Gas Mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
44/46-1 is probably better then most people do for accuracy. Do you weigh the residue in the bottle? I would be shocked if anything 35-1 to 60-1 was outside the design spec, or taken care of with recommended preventative maintenance and don’t reduce engine life by more then a couple percent.
[/QUOTE

He is just figuring out his ratio based on that he cannot get 2.5 gallons of gas in his can but was using a 2.5 gallon mix bottle.
Now we have created another oil /which mixture do you run thread.
Seems like the huskys with the bearing cups and the 372 have a lot of lower end problems. I run these saws richer than 50 to 1 Hopefully that doesn't make this into a husky versus stihl thread too.

Amsoil Saber in quarts.
I got a quart of that, I have used a couple gallons of it so far. I think it's good oil but there is no where local to me that sells it. I had to order it and pay almost as much shipping as the oil cost. I think I will try Lucas next time. I can get it at O'Reilly for $10 a quart.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I got a quart of that, I have used a couple gallons of it so far. I think it's good oil but there is no where local to me that sells it. I had to order it and pay almost as much shipping as the oil cost. I think I will try Lucas next time. I can get it at O'Reilly for $10 a quart.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Amazon prime
Free shipping

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Now we have created another oil /which mixture do you run thread.
...... Hopefully that doesn't make this into a husky versus stihl thread too.
Sorry, I didn't mean for everyone to do double duty. I should have done a search first. I just freaked a little when I saw 40:1 recommendation.

I am just giving others a hard time. You are getting a lot of responses because everyone is isolated inside and online. In my case not only am supposed to isolate but it is about 20 outside and I am done with winter. It was 5 last night, I had to wonder around in that all night checking cows and calves. Not a fan of winter in April.

About 70 miles N of Yellowstone. I love Montana. Winter gets a little long in the tooth by April especially after the last two. You start to wonder if you are going to make it. I gave a guy a bunch of firewood earlier, he was having a hard time. So now I had to go cut cottonwood

Ah man! I've back packed Glacier several times and I love the mountains. Nothing like it around here. My brother was at home there. Fly fishing in the spring and skiing in the winter. He says there was always something to do year round. He's goes nuts here. Winters' are cold with the wet snow and nothing to do. And I mentioned the Summers.

I was running 44:1 and the Stihls were not running properly, slow to rev, and harder to start. 50:1 and they are like new. I would follow the Manufacturer's recommendation before a bunch conflicting opinions of chainsaw geeks on an internet site.

I would too. They also recommend using certain octane gases, no ethanol. and also gas no older than a month. But they never tell you about that residual oil in the bottle. Do I wash it out? Was it calculated in calculations of the mixing? Good thing they resell that premixed fuel. Takes any worrying out of it, at least that is what the new kid at Mudochs told me.

I would too. They also recommend using certain octane gases, no ethanol. and also gas no older than a month. But they never tell you about that residual oil in the bottle. Do I wash it out? Was it calculated in calculations of the mixing? Good thing they resell that premixed fuel. Takes any worrying out of it, at least that is what the new kid at Mudochs told me.

Do you have any actual experiences?

I was running 44:1 and the Stihls were not running properly, slow to rev, and harder to start. 50:1 and they are like new. I would follow the Manufacturer's recommendation before a bunch conflicting opinions of chainsaw geeks on an internet site.

try a different oil.

there’s a thing with 2 strokes; the more mix-oil you can put through them cleanly, the better. It’s not a debate.

and it matters not one bit that the mix ratio is perfect. 35:1 to 40:1 is good, imo. If you could get it to run clean at 20:1, even better. The machine will simply last longer, or certainly be given the opportunity to last as long as is possible for that model.

the crank needs oil. There needs to always be some residual oil laying in the crankcase. Expert tuners use residual oil as a tuning clue.

it’s a balancing act, this mix-ratio thing...

try a different oil.

there’s a thing with 2 strokes; the more mix-oil you can put through them cleanly, the better. It’s not a debate.

and it matters not one bit that the mix ratio is perfect. 35:1 to 40:1 is good, imo. If you could get it to run clean at 20:1, even better. The machine will simply last longer, or certainly be given the opportunity to last as long as is possible for that model.

the crank needs oil. There needs to always be some residual oil laying in the crankcase. Expert tuners use residual oil as a tuning clue.

it’s a balancing act, this mix-ratio thing...

I might try that. I have been using a Yamaha 2 cycle oil. It is nearly gone and I have a pint of Husky 2 cycle oil to use next.

Amsoil interceptor is a decent oil. Pyramid scheme notwithstanding.

yamalube is good oil, but spoogy. Honda h2 or whatever it’s called is good oil, but a bit spoogy too. Lots of oils do not burn cleanly past about 40:1, or even 45:1.

I was able to get down to 30:1 in the dirt bikes with amsoil dominator and have good, clean burning. Interceptor has a lower flash point, I believe..There was an Elf oil that was really good also. I can’t remember exactly what it was called. That was water cooled bikes, saws are different. I’m not so picky with the saws. As long as thick, hard carbon does not develop, its good.

PS, the “chainsaw geeks” have different motives than the manufacturers with respect to mix. 50:1 is about emissions and perhaps easy tuning, not about maximum power and longevity.

Food for thought for all the guys who very carefully measure their oil to gas ratios.I use chain saws almost every day I prefer heavy mix say 25 to 1 but use 50 to one at times I vary rarely use an exact ratio.But each to their own.I never have to retune the carbs .
We ran a fishing resort for 49 years with 90 percent USA clientelle.Most of the outboards From the USA were OMC which made Evinrude and Johnson the gas tanks they had were 6 US gallons or 5 Canadian gallons.US gallon is 128 Oz Canadian is 160oz .OMC said to mix 50to 1. In USa put in one pint can of omc oil in 6 gallon tank ,Pint can is 16oz.The USA guy comes to Canada asks me to fill his 6 gallon tank and to use OMC oil I grab a pint can of Canadian OMC oil it is 20 oz can in Canada .So much for the manufactures exact oil ratio. Mercury tanks and oil were the same.
Kash

Do you have any actual experiences?
Yes and No! I was just causing trouble. I almost always follow the manufactures recommendations.
One of my favorite quotes from a Toyota website had to do with torque specs in a similar post to this. After much argument guy says, "Do you really think a bunch of anonymous internet users know more than Toyota's engineers?"
The newest saws might be different, they may be more picky and a rich condition may have more affect
As others have stated in most cases the which oil/how much oil is way over blown. If you use Stihl's silver bottle oil they will double their warranty. If you use their premixed fuel I believe they will quadruple your warranty. They do not make either of these products just re brand them. So I am sure they put some thought who's oil they sell.
If you ask online they will say only use some other oil. Stihl oil sucks use this ratio and not any other.
My point to the original poster with an 038, if properly tuned, so likely setup at a dealer or with a tach. Which will likely be at 50 to 1. Using their oil at a ratio of 46-44 to 1 or however much gas fits in his not 2.5 gallon gas can will make very little difference. If the chain is sharp, good fresh fuel, air filter, fuel filter, plug, rubber parts are maintained or replaced, that saw will last and run for along time.
I have seen people mix fuel in a saw tank by guessing on its color. I have seen people use fuel they had no idea what its mix was or how old it was, just that it was mixed fuel. In a lot of older manufacturers recommendations for 2 strokes there will be a mixing ratio for 30W oil for emergency cases. Usually says never use bar oil.

I would not run 60 to 1 this is all EPA mandated BS 32 to 1 prob is the best for the saw but I dont like to breath extra smoke.

Compared to the oils of 30 years ago I don’t see any risk. I was big into snowmobile racing in the early 2000’s and the technology of 2 stroke oils changed by leaps and bounds during that time. In 96 a quart every 100 miles was typical, by 2003 they were running 300 with new synthetics. On my weed wacker that isn’t a high performance engine I rest the engine against my forearm when running, when I gas on top, or worse yet getting the gas first, then estimating the amount of oil, and not thoroughly mixing it. This is typical use for the general public.

Someone that cares enough to get good fuel, good synthetic oil, and mix it properly isn’t going to have an issue with a reasonable +\- on the ratios on 30 something year old equipment.

Latest posts

Back