Garden Tractor to log splitter conversion.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelly

Mouth breather
Reaction score
This may not be the correct forum, but....

Has anyone ever made a log splitter from an old garden tractor? I am not talking about taking it apart & using the engine, frame, wheels etc...or a 3 point hitch style, But actually using the tractor in driving condition, and fabricating a log splitter to it. Making it very mobile.

I have a Craftsman GT1000 Hydrostatic that I got for free. Deck is shot. It has a 16hp Kohler command vert shaft. I rebuilt the carb, changed oil to 20w-50 to free up the sticky lifter, and it runs & drives great. :rock:

Pictures & ideas would be great. If not, I getting rid of it.

Thanks.

I have seen it done, however it was not very good looking but functional. Plan on getting a hydraulic pump and figuring out how to mount it as hydro rear end will not be ably to provide hydraulics to power it. You would most likely have to reinforce the frame as craftsman tractors typically have a weaker stamped frame.

I have seen it done, however it was not very good looking but functional. Plan on getting a hydraulic pump and figuring out how to mount it as hydro rear end will not be ably to provide hydraulics to power it. You would most likely have to reinforce the frame as craftsman tractors typically have a weaker stamped frame.

I've believe I've seen posts on how to do it. Check over at Case Colt Ingersoll Lawn and Garden Tractors Home the case 4XX/4XXX are true hydraulic tractors and some come with hydraulic PTOs that might support what you need.

Thanks for the replies. Not looking to use existing hydraulics, but to mount a pump on the crank. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for moving me Steve.

Yes, the frame is a stamped piece of crap. But it was free. I have an old 1970 JD112 made in (this one is for you, Steve!) Horicon, WI., 1/4" welded steel frame, a real tractor. But I am not hacking that one up. The K241 10hp probably has more power & torque than todays 20 hp engines. Wisconsin...pretty cool in JD history. Tractor made in Horicon, Engine made in Kohler, and the Haban attachments made in Racine. What the heck happened?

Sorry...I digress. Keep 'em coming

Your only limit is your imagination, and your motivation.

For me, it was my motivation.... I have an old 728 Simplicity with a not original 11HP vertical engine. I was thinking of using the whole front of the unit, minus the wheels and rear end for the power and control portion of a splitter rather than the whole tractor. I would just incorporate that part of the tractor into a normal trailer type splitter. It's an engine, with starter, battery, fuel tank, and controls in a rather small pre-manufactured package. And, it was free. I just decided to go with a new vertical/horizontal type splitter. I'm sure it would've been cool, but I didn't feel it would save that much in the long run, when you figure all the parts searching, buying, designing, and labor it would take before I was done. I'm not one of those guys that likes to work all day, then come home and spend all night doing the same schtuff out in my garage. Like I said...motivation.

If you have an idea, and feel like getting it done...Go for it.

Having a log splitter that could move its it self would come in handy.

My Uncle has a log splitter that is mounted on a bobcat excavator. Its very handy, this Friday I will get some pictures of his operation when I work for him. Its pretty awesome considering that he splits 24" and larger rounds, most are 30" to a smaller size so the guy splitting with the timberwolf tw6 has an easier time time managing the split pieces vs huge rounds by himself.

I don't see why not. It will take a lot of fabricating (and that mower engine will suck a lot of gas while splitting) but it's doable.

You could run the pump with a belt drive off the deck drive pulley and engagement lever. It's already there, use it. Mounting the pump where it won't get damaged is where the fabbing comes in.

The splitter body - cylinder, hoses and all will take some ingenuity to make it practical in a one piece unit you can drive to the work site.

Log splitter buggy, might give some ideas

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PfIBKHQPz0s?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, you could always go more exotic with your conversion, and have attachments like grapples and splitters attached to this bad boy...

every boy needs one...

Mantis - Hexapod Walking Machine Tests 2012 - YouTube

Timberjack has had a "walking" feller buncher/harvester since early 2000, i dont know if theyre production machines, or just prototypes? but they have had them for quite a while...

Timberjack has had a "walking" feller buncher/harvester since early 2000, i dont know if theyre production machines, or just prototypes? but they have had them for quite a while...

That's cool, I'll take one for me birfdaze..lemme see, $1.86 down at 8% per annum, 250 year note....ehh, still can't afford one...

Timberjack Walking Machine - YouTube

Latest posts

Back