Funniest thing happened last night...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pawnage or corruption was inferred or implied. 'The Man' means different things to different people. Some think it's anybody they pay on a monthly basis, whether it's a corrupt politician, a cell phone company or an innocent propane salesman.

However, since I failed to put a smiley after my link, I'll take full responsibilty for offending and will give you a full refund. From now on, I promise full disclosure.*

*This post may contain sarcasm and/or humor.

sorry, I just thought you were being another prima-dona customer - harping about 'the man' keeping you down.. my bad*

Last edited:
I have nat. gas at the house. Boiler new 2 years ago 93% efficient with indirect hot water to match. 700 Sq ft house and love having a small house. 2-3 cords of wood a year and my nat gas bill has not passed $ 40 any month i have every owned this house. Just brought a newborn home yesterday house set at 69 and to tired to burn wood right now....lack of sleep... and i get mad each time i hear that boiler kick on....think come the weekend its back to wood and 75* house. KEEP ON CUTTING EVERYONE !

This is my 3rd year heating with wood. I used to call the gas company and have my gas turned off for the summer to avoid the $5/month charge for the privilege of having their gas at my house. I would keep it off for half the year, then call them up and put it back on. A couple years ago, they decided to institute a $30 disconnect, and $30 reconnect fee, so that killed the savings for turning it off for the summer.

Since I installed my stove, the highest gas bill I had was $10 and that was in the coldest month last winter. At least once every year, I get a call and letter from the gas company explaining to me that there is something wrong with my gas meeter and it needs to be replaced. Like a good customer, I let them do it, with all the parts, and man hours invested on their part to get the job done.

I don't find it necessary to let them know that I heat with wood now, I don't think it's really any of their business!

I have a friend that owns a propane company, he says he way down on sales of propane and fuel oil the last couple of years because people are burning wood to heat.
If I had natural gas in my area I'd probably quit using my OWB, propane is way over priced.
When I could buy propane for around a dollar a gallon it wasn't to bad to heat with.
At my house I would use about 1000 gallons per year.
Now with the wood OWB I use about 50 - 75 gallons per year, and most of that is for heating water in the summer.

Yeap I know how yall feel my fiance and i bought a house 4 yrs ago and the previous owners gave us a copy of the bills but just couldn't find the oil bill. We didn't sweat it too much as they were moving out the day of signing and moving to Indiana. Things were going great in our nice stone home built in the 1950's until 3 weeks after moving in. The alarm went off at 5 am as always and i drug my butt to the shower and turned on the hot water. Brushed my teeth and started to jump in the shower and the water is still straight from the well cold. Hmm i stumble outside through 3 inches of snow to check the tank..... Empty!
3 weeks and empty? thermo was set at 67 something must be wrong full tank gone in three weeks. Called oil company and they did an emergency delivery and a furnace check up, everything was fine. They also gave us a copy of the old bills. Guess what 3 weeks was right on our new Money Pit gets 4 fills at 275 gallons every 3 months that's 8 fills from October thru march. That spring we dug an old Fisher wood stove out of Her parents barn, i refinished the beast and it is now in our living room. It was been there 3 years and i wont look back i love it. oh crap rambling sorry to the point last week she is in the house and the dog is freaking out so she looks outside and the oil truck is backing up our driveway she walks out the greet the driver and he tells her he is here for delivery she tells him we don't need one and we don't use his company anymore. He proceeds to tell her we are on auto fill and he is gonna go look. She tells him if he goes any further she will assist him in leaving courtesy of a 12 guage. He insists we need oil and she grabs the phone and calls the company as soon as she does this he hops in the truck and leaves. My fiance talks to the dispatcer and she is told we are not on contract and not on auto-fill so she doesn't know why the driver was there. When asked what would happen if we had not been home and got filled anyway, she was told that they would come pump it out but we would be responsible for delivery, and pump out charges. The driver remembered we used to need alot of oil, i guess he thought he would make some money either way. Freeking crooks! but the dog got herself a nice bone that night when i got home!

Our proPAIN tank is on 50% right now. All we DID use it for was drying clothes. However, we just bought a new front load washer and dryer. Dryer is electric! Now what proPAIN man??????????

I just laugh and wave at him when he drives by.

Yeap I know how yall feel my fiance and i bought a house 4 yrs ago and the previous owners gave us a copy of the bills but just couldn't find the oil bill. We didn't sweat it too much as they were moving out the day of signing and moving to Indiana. Things were going great in our nice stone home built in the 1950's until 3 weeks after moving in. The alarm went off at 5 am as always and i drug my butt to the shower and turned on the hot water. Brushed my teeth and started to jump in the shower and the water is still straight from the well cold. Hmm i stumble outside through 3 inches of snow to check the tank..... Empty!
3 weeks and empty? thermo was set at 67 something must be wrong full tank gone in three weeks. Called oil company and they did an emergency delivery and a furnace check up, everything was fine. They also gave us a copy of the old bills. Guess what 3 weeks was right on our new Money Pit gets 4 fills at 275 gallons every 3 months that's 8 fills from October thru march. That spring we dug an old Fisher wood stove out of Her parents barn, i refinished the beast and it is now in our living room. It was been there 3 years and i wont look back i love it. oh crap rambling sorry to the point last week she is in the house and the dog is freaking out so she looks outside and the oil truck is backing up our driveway she walks out the greet the driver and he tells her he is here for delivery she tells him we don't need one and we don't use his company anymore. He proceeds to tell her we are on auto fill and he is gonna go look. She tells him if he goes any further she will assist him in leaving courtesy of a 12 guage. He insists we need oil and she grabs the phone and calls the company as soon as she does this he hops in the truck and leaves. My fiance talks to the dispatcer and she is told we are not on contract and not on auto-fill so she doesn't know why the driver was there. When asked what would happen if we had not been home and got filled anyway, she was told that they would come pump it out but we would be responsible for delivery, and pump out charges. The driver remembered we used to need alot of oil, i guess he thought he would make some money either way. Freeking crooks! but the dog got herself a nice bone that night when i got home!

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: Good Dog!

Hey, doesn't anybody on your side of the ocean heat their water with solar panels?
I mean water running through the panels getting heated,
not electricity producing PV panels.
Here 95% of homes have it, it makes up for 4% of national energy consumption.
Not really sure about the year-round feasability over there but I guess at least some areas are similar to here.
http://chromagen.com/209247

Just wondering.

SA

Hey, doesn't anybody on your side of the ocean heat their water with solar panels?
Not really sure about the year-round feasability over there but I guess at least some areas are similar to here.

Just wondering.

SA
It does make sense for some depending on one's location. I believe it is most popular in the southwestern US due to the higher percentage of sun.

I barely get any useable sun at all in winter months, so it would be almost useless for me.

However, I'm betting my ~400 gpm stream ( with 40 ft of head in 400ft ) would make me quite popular in the south of Israel though :) maybe a swap can be arranged.... If I used more electric I'd go micro-hydro, but the systems cost too much to be feasible for me.

Just wondering.

SA

My dad made 8 solar panels that are black and water runs down them to get heated. He mounted them on the top of his sun room. The water gets pumped into the sub floor which has several feet of water line through it. He hopes to run waterline through the floor joists in the house and warm the house with it.

Put a lock on your fill spout for your oil or gas If you don't want it filled while you are away, or by accident. A couple bought a house here and took out the oil burner. They still had the fill pipe outside and never thought about it. The oil man came, and pumped 250 gallons of heating oil right into their basement. They got home and the smell was immediately evident. The oil company came and sucked out what they could, then paid to have the FirePro company come and clean. They could not get the smell out of the house or the oil residue out of everything. It was a huge lawsuit that drug on for a couple years. eventually the oil company paid for the purchase price of the house, but the home owners were still out rent for a place to live, everything that was lost in the basement, attorneys fees, etc. The oil company argued it was just their normal delivery, not even checking if the place was owned by the same people or anything. They even tried to charge the home owners for the oil in the lawsuit!

Same thing happened about 20 years ago to friends of mine. Filled half the basement before they clued in and stopped pumping. Service had been cancelled months before but I guess someone lost the paperwork.

In the end, it would probably have been cheaper for the oil company to throw a match into the basement and start over, rather than to have to clean up the mess, compensate my friends for their losses etc.

A lock is definitely the way to go, if not simply remove the filling receptacle.

Latest posts

Back