Funny wood tick story,DONT LAUGH !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, Me too, I never even thought about a hospital. Usually just grab them with the fingernails and pull them off. I've never even put any cream or nothing on the spot. Been lucky i guess. I di know someone who had rocky mountain fever. It was some serious stuff.

If they havent dug "all" the way in they are not to bad to get off but once fully imbeded and got a good grip they can be tough to get out.. also be able to SEE and get at em is another thing..
hey, i got health care,,why not avoid health problems ??

If they havent dug "all" the way in they are not to bad to get off but once fully imbeded and got a good grip they can be tough to get out.. also be able to SEE and get at em is another thing..
Shoot i don't blame ya, You did it the smart way. I probably would have left the head in and take a chance on illness. Hmm, That last sentence didn't sound right.lol Anyway you did the safe thing.

Smart man.

Refer to post #36, dogs and chickens.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Wood ticks, seed ticks deer ticks all of them if unchecked can cause really big health issues. Old time guy used to carry a baby food jar with two stroke mix in it with a plastic eye dropper. If the tick could be seen one drop of mix and seconds later would drop off.

Old time trick for your yard if you have dogs, buy the c

:cheers:

dont ever take a tick off that way or by using Vaseline. when you smother it it will regurgitate the blood it has drawn in and the likelihood of getting any disease is 10 fold. better off using tweezers.

dont ever take a tick off that way or by using Vaseline. when you smother it it will regurgitate the blood it has drawn in and the likelihood of getting any disease is 10 fold. better off using tweezers.

I think thats a good suggestion. Dr. told me 24 before they let you have the fatal squirt of disease,probly when they puke after thier full ??

Any time we go cutting we use Deep Woods off, spray your pants legs, socks, boots you name it. We are hesitant to use it on kids or grandkids due to the Deet concentrations. Old guys didn't have alot of access to stuff like deep woods off, used what they had on hand like old two stroke mix. Not recommending it, but it works.

:cheers:

Good post! Got me thinking though.....won't a tweezers squeeze a tick and cause the same thing?

Dan

PS... :sucks: like tics! LOL

Good post! Got me thinking though.....won't a tweezers squeeze a tick and cause the same thing?

Dan

PS... :sucks: like tics! LOL
C/P
The easiest, and safest, way to remove a tick is to grab it by the mouthparts and pull straight up. Obviously, the difficult part is to securely grab the mouthparts! Here are a few suggestions:

Use one of the the new tick removal tools that slip over the tick and pinch the mouthparts. Or, use a loop of strong sewing thread or fishing line to "lasso" the mouthparts by passing the loop over the back of the tick and pulling on the ends of the line until the tick pops off. A stiff fishing line works better. Or, you can also use tweezers to carefully snag the mouthparts but be careful not to stab your "patient" with the pointed end.

If the tick has embedded itself into soft tissue you may not be able to see the mouthparts. In this case, grab the tick's body as gently as possible and twist it out trying not to squeeze it any harder than necessary. Don't worry if the mouthparts break off in the wound; at worst they will cause a minor secondary infection.

Finally, clean the wound and apply an over-the-counter antibiotic. Keep an eye on the bite for a few days to make sure any infection does not get worse. If the area around the wound looks inflamed or is tender or if a "bulls eye" rash develops and grows seek medical attention.

Yuk yuk yuk. Couple years back two buddies and I were fly fishing for carp on the Snake river. We'd been there for two hours before I found the first tick. So I peeled it off & marched back to the guys to warn them. So there we were standing in a circle, checking ourselves for ticks. We were engrossed in the tick search & at one point were all standing there with our pants around our knees when we remembered - thanks to a honking car - that the highway was only 50 yards away. God only knows what they thought was going on, but I reckon we gave them a show.

Yeah, things can often be taken the wrong way, but it sure is funny as hell when that happens :D

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pz3SBY8zj8w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pz3SBY8zj8w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

You won't hear me laughing about ticks...my father in law nearly died because of lymes...he got it when he was already old and feeble...late 70s lung problems... I do a lot of fence building, here in the great start of Tennessee we only got rattlesnakes, red bugs, and ticks...oh, and moonshine... To get one of the little bastards off hold a lit cigarette real close to it's ass...it with burn you some too but the tick will back out.

Great info yooper. Although, the phrase "lasso the mouthparts" and the mental images I keep having, have got me laughing off/on all morning. Those words just aren't normally used together.

Mushroom hunting in southern Indiana in mid-April. You might as well call it tick hunting because that's what you get most. I've tried OFF and it doesn't cut it. The best way I've found is just undress and start looking as soon as you get home. Whatever that stuff is that was mentioned above, I've never heard of it but will probably look it up.

How about a nice sharp knife? That's what I used on the last imbedded one. Should follow up with a little alcohol though. Not Jack Daniels.

You won't hear me laughing about ticks...my father in law nearly died because of lymes...he got it when he was already old and feeble...late 70s lung problems... I do a lot of fence building, here in the great start of Tennessee we only got rattlesnakes, red bugs, and ticks...oh, and moonshine... To get one of the little bastards off hold a lit cigarette real close to it's ass...it with burn you some too but the tick will back out.

I seen on one of those doctor shows where this is a bad idea...this actually makes the tick regurgitate/puke the disease he might be carrying into you before you get the tick out. The disease they carry are in their bodies/fluids, so pulling the tick and leaving the head is actually not as bad... just grab and pull. Works for me :clap:

I seen on one of those doctor shows where this is a bad idea...this actually makes the tick regurgitate/puke the disease he might be carrying into you before you get the tick out. The disease they carry are in their bodies/fluids, so pulling the tick and leaving the head is actually not as bad... just grab and pull. Works for me :clap:

No kidding, I've learned something else that I needed to know on AS, this site is invaluable...Thanks

Don't use a lit joint though. . . It just makes them want to eat more, and then they fall off to take a nap on your couch! :laugh:

Seriously though, RMSF is bad stuff!! My niece got it last summer, and the doctors didn't diagnose it correctly for a couple weeks. . . She lost a lot of weigh, and was very Ill. I think she missed close to 4 weeks of school because of it.

I hate ticks. :rant:

PERMETHRIN ... thats the stuff,can buy it in a spray can ready to spray on your clothes or at a box store under bug killers..thats what i do,and mix according to directions..
it is what LL Bean uses on thier bug repellant clothing..
just mixed up a batch as i'm going out to split some wood in the field..

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Odorless-Permethrin-Repellent/dp/B0009KMWES

Maybe a sponsor should carry this stuff so a link to an outside source is not needed ?

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever survivor here. Dad had a bout with Lyme Disease a few years ago also. Check your kids real good even if they don't like it.

Brad Paisley would be proud!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8vSNiQKAH0E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8vSNiQKAH0E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You went to the ER for a tick? I thought the ER meant Emergency Room. I worked a 12 hr shift last night, and a sampling in the ER were gunshot wounds to the head and chest, car wrecks with near amputated limbs and drug overdose. Its gettin' warm outside!

You went to the ER for a tick? I thought the ER meant Emergency Room. I worked a 12 hr shift last night, and a sampling in the ER were gunshot wounds to the head and chest, car wrecks with near amputated limbs and drug overdose. Its gettin' warm outside!

call it job security.

Latest posts

Back