FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading all the rave reviews of the Northern grinder, I ordered up one yesterday afternoon! You guys are really costing me a lot of money.

Just in the last two weeks:

MS361, MS250, Chaps, Bar Oil, Chains, Mix, Files, and carrying cases -- $1142
Steel toe leather Carhartt boots -- $79
Northern Tool Grinder -- $116.26
The look on my wife's face when she goes to balance the checkbook -- PRICELESS

Thanks all, you're a great bunch!

God bless,
Chris

Same here, just ordered one you guys sold me, Northern ought to be paying this site royaltys:deadhorse:

I agree. That would (hopefully) compensate for the slightly sloppy fit of the chain stop on it's shaft. I haven't found a suitable spring yet.

I pondered this for a while, adjusted the nut that holds the shaft on the brace (it was loose from the factory).

I dont think this will influence cutter length much as long as you you pull back on the chain to seat it against the stop with relativly the same force for each cutter.

The slop sure isint too sexy, but as long as the cutter winds up in the same place every time it should do.

I think the grinder is great. :clap: Didn't even think the "slop" was a big deal.

I do try to be consistent when I pull the chain back against the stop. (Not a machinist here, just a plumber)

I visually can't tell the teeth length are different when using as rule. A mic (don't have one) would surely show it. :Eye: :Eye:

Try pulling the chain back against the stop and then pushing down on the top of the cutter with your index finger. While holding the cutter down in the groove, tighten the cam.

Also, I took out the factory spacers that separate the bar rails and made up some thinner ones. I think the factory spacers were 0.085" and the thinner ones around 0.060". There's less play all around and less work for the cam to do when tightened.

I know everybody hates stupid questions,
so here goes.
When grinding the depth guages,on the chain,
shouldn't you use a flat grinding wheel ?
I cant download the PDF format,for the instructions. (sucks)
And it probably states that in there.:confused:

There should be an icon for stupid questions.

So, now, to do that,
Is it safe to put the dressing block against the back of the chain clamping unit
at 0 degrees ? And then slowly cut the grinding wheel ?

I Got It ... It Got Mine Today!!!

Now I feel like Ralphie in A Christmas Story when his "Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Pin" shows up in the mail. However, I don't think the wife would appreciate me sharpening chains while sitting on the toilet! :biggrinbounce2:

Gonna try it out on my 3/8 chain that had a nice encounter with a nail in a log last week. Lots to grind on that one to get past the damage and set the length of all the cutters.

God bless,
Chris

N/T Grinder shipped to Canada?

just curious as to the shipping cost of this grinder to Canada with UPS and border brokerage fees etc.? Anyone know if N/T.ca out of Cambridge Ont. carry the same grinder for the Sale price?
Thanks for your patience.

Gonna try it out on my 3/8 chain that had a nice encounter with a nail in a log last week. Lots to grind on that one to get past the damage and set the length of all the cutters.

God bless,
Chris[/QUOTE] ummmm--dont grind the snot out of the chain--just sharpen like regular--take just off what you need on the non-damaged cutters---and touch the bad one the same---ive done this before---it wont cut quite as fast--but--all the cutters will be the same length---youll eventually get the bad spot out---

Olyman,

Thanks for the advice on grinding the chain. I thought I'd have to grind past all the tooth damage and then grind the other cutters the same length.

By the way, where in Iowa do you live? I live just outside of Murray (10 miles west of Osceola).

God bless,
Chris

and heres another question--how many of you that bought these grinders--got the $10 gift money back on them????

Not me.

Wish I would have though. My purchase was only $99.99 before shipping. Maybe that's why. I think the order had to total $100.00before shipping.

and heres another question--how many of you that bought these grinders--got the $10 gift money back on them????

Nope, I knew I wouldn't be using it, so didn't keep track of it and lost it. Then a week later decided to order another grinder. Hey, where'd beating your head against the wall smiley go.

Nope, I knew I wouldn't be using it, so didn't keep track of it and lost it. Then a week later decided to order another grinder. Hey, where'd beating your head against the wall smiley go.

Here ya go.:bang:

If you're letting a gift cert decide whether to buy this thing or not, methinks you're missing the boat. Here's a very real angle:
If you think our trade policies with China are going to remain unchanged and as unbalanced as they currently are (no tarrifs on imports, but tarrifs on our stuff into China), which makes their stuff really cheap here, then you should NOT buy this grinder.
My hunch is, in not too long a time, you'll look back and wish you'd done it. Get 'em while they're still cheap.

Back