Gentlemen Saw Users or Geeks or Nerds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's with all the videos and pictures of gentlemen gently cutting perfectly cleaned wood--perfectly set up wood--clean saws--manicured lawns--and then "testing" saws in such conditions.

Nope, saws should be tested in real conditions that they were made for. On hillsides, cutting up a tree that embeded the bottom of the log into the dirt during falling, on a rainy 40 degree day, with slash all around, and on ground that you have to pack the saw uphill both ways.

Places where the chunks roll, cussing is legal, and you better have some wedges handy.

No more cutting "cookies" off small chunks set up on crossbucks! Or is that reality?:confused::popcorn:

What's with all the videos and pictures of gentlemen gently cutting perfectly cleaned wood--perfectly set up wood--clean saws--manicured lawns--and then "testing" saws in such conditions.

Nope, saws should be tested in real conditions that they were made for. On hillsides, cutting up a tree that embeded the bottom of the log into the dirt during falling, on a rainy 40 degree day, with slash all around, and on ground that you have to pack the saw uphill both ways.

Places where the chunks roll, cussing is legal, and you better have some wedges handy.

No more cutting "cookies" off small chunks set up on crossbucks! Or is that reality?:confused::popcorn:

With all due respect to you and your profession ma'am, yes, for some of us, that is reality. We do not cut wood for a living, I don't even heat with it. I do love running anything mechanical, especially chainsaws. I'm on the other side of the continent from the PNW and unfortunatley have only one tree on my suburban property. I make no claims to my sawyer expertise and admire people like yourself who have the opportunity ( and capitalize on it) to do that sort of work professionaly. For those of us stuck in the 'burbs, it's the closest we can get. BTW, we have a lot of fun with it.

Where are your vids?;)

I posted a vid of me lost in tree top brush on Saturday evening. I was a filthy sweaty pig. No slopes, but no cookie cutting either. For once I was actually "working" my saws, lol:)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NJUl3gPX07o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NJUl3gPX07o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Slowp,

I was falling snags and clearing blowdown from trails Saturday. No video, but I hope that counts for something...

I had to dodge some dog poo getting to my woodpile yesterday. That was close! Good thing I was wearing my PPE (Puppy Poo Evaders).;)

Here's the 088 41" 404 setup in action.
I do have a video of the 395 dropping this this same tree but unfortunately it only shows how anemic a stock saw is.:cry:

Trouble maker. I caught a winch handle in my upper front jaw last week.

Yes, I used all of the words I learned in the Marine Corps.

The on-site Dalmation retrieved my sawdust (and now dog slobbered on) covered glasses from the saw dust pile.

Lots of blood, upper lip cut and best part?????

Was the new customer asking, "Does that hurt"? After SHE was well within earshot of my "professional tirade".

And so it goes.............

Using a saw on the ground is for sissies!:)

Don't you do any tree climbing?

/
Treeco, you shouldn't be refering to your groundies as sissies!
Wouldn't abhorists or hortwankers be a more respectful term!!?
Don't make me call in the heavies
Gypo

Last edited:
No professional here, just like to run a saw. Spent Sunday cleaning up an old growth tree from storm damage. Spent 4 hours running the 044 solid. Just the limbs were 20-30", it was a good time. pwoller was there too runnin the 032AV. Volunteered the saw and time for a buddy of ours. Started as a huge mess and ended up a nice pile of future firewood. That's good enough for me!

Wally the neighbors attack dog. Usually my lunch gets stolen by him.

wally.jpg

One of the better locations, sawing out picnic tables from spruce.

001.jpg

One of my pics that was used on the Norwood brochure.

099.jpg

And one of the finished product.....

080-1.jpg

And the glory of it all..........

028-3.jpg

I am done now...bored enough people here.....it is all Slowp's fault.

I am just a humble firewood junky. I enjoy running my saws and working my butt off! It is nice to be outside doing real work, not being stuck behind a computer. Not many "big" tall trees around here to cut, but what I do have is fine. It all burns and keeps my 4000 ft house nice and warm. It is nice to piss off the propane guy with large stacks of firewood and alittle smoke coming out of the stove! When you can save well over $2800 to $3400 per winter burning firewood or propane. And lose some weight and gain some upper body strength. Then it is all good! :monkey:

:cheers:

Using a saw on the ground is for sissies!:)

Don't you do any tree climbing?

/

Don't give her any ideas!

Next thing you know she'll post one of herself 180' feet up a Doug fir, running an 066 one handed, and filming it with the other! lol

Mr. HE:cool:

Sir, you do not know what you are missing.Good , no "Great" people,excellent conversations, and good cold weather. Lots of fun.If you would like to learn how to have a good time,simply wait until someone has a GTG in your area.This was my first in NY 2004, mid March I believe at Jokers Homestead.Some great burgers. I enjoyed every minute. On the video, no audio for the first 30 seconds, Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASU_CEpRRk

Im just a wanab(LOL). I just enjoy running the saws, either cuttin firewood, small clearing jobs, or cuttin cookies. Just some time to spend outside. The true joy of it all, to me anyways. Although you make a living in the woods, I just dont believe that is for me.

Sir, you do not know what you are missing.Good , no "Great" people,excellent conversations, and good cold weather. Lots of fun.If you would like to learn how to have a good time,simply wait until someone has a GTG in your area.This was my first in NY 2004, mid March I believe at Jokers Homestead.Some great burgers. I enjoyed every minute. On the video, no audio for the first 30 seconds, Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASU_CEpRRk

:hmm3grin2orange: If you're referring to Slowp it's not "Sir"...it's "Ma'am". She's been to two PNW GTGs and was a welcome addition at both. She uses a saw on a frequent basis opening up roads for the Forest Service and cuts her own firewood. I've seen her run a saw. She's good. She annoys loggers. For a living.

She has a rather unhealthy fixation on the color pink, thinks loggers should wear more fashionable and color coordinated clothes and tends to decorate saws with Barbie stickers when the owner isn't looking but since she makes what are probably the best huckleberry pies on the Left Coast we tend to overlook things like that. She brings the pies to the GTGs

:She has a rather unhealthy fixation on the color pink, thinks loggers should wear more fashionable and color coordinated clothes and tends to decorate saws with Barbie stickers

slowp was the inspiration to decorate my old 361 with My Little Pony stickers to keep the other guys on the crew from using it. The poor saw died of terminal embarrassment the day I stickered it up. Now I have to use more manly stickers like mudflap girls and hotrod parts suppliers and booze logos.

As far as videos, I don't have any of me doing anything gnarly and interesting. When I'm at work, there better not be anybody standing around with enough spare time to video record me. The only time I ever made a chainsaw video was when I was putting the saw up for sale, so I just cut up a log in my woodpile.

:hmm3grin2orange: If you're referring to Slowp it's not "Sir"...it's "Ma'am". She's been to two PNW GTGs and was a welcome addition at both. She uses a saw on a frequent basis opening up roads for the Forest Service and cuts her own firewood. I've seen her run a saw. She's good. She annoys loggers. For a living.

She has a rather unhealthy fixation on the color pink, thinks loggers should wear more fashionable and color coordinated clothes and tends to decorate saws with Barbie stickers when the owner isn't looking but since she makes what are probably the best huckleberry pies on the Left Coast we tend to overlook things like that. She brings the pies to the GTGs

Schmoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooozer!!!!

Now, where the hell is that pie????

Latest posts

Back