Gas Container Recommendation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.nospill.com/products.htm

Anyone use their cans? Not combi-cans but maybe they don't leak like my Wedco combi-can either. I need to find a good gas can for my saw. I'd sure like to find one of those nice Euro-style combi-cans for sale here in the US.
Finnbear

I've got one of those, I was kind of underwhelmed. They're not bad, mind you, but neither are they anything special. The ergonomics of the "trigger" should have been rethunked--they're kinda clumsy to operate. And they do have a tendency to glug a bit.

I have the 1 1/4 gal version. Again, it's not BAD, but it's nothing above ordinary, either. I've only had it a few months, so can't comment about longevity of the seals, either.

I just bought a couple of the UNO justrite cans from Gemplers. 1 1/2 gals and 5 gallons. I've only used the 1 1/2 gallon one so far. It seems okay, but when I release the trigger it still lets gas go out the spout, although less. I took the hose off, and saw that it simply wasn't closing.

So I have to manually push the trigger back to the closed position. ANyone know if they are all this way? A bit annoying, as I have to remember to push the trigger handle down after I use it.

I just bought a couple of the UNO justrite cans from Gemplers. 1 1/2 gals and 5 gallons. I've only used the 1 1/2 gallon one so far. It seems okay, but when I release the trigger it still lets gas go out the spout, although less. I took the hose off, and saw that it simply wasn't closing.

So I have to manually push the trigger back to the closed position. ANyone know if they are all this way? A bit annoying, as I have to remember to push the trigger handle down after I use it.

Mine does not. That's definitely a defect, as it couldn't be labeled a safety can if that were the case.

I would call Gemplers...they are an excellent outfit and will take care of it right away for you.

eat your heart out :D

check out this safety can I scored for $2 last week. all I had to do is replace the cork gasket, which was dried out. now it seals like a champ.

safety can.JPG

Mine does not. That's definitely a defect, as it couldn't be labeled a safety can if that were the case.

I would call Gemplers...they are an excellent outfit and will take care of it right away for you.

I check the other Justrite can I bought and it is fine. I was going to try to learn to live with the 1 1/2 can needing the trigger pushed back the other way after using it, but after your email I decided it was silly to put up with the problem in a new $80 can. So I am going to call Gemplers and exchange it.

I took it apart yesterday, and for some reason the shaft that works the valve sticks, so any fix is not as staightforward as I hoped. I thought if the gasket was rubbing or something I could fix it myself easily, but the issue is internal.

The design seems to work fine so far (except for the defect), except I notice that it is pretty hard to get all the gas out of the can. Since I am going to send the one back, I want to get all the gas out. I don't know where the last gas is getting "trapped" but even shaking it completely upside down small amounts of gas poured out for a long time. Not a problem in use, but kind of interesting.

One more thought I had was to perhaps come up with some sort of "cap" over the end of the hose during storage. They have an elephant style spout that could get dust up it's "nose" during storage it looks like.

As always, Gempler was great in dealing with the defective justrite can. They sent another and we are all squared away.

Here's my impression of my two cans (1.5 gallon and 5 gallon).

http://www.gemplers.com/safety/chemstoragehandling/safetycans/139231.html

PROS:
Well made. If parts and gaskets are available they should last for many years. Seem to seal well, and have a built in pressure release for too much pressure.

Nice control filling saws with the smaller can. Spout is small enough I can see what's going on pretty well, and when I release the trigger the flow stops fairly soon.

CONS:
With the permanently attached elephant style spout, which I do like, they take more space when stored and transported. ALso the round shape makes them pack away a little less easily in my trailer toolbox.

The safety design (I guess) forces you to hold the filler cap open with one hand (on a lever) while filling. If it were up to me, I would be able to lock the filler cap open so I would have two hands to work whatever I was filling the can with, like another can.

One nice thing about plastic cans is you can see how full they are. These you pick them up and guess.

THey have a screen down in the filler cap, but 1) I don't know how you would clean it and 2) and carp that gets in there can get washed back into whatever you are filling. It may pull out, I haven't tried that yet.

Overall I like them.

I am still curious about the Husky style combi cans and if I ever find them in the US I will try some out.

I got this one I like it it's alot better can than I thought it would be and I talked the guy down.

Later,

I just use normal ex-army jerry cans, or for out in the woods a 2 gallon one. And a fancy funnel with a bobbity floating thing which tells me when it's full, so I don't spill any gas.
I still spill gas every time though. And bar oil, as well. One of these days I'll drop a ciggy butt and the whole island will just explode. :D

I am getting close to springing for a couple of these elephant snout styled safety cans.

They are list in two sizes of spout, 2/3 and 1 inch. I assume the smaller size would work better in saws.

Any other feedback from anyone on these cans before I layout that kind of money? Does the fixed spout cause any dirt issues?

Sorry I didn't get back to you before you bought them. The larger spout will not fit into a standard, restricted filler neck on most newer cars. Big for filling a chain saw too.

No problem if you are only using it for equipment with large tank openings. But I like to put any left over gas into my car and was surprised with the larger spout - had to use a funnel. I spec the smaller (5/8) on new cans.

Philbert

With my having to fill my generator multiple times a day I was reminded how most of my plastic gas cans sometimes leak around the spout when pouring in spite of how securely I tighten them. A couple are pretty old now so I think the seal is giving up, which is understandable.

Anyone real happy with a specific brand/model of gas containers over a period of time? I want to get a few more cans and feel I'm shooting in the dark.

Milk jugs aren't doing it for you?

Sorry I didn't get back to you before you bought them. The larger spout will not fit into a standard, restricted filler neck on most newer cars. Big for filling a chain saw too.

No problem if you are only using it for equipment with large tank openings. But I like to put any left over gas into my car and was surprised with the larger spout - had to use a funnel. I spec the smaller (5/8) on new cans.

Philbert

I found that out, kind of a pain. To dump from my 5 gallon justrite into a vehicle I have to pour it into another can because the spout is too big. And on top of that the cans pour very slowly as compared to my other cans.

I don't plan to buy any more justrite cans, just too akward. Fill cap doesn't open very far and needs one hand dedicated to holding it open when filling even at a gas station. And pouring from a big justrite can to a smaller justrite can is ridiculous - almost need two people. To be fair, I do have two I use regularly and like them okay, just won't probably by anymore because of the akwardness of filling them.

Besides convential cheapie cans (which I still use) another can I kind of like is the Husky combo can. A bit funky because of all the spouts, but it works really well for filling saws.

My next new can will probably be one of those no spill CARB cans. Can't have too many fuel cans....

Last edited:
I was in the market for five gallon gas cans for my backup generator. I quickly narrowed the search to Justrite and Eagle. I wanted the basic, metal, Type I can. Here's what I found:

They both appeared to be well made and looked like they would last a long time.

There cost was similar. The Eagle was generally a few bucks cheaper. This did not factor into my decision, I simple mention it for the benefit of others.

The Eagle is shorter, and bit larger in circumference. It appeared to me that the Eagle can is easier to store in my situation. It also appeared to be less likely to tip during transport due to having a lower center of gravity.

The Eagle has a neoprene seal and the Justrite used cork. I found it interesting that Justrite used neoprene seals in their more costly (UNO, etc.) Type II cans. I also found anecdotal evidence that the cork had failed to provide an effective seal with age.

I planned on using the yellow, clip on or snap on spouts. Here, the Eagle was easier to remove and install. The Eagle appeared to be a better design with less chance of improper attachment or wear related failure. It sure is easier to store the cans with the spout removed.

The handle and open/close mechanisms were different, and I could not find one to be better than the other. The handle on the Eagle is a tough plastic. I didn't like plastic, but it appeared to be up to the task.

I'm sure you can predict that I purchased four of the Eagle cans and have been very happy with them. I do not believe any of this applies to the Type II cans. But, for a good, basic Type I can, the Eagle looks like a winner.

Joat

Last edited:
I've never owned a fuel can that was 10x more valuable than the contents. :jawdrop:

Check this out, I once even bought a bottle of water, I never really forgave myself for that one. I do like this can though.

I worked for a large construction company and we always used Eagle 5 gallon and 2 gallon gas cans (we had to use OSHA approved cans). 5 gal for straight gas and 2 gal for mix. They take a lot of abuse, but hold up great. You can get the replacement funnels pretty cheap. If you have trouble finding the cans or replacement funnels try a local contractor supply store i.e. United Rentals or Sunbelt Rentals. I originally bought a plastic one gallon can from Wal-Mart, although I wanted a metal one. Turns out the plastic one had a pin whole leak in it. So I threw it out and picked up a one gallon metal can from Sunbelt for $25. The two gallon cans are pretty handy two, I just don't mix enough gas at a time to justify one.

Latest posts

Back