axe or hammer at wedges, but they ain't miracle machines, you will still need pull ropes for the hard leaners
As for build quality the old Silvey's are probably the best if you can find a good set, Borntraeger being the best for current production, never heard of TimberTuff, but if they have a reputation as being flimsy, avoid them...
Also, always back up a jack with wedges, regardless of quality, its not a matter of if they fail, but when they will fail.

I've used hardware store jacks, 20ton or better (mine are 25 ton) with an additional plate on the ram end so they don't just sink into the wood.
tough to say they work better then wedges, they are less work overall when you have a massive tree you need to lift, and its easier to pump the handle rather then swing an axe or hammer at wedges, but they ain't miracle machines, you will still need pull ropes for the hard leaners
As for build quality the old Silvey's are probably the best if you can find a good set, Borntraeger being the best for current production, never heard of TimberTuff, but if they have a reputation as being flimsy, avoid them...
Also, always back up a jack with wedges, regardless of quality, its not a matter of if they fail, but when they will fail.
I am not talking about that kind of jack. I am talking about one that is about 4-5 feet long and wedges into the tree and ground at a 45 degree angle, then telescopes up by cranking a handle.

I am not talking about that kind of jack. I am talking about one that is about 4-5 feet long and wedges into the tree and ground at a 45 degree angle, then telescopes up by cranking a handle.
Ah, yeah no those are garbage, and to be avoided

Back