Gas Mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and No! I was just causing trouble. I almost always follow the manufactures recommendations.
One of my favorite quotes from a Toyota website had to do with torque specs in a similar post to this. After much argument guy says, "Do you really think a bunch of anonymous internet users know more than Toyota's engineers?"
The newest saws might be different, they may be more picky and a rich condition may have more affect
As others have stated in most cases the which oil/how much oil is way over blown. If you use Stihl's silver bottle oil they will double their warranty. If you use their premixed fuel I believe they will quadruple your warranty. They do not make either of these products just re brand them. So I am sure they put some thought who's oil they sell.
If you ask online they will say only use some other oil. Stihl oil sucks use this ratio and not any other.
My point to the original poster with an 038, if properly tuned, so likely setup at a dealer or with a tach. Which will likely be at 50 to 1. Using their oil at a ratio of 46-44 to 1 or however much gas fits in his not 2.5 gallon gas can will make very little difference. If the chain is sharp, good fresh fuel, air filter, fuel filter, plug, rubber parts are maintained or replaced, that saw will last and run for along time.
I have seen people mix fuel in a saw tank by guessing on its color. I have seen people use fuel they had no idea what its mix was or how old it was, just that it was mixed fuel. In a lot of older manufacturers recommendations for 2 strokes there will be a mixing ratio for 30W oil for emergency cases. Usually says never use bar oil.

The problems I was having with the Yamaha oil was completely cleared up with the 50 to 1 mix with the Stihl silver bottle oil. Kinda pricey, but really woke the saws up. The 461 has a deep throaty sound I haven't heard in a good long time. I will try the Husky at 50 to 1, and then richen it up a bit with subsequent mixes. Problem is I only use 2 gallons a year in cutting all my firewood.

Latest posts

Back