"Gas-less" logging tools for Grizzly Adams

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome stuff! These things may take some time acquiring, but it will be fun trying.

Any particular tools (like saws) that are easier to file, or should I just go with what I can find cheap and make sure it is sharp?

Did some quick online searching on the military surplus engineers toolbox; not finding anything yet, but only just began.

>>mtfallsmikey - i am a big lon solomon fan too.

When shopping for the saws/mauls/wedges and the like don't forget the 2nd hand store. You can save a bundle but will probably have to add some elbow grease to put them back into top condition. In many cases the quality of the used tools there are better than the new ones.

Harry K

besides what has been mentioned

Large buck/bow saw 42" like they used to use for pulpwood, spare blades

Framing chisels, corner chisel and slick

various planes

assorted wedges

Brace with bits

hand augers assorted sizes

boring machine

chaukline plumb bob water level

block and tackles come alongs

carpenters crosscut and rip saws, hand miter box/w saw

all manner of hand sharpening tools

forge and blacksmith tools anvil assorted steel

log dogs

draft horses and harnesses

chains and heavy rope

will think of more....

Good luck finding 42" blades, they aren't imported anymore that I know of. There's a guy in Sweden that lists them but I haven;t looked into shipping, etc., and your tooth style choice is limited to the "peg" style, not the longer "green wood" long tooth I prefer. I still have a couple NOS Fiskars 42" blades left that I guard like gold.

My wife would love for you to come by for a shopping trip.....

Yardsalesaws003.jpg

Yardsalesaws008.jpg

Yardsalesaws007.jpg

Yardsaleitems026.jpg

Good luck finding 42" blades, they aren't imported anymore that I know of. There's a guy in Sweden that lists them but I haven;t looked into shipping, etc., and your tooth style choice is limited to the "peg" style, not the longer "green wood" long tooth I prefer. I still have a couple NOS Fiskars 42" blades left that I guard like gold.

Those long bow saw blades can be refiled to work like new. Don't ever throw one away.

My wife would love for you to come by for a shopping trip.....

Yardsalesaws003.jpg

Wow! Guaging by the length of teeth that saw has seen a _lot_ of use with resharpening concentrated on the "using" area!

<snip>

Spent some time on one end of one of those misery sticks. Dad's cry of "quit riding the saw" still rings in my ears.

Harry K

you will find that older is better. the quality of steel used in tools has gone downhill in the last century.

That goes especially for China made tools. I have broken my share of them and usually they show very coarse grain structure in the metal. Poor heat treatment, poor steel, or both lead to brittle fractures, or the metal is too soft to stand up to repeated use. Top of the line tools have just as good steel as ever. I don't know if the worst old tools were as bad as the general run of Chinese stuff or if they just haven't survived. I don't remember ever using an old striking, lifting, or levering tool was as poor as most of the new Chinese junk. -

What happens when you forget...

I left some of my chainsaw stuff at another location. 16 cords to go, I think I am going to make the time to go get my gear.
Image0170.jpg

Latest posts

Back