Generator question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I have never worked on one before, but I got one for $30 last night that needs work.
It is missing the capacitor.
I have an old 110V compressor that has a capacitor on it and am curious if I can use it.
Might be a dumb question, but honestly I don't know the difference in them.
If the microfarad rating is the same, should work. There should be a MF rating on the outside of each capacitor.

Without knowing what was there, I couldn't even guess if what you have will work. I don't know much about generators.

The important number on that cap is the 12(glare)uf. What's that third digit? 120-129uf likely won't make any difference as it's very close to being within the 5% tolerance anyway.

You might be able to use the generator model number to find an IPL with the info, or Google pictures and find a photo of the cap that someone else has taken.

Or toss it in and see if it works. Might just excite the coils, and beyond that make no difference.

Without knowing what was there, I couldn't even guess if what you have will work. I don't know much about generators.

The important number on that cap is the 12(glare)uf. What's that third digit? 120-129uf likely won't make any difference as it's very close to being within the 5% tolerance anyway.

You might be able to use the generator model number to find an IPL with the info, or Google pictures and find a photo of the cap that someone else has taken.

Or toss it in and see if it works. Might just excite the coils, and beyond that make no difference.
I'm guessing it a brushless powerhead, needs the proper cap to be safe and not damage sensitive electronics. The IPL should have that cap listed as OM617YOTA suggested.

Attachments

• Sincro EP272L, EP295L Use And Maintenance Manual.pdf
    289.7 KB · Views: 1
I did not read all of this BUT
as a electronic tech and electrician that works on gen's.
You will save lots of time trying to do any tests without the cap. Best to just sacrifice about $20 for a new cap after you get the engine running good and then test. Make sure Bubba did not leave any other wires dangling/disconnected. It's common for those caps to fail.
The cap for the Generator is critical in microfarad (uf) value to produce correct output voltage under varying loads.
I suggest you tape off and insulate the cap leads so as they do not touch anything and get the engine running then install the proper cap. and check the output voltage on a AC voltmeter as so as the engine starts.

Get back to us with a model number of the complete unit if it does not gen.
I can find and cross reference several of those CHausfield units with a good EXACT model number of the complete unit.

Here is a link to a site that has forums for generator/welders, etc that lots of info can be acquired ONCE YOU GET REGISTERED and post.
The site is not really user friendly for me from the home page but here is a link to the electrical section for generators.
You can scroll down in this link and see some questions that has been asked about Brushless AC generators, capacitors generators, etc. just to get an idea. You might also look at the FAQ section about gens to get some ideas about your brushless gen, how to check the rotor/diodes, etc if it does not gen after replacing the cap.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forums/generators-electric-motors-general-discussion.6/

Thanks for the help!
Ordered a capacitor to check it out.
Hopefully I can get this generator running good.
Basically just need it to run the fridge and freezer in a power outage or my tools at the far side of my property.
I doubt it sees much use, which is why I bought one that needed work, but was cheap.

Latest posts

Back