GB Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetrolHead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi All
Wondering if someone can help me out with some info please?
Grabbed a new chain from a small shop today, under the impression it was Carlton. Got home and pulled it out of the box and all looked well until I tried my old File-O-Plate on it, which fits as usual but noticed at once the cutter angle was 30 instead of 35? That's when I also noticed GB stamped on the links. Can anyone tell me what chain I just bought? It looks the same as Carlton?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, that's the new GB Evo chain.

It'll be interesting to see what you think of it. I'm not hopeful from what I hear. ;)

BTW, does it say where it's made at all ? I've been told China but I haven't seen any yet.

Hi All
Wondering if someone can help me out with some info please?
Grabbed a new chain from a small shop today, under the impression it was Carlton. Got home and pulled it out of the box and all looked well until I tried my old File-O-Plate on it, which fits as usual but noticed at once the cutter angle was 30 instead of 35? That's when I also noticed GB stamped on the links. Can anyone tell me what chain I just bought? It looks the same as Carlton?

Thanks in advance.

Until recently GB chain was just rebadged Carlton so made in the USA and good stuff. Now all GB chain (Australian company, well known for it's bars) is coming out of China according to many sources and at the moment is garbage. GB lost the rights to use rebadged Carlton chain late last year from memory.
If you got old stock it would still be Carlton chain rebadged as GB but as Rick said above could also be GB's new stuff. If so, good luck ;)

gb sprocket tips

kinda off-topic, but this seems a good thread to ask questions to australians about gb stuff...

are GB replacement sprocket tips readily available in oz?

i have an un-used 36"pro top bar with a .404 tip... need 3/8".... U.K GB distributor can get me bars, but not sprocket tips:dizzy:

kinda off-topic, but this seems a good thread to ask questions to australians about gb stuff...

i have an un-used 36"pro top bar with a .404 tip... need 3/8".... U.K GB distributor can get me bars, but not sprocket tips:dizzy:

Hello to the mother country ;) Sorry, couldn't help it.
By all accounts replacement tips are hard to get. Not impossible, just very difficult. I've got a few 2nd hand Pro Top 3/8" tips in stock in good condition that I've pressed out of abused bars. I'll never throw a good nose sprocket out!
By the way, I've never tried to order any but know from a few guys in the industry that they take a while to arrive. Generally not needed as they're pretty tough but understand what you mean about swapping chain pitch.

Yes i got two 3/8 .063 sprocket tips from Centrephone in the mail today,they were about $25 ea.
:)

Thanks for the quick replies.
No indication of where the chain was made, came in a Carlton box. All the Carlton I've used in the past was ground at 35 and as stated, this one is at 30, so that might be a clue. Frustrating at the moment, Stihl RM is sometimes hard to find in .058 and local stockers of Oregon only sell low kick back chain. I have no idea who sells Carlton here in Adelaide?

Thanks again.

Until recently GB chain was just rebadged Carlton so made in the USA and good stuff. Now all GB chain (Australian company, well known for it's bars) is coming out of China according to many sources and at the moment is garbage. GB lost the rights to use rebadged Carlton chain late last year from memory.
If you got old stock it would still be Carlton chain rebadged as GB but as Rick said above could also be GB's new stuff. If so, good luck ;)

Matt, if it has GB stamped on the drive links it'll be the new Evo chain from the pics I've seen.

Thanks for the quick replies.
No indication of where the chain was made, came in a Carlton box. All the Carlton I've used in the past was ground at 35 and as stated, this one is at 30, so that might be a clue. Frustrating at the moment, Stihl RM is sometimes hard to find in .058 and local stockers of Oregon only sell low kick back chain. I have no idea who sells Carlton here in Adelaide?

Thanks again.

sawchainsupplyqueanbeyan (rooshooter) Laurie

www.centrephone.com

Both sell Carlton chain.

Last edited:
Matt, if it has GB stamped on the drive links it'll be the new Evo chain from the pics I've seen.

Just realised you said drive links mate and yeah, you'd be right, it would be the new EVO chain. If it has A1, A2, B3, N1 etc etc stamped on the drivelinks and GB on the tie straps it'll be rebadged Carlton.

Last edited:
Oh Ok.
The GB/Carlton stuff one of the local suppliers used to stock was all branded Carlton last time I went through his chain.

FWIW the pic I have has GB on the strap and C1 on the drive link.

Oh Ok.
The GB/Carlton stuff one of the local suppliers used to stock was all branded Carlton last time I went through his chain.

FWIW the pic I have has GB on the strap and C1 on the drive link.

Yeah the "C" on the drivelink is not a Carlton code according to what I've got. All the boxed GB chain I have (over 1000') is all branded GB on the tie straps but drivelink codes same as Carlton. This may not have always been the case though. Funnier things have happened with GB. They've also sold Carlton branded and boxed chain at times as far as I'm aware.

Ok, I cocked up in my description, this chain has GB on the straps, not the "links" as I put it and A2 on the drive links. Sorry about that, If I said that in the first place I think I would have made it easier to answer. Thanks too for the Web links, I've book marked both; lots of goodies on there to drool over.

Happy.

Ok, I cocked up in my description, this chain has GB on the straps, not the "links" as I put it and A2 on the drive links. Sorry about that, If I said that in the first place I think I would have made it easier to answer. Thanks too for the Web links, I've book marked both; lots of goodies on there to drool over.

Happy.

Not a problem mate. What you've got is 3/8" .058" Carlton chain from GB, not the newer Chinese stuff.

I havn't used Carlton chain for a long while now, mainly because it takes twelve months or so for me to go through two chains. It would have been interesting to test "Evo" chain (sorry Tri-Rick), but as it stands, I was lucky enough to get the Carlton/GB. The File-O-Plate works as good as the day I bought it, what a fantastic tool, I think it's a very clever design.

Any way, I've almost finished for the day, so I'd like to say thank you once again for you knowledge, and hope to contribute a little myself sometimes.

Here's a pic :-

http://users.adam.com.au/wford/Firewood/Home/09-08-09.jpg

Last edited:
GB Chains

HI
For what it's worth I had purchased a GB EVO 2 chain from Ebay - VERY cheap!
So far it has been as good as my carlton chains. Spent a big day cutting large hard wood and the chain remained sharp. It hasn't stretched as is the problem with some cheap chains. It sharpens to a nice sharp chain easily.

For the price I certainly will buy more

Regards

Back