FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, where was the post about installing the shims. I got my shim set and cant remember where excatly they go.

And I am very pleased with my grinder, I can do a better job then I used to pay for at the saw shop. I did some friends chains and they were very impressed.

Hey, where was the post about installing the shims. I got my shim set and cant remember where excatly they go.

And I am very pleased with my grinder, I can do a better job then I used to pay for at the saw shop. I did some friends chains and they were very impressed.

There is a some info before this page. Here is the beginning of the "shims" part.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=39995&page=19

Well, I just bought two of these grinders from NT for $85 each. It sounds as though most are generally pleased with them. I hope that I have the same good experience. Just curious, but did any of you guys purchase the extended warranty with this grinder and if so have you had to use it? What was your experience in dealing with NT on warranty issues? If you didn't buy the extended warranty...do you wish you would have? I'm kinda wishing that I did.

Thanks!

I didnt buy the extended warranty but i did send 2 or 3 back till i got one that i'm happy with. Northern didnt ask any questions they just said send the one back and they would send me a new one. Gonna order another one soon so i dont have to change wheels. I also got the cbn wheels for it. Nice.

I couldn't be any happier with mine. After looking at an Oregon 511A and a Tecomec (In person and up close) I couldn't justify paying an additional 200+dollars, when I could have the Northern for $85.00.

It has worked perfect for me and sharpens a chain as good as any grinder out there. Wish I had the money for another one...maybe next year.

:clap:

It's good to hear that you all still seem to be satisfied with your purchase...I did a little searching for an Oregon 511A today; all were priced right around $300 or little less...I wonder if they're worth the extra money? I'll wait and see how these NT grinders look and in what condition they arrive and make a final decision on the Oregon grinder then. Based on this thread, it sounds as though it's hit and miss in regards to how UPS treats your parcel.

Oregon 511a

Well, I'm still waiting on my NT grinders...no surprise at all...because I just ordered them a day or so ago. Except, while waiting in anticipation of their arrival; I got a little impatient and went ahead and bought an Oregon 511A. No big deal...it just means that I'm now going to have to give one of these of NT grinders away as a present...since it's the Holiday Season and all....anyone here interested in a free Christmas present NT grinder?

That's not to say that I'm going to give it to one of you fine chainsaw people...I just want to know if you're interested? :hmm3grin2orange:

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Well, I'm still waiting on my NT grinders...no surprise at all...because I just ordered them a day or so ago. Except, while waiting in anticipation of their arrival; I got a little impatient and went ahead and bought an Oregon 511A. No big deal...it just means that I'm now going to have to give one of these of NT grinders away as a present...since it's the Holiday Season and all....anyone here interested in a free Christmas present NT grinder?

That's not to say that I'm going to give it to one of you fine chainsaw people...I just want to know if you're interested? :hmm3grin2orange:

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Yep, I'm interested. I would be glad to work out a trade for some plumbing parts!:greenchainsaw:

Yep, I'm interested. I would be glad to work out a trade for some plumbing parts!:greenchainsaw:

Plumbing parts, did you say plumbing parts...why didn't you say that earlier! I been dying to get my hands on some nice, pristine plumbing parts! How much HP do they have? :cheers:

Got my grinder(s) yesterday and finished putting it together this morning. I dont have the shim kit yet, but I did touch up all the moving surfaces as suggested.
Tackled my first chain this morning. Looks like it does a great job. Went out to my nearest log and let loose on it. Proceeded to go absolutely no where. Initial thought was boy do I suc at this. Then when the chain stopped, I realized I put the stupid thing on backwards.
Once I turned it around, it cut like the ones Ive been getting done at the shop. Now I just need to permentaly mount it so I can get rid of the C-clamps holding it to my bench.

Plumbing parts, did you say plumbing parts...why didn't you say that earlier! I been dying to get my hands on some nice, pristine plumbing parts! How much HP do they have? :cheers:

:)

Not much, I'm afraid.

Let's see...

I've got part of a couple tub/waste and overflow kits, Two new Delta tub diverter spouts in Antiqe brass, lots of ball valves in 1/2" & 3/4", a couple of pvc dwv fittings and a partially empty mapp gass cylinder from my light service set up.

I guess there are a few other items also, but with what I have already listed, that would make about anyone looking for "plumbing parts" happy!:monkey:

Okay, maybe not!

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

I'd be perfectly willing to trade you for as many cords of firewood as you want... Of course i'd have to ship it to ya from the east coast postage due.:greenchainsaw:

Postage Due....hmmm?

I'd be perfectly willing to trade you for as many cords of firewood as you want... Of course i'd have to ship it to ya from the east coast postage due.:greenchainsaw:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: I'll pass on that one!

Update:

Received my NT Chain Sharpeners a week ago and they arrived in perfect condition, no thanks to UPS, who engaged in their usual rough treatment of boxes...and the boxes showed it. Luckily, the sharpeners were packed well enough that no damage occured to them whatsoever. Big thanks to Northern Tool on this purchase. :clap:

On a another note, I just received my Oregon 511A tonight, box was in pristine condition, UPS appeared to have handled this shipment with kid gloves. I opened the box...motor housing cracked! Evidently, I can't win for losing? I'll be sending it back of course. :bang:

Curious if any Canadians have ordered one and if so, did UPS send the infamous $30 "brokerage fee" (on top of the $34 shipping charge itself) in the mail after you'd signed for the shipping?

Nikko

Ordered mine today, 105.00 delivered.
Should I wait to see if it needs the mods/ washers or just order some?
Are they still available?
Have they all needed this done?

So far this year,
Stihl 048
2 new chains
NT sharpener/grinder
And now Im looking at a Mini mill.

You guys are rubbing off on me I think.

I am Canadian, and got one off ebay, but I had it shipped USPS, so the fees arn't as high. Its still a good deal regardless. And make sure to get the shim kit for it too. See if they will ship USPS for you.

I ordered on Dec 20th and apparently it shipped day before yesterday (Jan 8th). Maybe it's me, but that seems like a LONG time.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting it - and to "fixing" it per this thread :)

Oh - and for the record, they shipped from a CDN warehouse so there were no (extra) brokerage charges.

and I've "ordered" the shim kit :D

Nikko

Back