FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea. I think all the adjustment stop screws are in need of replacement. Mine go from being too tight to too loose on the same thread.

I guess I'm gonna hafta jump on this whole upgrade bandwagon. I forgot, how do I go about ordering some washers, if it isn't too late? I looked around and couldn't remember where the whole thing started.

Shoulder bolt may be a BAD idea!

Uh oh... :(
Hold all thoughts about the shoulder bolt idea. I think I just haven't caught up on sleep over the weekend and the brain is playing tricks or something. Even though the shoulder bolt is a very snug fit inside the bushing, as it turns out the bolt is actually drawing the bushing tight against the casting and rotation is occuring on the outside of the bushing, not on the inside where the new bolt is! I feel like an idiot. To really work properly, the shoulder bolt will need to be the exact length of the bushing (lus a bit for some play) and the casting will need to be threaded so when tightened the bolt won't draw tight against the bushing and the rotation would be on the inside. The thing I haven't quite figured out yet is that it does seem like there's less play now than before with the original bolt. My apologies, but it looks like it'll be a bit more involved to really work as I had envisioned.

Dan

Lesorub...

the pics you posted--are they the Norther Grinder? If so, the adjuster nuts looks different from mine--mine are plastic but yours appear to be knurled metal (I'm looking at the chain stop adjustment screw and the one on the side/side stop). They look nicer than mine.

Stihl--am I on your list--I haven't seen it posted but I thought I was--man, what a task you got yourself into!

you da man!

lesorub....Bolt thru length of tube, filed to length or a spacer on the s-bolt to make it the right length?

Yea, the shoulder bolt will need the shoulder just a fraction longer than the length of the tube or bushing it goes through. Then a washer could be added between the tube and housing that would be flush against the shoulder bolt. That would work I think. The problem I have is the shoulder bolt has a shoulder that's about 10mm too long or so and it will need to be filed down.

As for the adjusting screws, yea I replaced them. I found some on McMaster Carr and decided what the heck. They were a few dollars each, so not too much extra spent.

Dan

People have been great, many sending $5 which means I have to send 2/3 of a shim to each. What a pain!!

The $10, the shot glasses, the$20 I don't even want to think about it!!

Keep Thinking !
EARLY RETIREMENT !

But Most of All,
People should be more thankfull that,
there are more like you around !!
Thanks 041S !!

:clap:

Latest posts

Back