Gas for Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old man is a mechanic and said, on small engines, they would run tip top on High octane. My company uses cheap gas, hence we have to screw with the High/Low adjustments, he said use High octane, you won't have to udjust anything, and they will rip...SO next week I am filling up a can of High octane for my saws...Reason for the post is cuz once it got cold, my saws dogged....

We use 95octane at a mix of 50:1 with 2 stroke oil. There are a few threads about this in the 'chainsaw' section, have a look there mate, you may get more answers. :)

i like using 110oct with Garry's goo and find my sawz runs better in the cold. cheap gas scores the jugs. at work the boss uses cheap gas and our top handles hardly last a year before compression begins to cause hard starts and poor performance and strange falls outa the tree tops:confused: .

I usually just run regular but have heard that high octane is better so I may make that switch now that it's ( almost ) affordable.

I run high test in the summer and reg. in the winter. I heard somewhere that the lower octane makes more heat and thus runs better in cold weather. I don't know if that's a bunch of BS or not but i heard it on here.

I run high test in the summer and reg. in the winter. I heard somewhere that the lower octane makes more heat and thus runs better in cold weather. I don't know if that's a bunch of BS or not but i heard it on here.

Yes ,that is true lower octane does make more heat.

I have raced ,and built oval track racecars on ,and off 15 yrs now.
Alot of people are mistaking in there thinking of high octane fuel.
They think we run it in hi perfofmance engines to MAKE them faster.
This is not true.You run hi oct.to allow you to run;more ignition timing,compression,and leaner fuel mixture. witch in turn,makes more power .With out the higher oct. there would be pre ignition,and detonation,wich laeds to exccessive heat ,and burnt pistons among other things.
Hi oct gas actually does not ignite as easy as lower oct. does ,there fore it is more precise in burning when it is supposed to.,when plug is energized,and only then.

You are probably right in using low oct. in extreme cold, it will fire sooner than hi oct.,and create more heat.As for me,Im in the south,therefore i use 93oct year round

I personally run te cheapest stuff I can find, I use about 1.5 gallons of 2 cycle a week and havent had any problems with running the cheaper gas with good 2 cycle oil

Shewww..Big Dollar Fuel!!!:dizzy:

Just Regular here and good oil Amsoil or Klotz.
I only have a little saw...

I'll sometimes go a couple of months between cutting. I don't worry about dumping it in a vehicle or running the saw dry every time I finish up an outing.

I have a couple of dollars tied up in saws and I like the extra insurance.

Well worth it to me!

I'll sometimes go a couple of months between cutting. I don't worry about dumping it in a vehicle or running the saw dry every time I finish up an outing.

I have a couple of dollars tied up in saws and I like the extra insurance.

Well worth it to me!
I am missing something..
What is there to gain from running AV fuel??? Insurance???

I recently went through some discoveries on premium fuel.

Some years back (in Missouri), all pumps were obliged (legally) to post a sign if the gas contained alcohol. It seems that alcohol raises the octane, yet decreases the amount of energy in each gallon. Less pinging, but less push, too.

Then they quietly changed the law, and now ALL regular gas in missouri MUST contain 10% ethanol; NO posting is required. It is still legal to sell premium gasoline without any alcohol, but it is nearly impossible to find a gas station that actually sells "alcohol-free" premium gas. It costs more, and there are no posting requirements now, so the public doesn't know the difference; hence not many reasons to sell it.

I found ONE station in the KC area: I called 3 gasoline distributors, and between them all, they only sold alcohol free premium to one gas station. Fortunately, it is close to my shop, and now that station gets all my 2-cycle gas purchases.

The moral of the story: don't assume you are getting good gas, just because you don't see a sign stating otherwise.

I am missing something..
What is there to gain from running AV fuel??? Insurance???

No Ethanol in AV fuel. Longer shelf life. Neat blue color.

Before the 10% ethanol thing started happening, I happily ran 91+ Octane in all of my 2-cycle stuff, used mix with stabilizers in it, and didn't worry about a few gallons of mix sitting around for a few months.

After E10 became all the rage, and before I used the AV fuel, I would keep track of how long I had mix sitting and would put it in my truck after 2 months. Got kinda tired of wasting 2-cycle oil. Also, I wouldn't let mix sit in my equipment for more than a couple of weeks at a time. Might not have been any harm in it, I just didn't do it.

With AV, I don't worry about any of the above.

Less hassle and smells great!

Back