Game of Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats with the axe marks on the stump? Wedges are what you use to tip the tree over by pounding them in. You face the tree where you want it to go. The thing about that style of cutting is you are not reading what the tree is doing. Its a starting point. Kind of a prologue. If you want to learn to manipulate and control your tree thats a bigger part of the story. Gol is kind of like having yer training wheels on.

lol, i herd about that. and yes, it will go wrong only when there is a camera about.
Nate did you fix that saw? 064 weren't it?

It's mostly fixed. Turned out I sheared a woodruff key rather than busting a crank. It slips from time to time but it's a 2 minute fix when it happens. I'll get a new one when it occurs to me.

Good job Chipper. Keep learning and keep refining your technique. Get tunnel vision and focus on where you want to be not where you are or where you've been. Filter out everything else. Prepare to "replan" when necessary. Focus on a goal.

KEEP AN OPENED MIND. Insight can come from the most unlikely sources.

There's a metric shite ton of knowledge on this site. Take advantage whenever you can.

Be relentless and believe in yourself.

Nothing worthwhile is easy and nothing worthwhile is free.

OK. I'm off of my soapbox.

Good job so far.

Get 'er done, son.

Seems like the guys that have been doing the same thing, and I mean the exact same thing for 5 or more years ***** the most and work the least, or is it just me?

No, its not just you.

I hope I never fall into that trap, but I tend to refine may ways in tiny steps so from the outside it may seem that I am stuck in my ways a bit too much.

Whats with the axe marks on the stump? Wedges are what you use to tip the tree over by pounding them in. You face the tree where you want it to go. The thing about that style of cutting is you are not reading what the tree is doing. Its a starting point. Kind of a prologue. If you want to learn to manipulate and control your tree thats a bigger part of the story. Gol is kind of like having yer training wheels on.
My stump was the first so people stuck their axe in it a few times haha. I know how to use wedges..................... none were used on this tree..............

So you missed your chain brake while checking your corner...that sucks..close
Do they make you go around the back ?
The tree is dead, I did it tonight. do you want to suggest how you would have approached it?? Or let these guys comment on it?..its all good either way??????

One more time for the folks in the class not paying attention: GOL training is a very solid basic introduction to how to put a tree down safely. It is neither a production method, nor the only way to cut trees, and should be regarded as only one of the many tools in the box for all of the many kinds of problems and situations that come up while cutting. Woodchipper95: good on you for making a nice stump. Keep doing that. Learn from your mistakes, and also from the rest of our mistakes as we post them here and talk about them. I very seldom screw something up without posting it here for critique and analysis, and I never fail to learn something from the effort. I also pass this learning on to my crews every year in the form of "Well, here's how I screwed this thing up the last time I tried it, don't do what I did".

Hard to tell from the pictures, looks pretty screwy thats for sure... I couldn't even begin to tell you how I would cut it, without being there in person.
So you missed your chain brake while checking your corner...that sucks..close
Do they make you go around the back ?
The tree is dead, I did it tonight. do you want to suggest how you would have approached it?? Or let these guys comment on it?..its all good either way??????

I got an Arbutus I need to remove thats cranked over my budies shead on a hill.I cleaned up around it the other day and its about last to go.
I just arrived and will deal with it.
There is a few ways to handle it that I can be 100% damage free.
It's very heavy wood and grows on angles naturally. They are now just protected on the Island as there is a thin vein of them on east coast of South end of the island.
Just came to mind??

Thinking I'll take a pic for our scentless apprentice and see what he can come up with...without climbing gear its actually an interesting one.
Lots of variables as you will see
If it was about any other species I could be 100% that the top at least would stay sidehill above another tree but they start to fall and gravity sucks them hard. I'm sure with a "Johnny hold me tight" and to place the cut ...You know we're...(not to help the apprentice at this time) but I can't be sure 100%. Dam sure but that's not good enough. I did just finish a month contract Falling for properties in Victoria and it did have this bendy Arbutus all through the fir
and cedar. I tried to keep in lay so I didn't have to go down rocky drops to buck and limb for 20' containers. I didn't waist time walking up and dropping them in 30 sec. (Cuts like butter) Ican always process a few bitcky ones when the hoe puts 'em aside as I have a saw down there to limb out my forth side and such a few times a day. Obviously it isn't a spesies I have tested with anything but three precise cuts. Inexperienced basically with that timber type. Payed enough tention only to not try and do a straight fall.
I will write more on the particulars
with a pic In a bit. I set a ***** springboard in it the other day so I could reach up and get some wait of of it. They fork out and don't get very big. This is probably medium to what I have ever seen here.
180° off the lean is a fence about 30' high side. See what all you guys think when all info is in and after young guns has a shot before we haze him more...lol

Congratulations young guns..looks like you got some skills...now of course is is the painfull part. This is where I crush you like a bug and point grade your work on what you have shared thus far through BC Fallers Training standards.
Do you have a pic of the wedge? did they mesure it? I'll grade your stump to see if it meets standards. I can scale it of the pic
You got skills...great job
..now the 'hard part.
Please help out with the tree problem and I'll post pic in a minute
Yes! Arbutus, a real sexy tree. The natives called it Naked Lady. Arbutus is the only broad leaf evergreen, that not only sheds it's bark, but also flowers in the spring. It is a protected species in some parts and is also known as Texas Madrone.
Like alder, it corkscrews to the sky, and is a thing of beauty when seen in a pure stand.

It's mostly fixed. Turned out I sheared a woodruff key rather than busting a crank. It slips from time to time but it's a 2 minute fix when it happens. I'll get a new one when it occurs to me.
Nate i had one do that. the fix is simple, valve lapping compound. put some in the fly wheel socket and rock it back n forth a bit until it feels smooth, then clean it off with carb cleaner. use a new key and snug it up good.
see the key only indexes the wheel to the shaft, its the friction that locks it there. your wheel wore a little bit when it happened and now don't quite fit exact. the compound fix only takes a few minutes.

Nate i had one do that. the fix is simple, valve lapping compound. put some in the fly wheel socket and rock it back n forth a bit until it feels smooth, then clean it off with carb cleaner. use a new key and snug it up good.
see the key only indexes the wheel to the shaft, its the friction that locks it there. your wheel wore a little bit when it happened and now don't quite fit exact. the compound fix only takes a few minutes.

K...Slayerman

What do you think you might do to get the Arbutus down with out climing gear.With the info I provided in post before and after the pics?
I realize you are not there but plausable possibilitys? It can only land in one direction but its a few feet swing up hill to clear the cedar to lock in the top.The butt can still spring off the bank and destroy the shed. I will say it didn't go to plan last night. and will share more.

so hard to say with out being there......and i don't know that wood. with out knowing, probably would block out the holding side for more flex and snipe the top to hold to the stump longer. looked like alot of lean........
i try like hell to not be foolin around with yard trees. i guess ideally, if i had to.......long 3/4 cable and a skidder, cripple it up and break it off with the skidder :D you did ask how i would bro lol.
my typical falling, if i do mess up and the stick don't follow lay, worst i have to do is clean up sticks from an smz or alter my skid trail.

sure hope you ain't gonna be workin on a shed next week.........

curious, you boys on the other side, how do you deal with splity wood that leans hard? compression wood elimination by gutting or very deep face is normally my way.

Alders is our splitty wood... like beech I guess?

for falling with the lean, make as deep a face as you can, which isn't much, then coos em, would be my preffered

For side lean, I'll face em normal, maybe put in a swiz, depending on how hard of a lean, then usually just pound through the back side, A good sharp chain on a medium alder its almost too easy...

For back leaners, yer pretty much looking at rigging and pulling, alders lean hard regardless of which way, its rare to find one with less then 5 deg of lean, normally you'de be looking at 10-20 deg of lean.

Generally speaking though, a triangle coos gets it done.

Not much splintery here unless its green and really leaning hard. I almost always just gut 'em out. If they are about 8" or smaller I usually put in a normal face and then cut fast from the back.

Back