FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
precaud--if you ordered them before dec 25--you got a $10 gift card--i ordered another one the day after christmas--said no dice---chumps---oh well---it didnt make my decision-----wonder if a certain store is selling any oregons?????:biggrinbounce2:

You know, I started out cruising Baileys for some new chains and when I started researching their chains, I happened across this thread--so now, you guessed it, I ordered the NT grinder. I've been hand filing for a while and wanted a grinder.....you know the story, didn't want to shell out $300. Thanks to all for the free advice. When it shows up, I'll make the mods and have some fun. If any of the washers/shims are still available, I'd certainly be up for purchasing some.

thanks
bob

You know, I started out cruising Baileys for some new chains and when I started researching their chains, I happened across this thread--so now, you guessed it, I ordered the NT grinder. I've been hand filing for a while and wanted a grinder.....you know the story, didn't want to shell out $300. Thanks to all for the free advice. When it shows up, I'll make the mods and have some fun. If any of the washers/shims are still available, I'd certainly be up for purchasing some.

thanks
bob

Get two, they're small.

attachment.php

Course I'm just being a hog about the whole thing.

so whats the verdict on these

noticed northern has them for 99 dollars. What is the verdict on these? do they work all right? I dont sharpen alot but i hate to pay some one to sharpen them. So do you all reccomend them??

later chris

Stihl 041S, Is the shim/washer set still available? Sent you a couple of PMs. Just wondering if you rec'd them?

Stihl 041S, Is the shim/washer set still available? Sent you a couple of PMs. Just wondering if you rec'd them?

Don't worry sawin, he's a busy guy.

I finally got my grinder delivered today. Everything arrived safe and sound. just have to mod it and put it together, after I finish 3 other projects.:bang: :bang:

I'm sure he is busy, and I don't mind waiting. Just want to make sure I'm on his list is all.

Grinding safety chain on grinder...

I've got a couple loops of safety chain.
What do ya guys think of using the Northern
chain sharpener to grind down the bumpers ?
Good idea or probably not ?
Is it even possible or worthwhile ?

I've got a couple loops of safety chain.
What do ya guys think of using the Northern
chain sharpener to grind down the bumpers ?
Good idea or probably not ?
Is it even possible or worthwhile ?

I adjust the guide rails so they are fairly close together. 90 and 0 degrees, lower my wheel and very slowly pull the chain through to knock down the safety links. Works like a charm. I use the largest of the grinding wheels to do this.

just in.....

Ordered the grinder on Monday, showed up today (Thursday). Apparently many before me were delivered pretty banged up but mine looked like a brand new box-not even a dinged corner. All pieces seemed to be there. I haven't put it together yet, but did spend 10 minutes cleaning up the turntable and it made a huge difference. My guess is that it will work fine w/o the shim/washer kits, but there is a small bit of slop in the tolerance. I would still try the shim set--may look at work tomorrow for some .010 shimstock to run around the outside. Looks to be well made and pretty sturdy. Thanks again to all that reviewed this item-lots of tree work this weekend for sure.

hb1,
The two mods regarding the shim and washer do change the dynamics of the grinder. Those two mods make it sweeeeeet. By installing the shim, I don't have to measure the teeth length anymore when changing sides on the chain. The washer definitely improves rotation friction.

Last night I spent a couple hours with dremel and files grinding down the bumpers on a 16" stihl safety chain. Last time I'll ever do that. Pain in the bu++. I say keep it for a backup and buy a new one.

Thanks PA. I suspected as much. I'm new to grinding but am an engineer by trade. For $100, this seems to be a good deal. Anyone have an idea how long the wheels will last? I should have some shim stock to help w/lateral movement but am not sure I can make the washer.

Latest posts

Back