Gasket remover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotshot

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My pet peeve is scraping the old case & jug gasket off the soft magnesium edges
without damaging it. I'm not too good with a razor blade as I get nicks in the case.

Has anybody had good success with the commercial gasket removers, spray or liquid?

Last edited:
My pet peeve is scraping the old case & jug gasket off the soft magnesium edges
without damaging it. I'm not to good with a razor blade as I get nicks in the case.

Has anybody had good success with the commercial gasket removers, spray or liquid?

Yup gasket remover works.I cant remember which one it is.

3m made some plastic gasket remover wheels that you can put in a drill. The plastic is soft enough that they wont hurt the metal. they work pretty good.

hot shot im at the same point as you let me know if you have any sucess and what you have used

I have also had good luck softening them up with acetone.

I have found that a scotchbrite pad and some acetone along with a little elbow grease works quite well.

3m made some plastic gasket remover wheels that you can put in a drill. The plastic is soft enough that they wont hurt the metal. they work pretty good.

Be careful with what you use. The guy behind the counter at the auto parts store I go to told me when they started carrying Scotchbrite pads for drills they wound up resurfacing lots of heads because customers used them to clean gaskets and made the sealing surfaces of the heads no longer flat. Make sure the wheels you use are for gasket removal.

personally i use a blunt chisel and a framing hammer. and for the really tough stuck on crap, i pull out the big guns! pneumatic chisel:rock:

but seriously, purple power soak, and a razor blade

I get what I can with a razor blade then hone off the rest with a large flat sharpening stone. Leaves the surface flat and just enough texture to hold the gasket really well.

Was taught this by a motorcycle mechanic with 30 + years experience

Be careful with what you use. The guy behind the counter at the auto parts store I go to told me when they started carrying Scotchbrite pads for drills they wound up resurfacing lots of heads because customers used them to clean gaskets and made the sealing surfaces of the heads no longer flat. Make sure the wheels you use are for gasket removal.

The plastic wheels he speaks of are different. I have both. I've used them in automotive applications. They make different colors for different metals too. (iron, aluminum) I would think the aluminum ones would work well. I've used them on the aluminum heads of my mustang.

I've tried some spray-on gasket removers before but the ones I tried created a heluva mess,weren't worth it.
I paid good money for a Snapon scraper years ago,then noticed that a cheap wood chisel with a wide blade from a store worked just as good.

I use locktite gasket remover, but I use it for removing paint unless I'm trying to remove a gasket from an unpainted case. For the gaskets I use those 6"x1/2" metal rulers, the ones machinist use. The round end of the ruler works perfect and hardly ever leaves a scratch.

Good Info

Thanks for the tips, I picked up some #80645 liquid "low VOC" Permatex gasket remover, it has a
built in brush tip applicator to try out. Instructions say to leave it on for 10-15 minutes, so it probably
acts like paint stripper if you get it on the cases where the paint shows..... They also had the standard
"high vapor" (better go open the garage door) spray can stuff too.

Used this alot on the ole Ski-Doo & Sno-Jet bases etc... Havent tried it on a saw yet, but it works very well.

Dont get it on any paint or plastic. Tape off areas in question. Will not run on vertical surfaces.

442-79040_EPS.jpg

Last edited:
Square edge of a piece of plexiglass.softer than the jug or case.Make a clean snap and You have a fresh edge to use.

Don't Buy

I'll try to find some of the Loctite Chisel if I ever need more...

I tried the Low VOC Permatex, let it set for at least 15 minutes, but where the muffler & jug
base has baked the gasket edge, it's still stuck like glue. This was a Mag II Stihl 056 case that
had never been split, so probably 25 years old or older.

Using a broken off plastic knife gets it going quicker, but I would not recommend this
brand of gasket remover, as the cost was over $10 for a small 4 oz bottle at NAPA.

Latest posts

Back