Fungus on cherry slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcbw69

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have some slabs of black cherry I milled back in April and recently noticed armillaria (white fungus) on a couple of the slabs. Is there a way to get rid of this stuff or are these slabs just firewood?

How were the slabs dried/stored?
It was from a tree that fell down in a storm and was cut up at some point, I have no idea how long it was sitting there. I sealed the ends with arborseal and milled to 2.5 inches thick. The slabs were stacked on 6x6 pressure treated blocks and stickered using 3/4 pine. They were sitting in direct sun with a tarp on top. The fungus is on 2 middle slabs at the ends.I’ll try and get some pics soon
Pictures?

It was draped right over the top and weighted down with 4x4s
It was all I had available at the time
It’s possible the ends got rained

First off I'd still see how the slabs turn out, I think there is a great chance they will be fine.
I'm sure the tarp prevented air flow. you need air circulation. If the tarp was draped over the stack that caused the problem. If the tarp was supported so it was off the pile (not draped over the pile) and allowed for good air flow than that would have helped. I cover my stacks typically with corrugated roofing material too. But you can do more traditional stacking where the waste slabs can be put on top of the stack with the bark side up, this works just fine also and is better than a tarp draped over the stack. This will mean your lumber will get wet when it rains, but that is not that big of a deal if you have good air circulation.

Here's a pic I found that shows what I'm talking about

1604164439772.png

Latest posts

Back