FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered on Dec 20th and apparently it shipped day before yesterday (Jan 8th). Maybe it's me, but that seems like a LONG time.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting it - and to "fixing" it per this thread :)

Oh - and for the record, they shipped from a CDN warehouse so there were no (extra) brokerage charges.

and I've "ordered" the shim kit :D

Nikko

That is a long time...guess that what happens over the holidays. I ordered two of them and they arrived in no time and at the same time.

I ordered one about the first and got it yesterday. I have a oregon and a tefcom just going to use it to file rakers down. It looks pretty nice.

sharpener

I was reading in the manual and it looked like it should be a 60deg angle to do the rakers is that correct? I thought it would just come straight down. Chub

I got mine on 01/02/07 and I made my washer a day or so later at work, it sure makes the vise rotate much easier. My only complaint so far is the grinding wheels aren't much or at least the 1/8" wheel isn't. It was really out of round which made it vibrate terribly. I dressed it with the supplied dressing stone, but the bond is so hard, it didn't help much. Also the thickness of the wheel varied, which also causes it to vibrate. I guess I will order some good wheels from Bailey's, then it will be a really nice grinder. Now if I can just figure out all of the settings..................

I've been using mine and I'm happy with it. I did mess up one chain so it would cut around in circles in a log big enough. I tired grinding it again and made it worse. So I took that chain down to the saw shop and they straightened it right out. But all the rest of the chain loops I've done have turned out sharp and true. I'm looking forward to the shims and washer. I did the other mods when I set it up. :cheers:

i just found this post and am considering ordering one whats the word is it a good grinder or should i get an oregon. i need something reliable since im sharpening atleast 4-5 chains a day.

Ive seen the video and its pretty basic. It will help to get you going though.

I bought one for the heck of it. I have used my sharpener with little problem. I guess maybe I am looking for some advanced instruction or the "tips and tricks" section on using the grinder. Not sure if there is such a thing. I seem to have more problems when using the 10 degrees tilt angle. I can't seem to get the same grind on my Stihl chains (.325 RS) that the dealer can produce.

I bought one for the heck of it. I have used my sharpener with little problem. I guess maybe I am looking for some advanced instruction or the "tips and tricks" section on using the grinder. Not sure if there is such a thing. I seem to have more problems when using the 10 degrees tilt angle. I can't seem to get the same grind on my Stihl chains (.325 RS) that the dealer can produce.

I asked my dealer about the tilt angle and he claims they don't use that on any chains. I wish he would let me watch him grind a few loops, but it seems to be a big secret with a special handshake or something. I'm still learning. I hope to pick up some tips from the DVD.

Not to sound stupid, but are you tilting it in the correct direction?

No, I have the correct tilt angle. Downloaded the Oregon 511A manual to make sure (much more explanation). It just seems that the dealer's grind is more pronounced than mine (even to say there seems to be more than 10 degrees). Not sure if he uses a different angle than me or what. But there is definitely tilt to his grind and it just seems that he can get more of the tooth than I can. Heck, for all I know, it could be an incorrect radius of my stone vs his CBN or diamond wheel. I am going to purchase a CBN wheel, just can't right now.

I have had very good luck with this grinder, with stock wheel's. I use the 10deg tilt when its called for, are all your other angles correct? Do you have the angle specs for the chain?

I have had very good luck with this grinder, with stock wheel's. I use the 10deg tilt when its called for, are all your other angles correct? Do you have the angle specs for the chain?

Yep. I have all of the specs for the Stihl, Oregon and the Woodsman Pro chains. It's not that I am not getting good results from my NT grinder, I am just saying that the dealer's grind job seems much better. And, I am not sure why or how it is different from mine. Like the secret handshake thing, my dealer won't give up the trade secret. Although, if I woo him with another Norfolk Southern Train Calendar.... I may get somewhere....

I am the opposite, the place I was taking my chains to, wasn't doing very good jobs, they were taking allot of material off the chains, and I think they were just doing it as fast as possible. I can now do a much better job then they did.

Latest posts

Back